Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 weeks banded and No weight loss.

Hi,

I was banded on the 12th Nov 2009. I lost about 7-8 kg on the pre-op diet. I got banded and I haven't lost anything. I am quite frustrated as I feel I eat less and I get the 'stuck' feeling....when do people generally get their first fill. I haven't had any fills yet.

Any information appreciated.

Kity1_cat

I am right there with you! I was banded on Nov. 17th and when I went home, I had lost about 18lbs from pre-op diet and Clear Liquids only. I haven't lost a pound since.

I had my first fill on Dec. 17th, but still did not feel restriction. Occasionally something gets stuck, but I can eat way more than I know I am supposed to.

I started journaling food again - which I SWORE I would never do again, and I am eating too many calories, but I am hungry all the time. I still think I am eating less than I did before surgery, so I feel like I should be losing.

I do need to exercise more too. However, what I am doing is, again, more than I was doing before.

I am thinking about calling for another fill before my next one is scheduled on 1/29.

Good Luck. I keep telling myself that this is going to work, but it's hard to believe when the scale is not moving. :)

You may be eating less but what are you eating less of? Are you eating Protein solids and then veggies? Do you find yourself snacking in between? Do you have an exercise plan and are you doing it? These may all be things you want to check and see if you are doing. They could be the answer to why you are not losing weight. For me, particularly in the beginning, I stuck to small amount of protein solid (eat it first) then small amount of green veggie. Nothing else. Twice a day. Protein Shake in the morning. Good Luck.

Count me in the no-loss bunch. I've been eating my Protein, eating less overall, and getting a moderate amount of exercise, but I still haven't lost a pound since my surgery in the middle of October. After 2 fills I don't really have any restriction so I'm hoping that my fill on Monday will finally give me some restriction to work with. For me it's been a very slow start but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for your replies....I am glad I have the support here. I am hoping to see my doctor in a week. I must admit, my choices of food aren't the best...I have to keep working at it. I swore I would never 'diet' again.....mmm...lots of emotions at the moment.

Kity1_cat

Thanks for your replies....I am glad I have the support here. I am hoping to see my doctor in a week. I must admit, my choices of food aren't the best...I have to keep working at it. I swore I would never 'diet' again.....mmm...lots of emotions at the moment.

Kity1_cat

Cat,

You don't need to 'diet'...but you do need to make good food choices. It's possible to eat less but eat more calories if you make bad food choices too often.

If you aren't losing weight, and your activity level is the same as preop, then despite 'eating less', your calorie intake is the same as it was prior to your surgery.

Hang in there...it does get better once your band is working with you. I'm about 9 weeks post op and have lost only 17 pounds...and 7 of it this last week since I've reached restriction.

As others have mentioned, I would really recommend paying close attention to the QUALITY of the food you take in and the order in which you eat it. Protein first, veggies second, carbs third.

Also, exercise exercise exercise!!!! A great goal for exercise would be 5 days / wk.

This band is NOT going to work as long as you have the same habits as before. Remember, the band is a tool...let it help you!