Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your goal weight still considered 'overweight'?

I was just playing around with the old BMI calculator and the goal I have set for myself (145-150 lbs) is still considered to be "overweight" for my height. I am 5 ft 1.5 inches and I look malnourished at 130 lbs. I'm perfectly content being considered overweight on the charts, but I have to admit it does kind of miff me a little bit that my goal is still out of the 'norm' range. Who am I kidding? I've been morbidly obese for so long, overweight looks like a nice alternative anyway LOL

Does anyone else have a final goal weight that is still considered to be overweight?

I will also be considered overweight for the rest of my life! haha!!! I am large boned and 5ft 8.5inch tall. and I was 185lbs my senior year in high school and I was very thin. Of course that was many many yrs ago but I have been down to about 220 and I am wearing a size 14. Im ok with being "overweight". I have been morbidly obese for most of my adult years and overweight is OK. Actually looking forward 2 it!! LOL

yeah, my goal is 175 and I am 5' 10". So my BMI would be 25.1. I was 135 in high school but I just dont want to be that thin again.

At a pre-op class I attended, they pointed out that for many of us we will be overweight when all is said and done. But that is a far cry better than being obese or super obese.

And darn it all, I am just a few lbs away from "normal"---yeah, like I'll ever be normal at anything! he he he he he!!

Denise

My actual goal is within a healthy normal weight range. However, the goals set by my nutritionist and my surgeon, both which are different, are both in the overweight range. I have already surpassed my nutritionist's goal, so onto my surgeon's goal, then onto my goal.

I'm 5' 5.5" tall and my initial goal weight is 160, which is still considered overweight. I figure, once I hit that, we'll see about readjusting it. Let me get there first, then I'll worry about it! lol

I'm 5ft 10 and 150 which was pretty much my goal weight (would love to be 145, just cant seem to get there). Its not overweight.

but I'm not particularly thin, bony, or scrawny, just healthy. I still have a pretty good cover of flesh. So I guess we all have different body types, but at 5ft 1, you're very short and I just cant envisage how you'd look "malnourished" at 130. That's a very healthy weight. I think its more that your perception skews as you get heavier (and everyone around us does too!) People are so big these days that normal weight people can look very skinny by comarison. That's just my opinin of course, and shouldnt matter to you and your goals, but it just shows that its a matter of your perception, not necessarily reality.

Why not go for your original goal and see how you go from there? To just be overweight, on the one hand, you've eliminated the major health risks of obesity by the time you reach that goal, but on the other, why have surgery to settle for that? Surgery is the on thing that enables people to move from mediocre results to really great ones. But if you think you look fabulous at 145-150, you're the one whose opinion counts and as long as you're happy you can count yourself as very successful!

Edited by Jachut

I have always had the number 135 in my head beause when I was a pre teen my doctor told me at 5'6" thats a healthy, good looking weight. It seems to always say so on BMI calculators too.

It's funny how we get these certain numbers stuck in their heads!

I am 5'5" and am going for 149 which would put me right on the very edge of the 'healthy' range. My surgeon agrees that this is a good goal for me. Ultimately, I'm gonna end up where I end up, though. Me and my body and this band are only going to do so much before we say enough is enough. I am willing to do a lot to get there... follow the rules, exercise a lot, etc., but I won't overtighten my band so much that I have complications or misery from it.

At 5'5 my ultimate goal is 146. My dr's say because of my muscle mass I will probably never get there and should set a goal of 185 or 175 at the lowest. But the first goal is 215. Then again I'd be happy with 250, the lowest I'd gotten down to in all my major weightloss was 287. I'm lower than that now (I think, I'll know for sure tomorrow.) So we'll see just how low I can go.

I had no idea how to choose my goal weight, so I picked a "normal BMI" weight, which for me at 5'8" is around 158, I think. I hope I'll get there. And maybe even lower! Time will tell.

I am 5' 3". Right now, my goal is to keep losing and get healthier. I am not going to set a firm goal. When I get where I'm happy, I'll know it.

I'm 5'3 and my goal weight is 140 which is a healthy range *but* if I get to 160 and I think I look and feel good there, then I'm willing to revise it.

yup - add me to that list.

I'm 5 2 1/2 and my goal weight is 150. I'll still be considered overweight on the charts. :thumbdown: I say to hell with those charts. My doctor said that's a perfectly fine goal for me and if I'm happy with that when I get there than that's good enough for me. I'll just be happy to get there and maintain that weight.:smile2:

Hi:

I started at 324 pounds. I had no idea what my goal would be in pounds. I set a goal to be in size 12 clothes. I can wear most 12's and all 14's now.

My healthy bmi would be 159 pounds. I have gone as low as 174 and people were asking me if I was ill. It's amazing what a difference ten pounds can make on someone's face. I looked gaunt at 174 and am healthy looking at 180 to 185. I choose looking healthy.

I carry alot of my weight in my legs and it seems that if I were to lose enough to make my legs normal-sized I'd be looking like a skeleton from the waist up. So, I'll just wear pants and look healthy:wink:.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue