Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medications that can't be crushed; how do they go through the Band?

Hey everyone. I'm on several meds for my bipolar disorder and on a big thick capsule for Migraines. My pharmacist insists that most of them cannot be crushed or the capsules broke open. Only a couple of them can be changed to liquid. How do you do this after being banded? Will they stay down/go through the band at all?

Blessings, Michelle

Hey everyone. I'm on several meds for my bipolar disorder and on a big thick capsule for Migraines. My pharmacist insists that most of them cannot be crushed or the capsules broke open. Only a couple of them can be changed to liquid. How do you do this after being banded? Will they stay down/go through the band at all?

Blessings, Michelle

I am looking forward to the responses to your questions. I also am on a TON of meds for bipolar and diabetes and high blood pressure, cholesterol etc. I cannot crush or open capsules on several of them. I have been opening some capsules because I am afraid of not taking them. Some of the very small tablets I have started trying to swallow and so far haven't had any problems (keep your fingers crossed for me). Wish us luck that someone answers. Maybe one of the DOCs will answer. Have you asked your Psy. about the meds? Good Luck. :smile2:

I take several meds, large and small and they just make me feel full until they dissolve enough in the pouch to pass through into the main stomach. I have pretty good restriction so it takes a while for meds to pass. I take chewable vitamins and Calcium and sometimes cut my tylenol into smaller pieces so they will pass faster. The pouch opening can be as small as the eraser on a pencil. Some digestion/melting does take place in the pouch.

Mimi

For the first 3 months I crushed everything. But now I just take them. I take all mine in the morning after I had some coffee so the band is not so tight. So far no trouble. If you can cut them in half do it, if not you should be able to take them. My Dr. wants me to crush everything but I just can't do it . . . . taste too terrible

For the first 3 months I crushed everything. But now I just take them. I take all mine in the morning after I had some coffee so the band is not so tight. So far no trouble. If you can cut them in half do it, if not you should be able to take them. My Dr. wants me to crush everything but I just can't do it . . . . taste too terrible

Sooooo... First is your coffee Decaf? I really miss my coffee. (2nd) How soon could you start drinking it? (3) I have my 2nd followup appointment 3 weeks after my surgery. Do you think I will get my first fill then? It will be 4 weeks then. (4) Why does coffee make your band less tight?

Is that enough questions? I am sorry if they seem dumb, but I would love to be able to just take my capsules and pills because you're right it taste TERRIBLE!! :smile2::wink2:

Any pills that are on the small side I just take without crushing and havent had any trouble. Whenever I need to take something that's about the size of a tylenol or bigger I split it in half with my pill splitter and it all goes down fine. :biggrin:

If you have large pills that cannot be split you may need to talk to the doctor that prescribed them about changing you over to another drug that can be split or comes in liquid form. I took one of my drugs in liquid form for about a month after surgery. It was awful! :tongue: Boy was I happy when the doctor said I could start swallowing pills again! :angel_smile:

I was a little concerned with this as well,but when I mentioned it to my GP he says there is no problem,different tablets get absorbed in different areas of the body. I was worried in case they got stuck above the band but after nearly 2 years of taking my same meds,I have had no problems. Good luck everyone in their band journey. :)

I have no problem taking pills at all. Have even taken 3 Advil Liquid gels at the same time with no consequences. (wasn't thinking, just tossed them back) I'm at a decent level of restriction.

Weird, but pills seem to be the one thing I have the most trouble with. I've been at good restriction for many months now. I can eat bread (which many can't) but pills just seem to get stuck and hurt like all heck until they finally pass. I have sworn off some OTC ones that I can't split - others I have to either split, ask for liquid, or do without. I recently had to take Augmentin - a HUGE antibiotic pill. They assured me they were scored so could be cut in half. Well, half was still way too big so I had to try to cut them into smaller pieces, at which point they usually crumbled - talk about nasty! Next time I WILL be making sure I get liquid!

Apparently different things bother different people, so I say as long as they don't hurt going down you are probably fine. If you reach the point of needing to change the form, you'll know it! Good luck!