Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it me or is this too painful?

I was banded Friday, January 23rd. I woke up in recovery with severe pain. When they tried to walk me the where they could get an x-ray, I got dizzy and needed to sit down. After the x-ray, I almost started to vomit, but it came out like 2 huge burps. It was painful for my stomach to lurch. That night, I was regretting the procedure because it was soo painful. I finally got some painkillers, but it's day 2 and it's the gas pain that's keeping me down. I've been burping, but it's still there. I've been walking around to try to loosen it up, but I can only do that for a few minutes before it becomes to painful. I feel like I need to go poo, but nothings there. Of course, nothings there because I haven't eaten anything solid in the last 48 hours. Did anyone else feel this extreme pain and when did the gas pain let up?

I keep telling myself it will let up and it will be all worth it. Just concerned on how bad I feel.

GET GAS-X STRIPS NOW!!! lol. Seriously I didn't have anymore gas pain after I started using those. Right after surgery it's normal to be dizzy because of the meds they used to put you out and keep you out. It takes a couple days to get that completely out of your system. Try the Gas-X strips...I got the cinnamon ones and they're not bad at all. It's good that you haven't had anything solid in 48 hours...my post-op diet was liquid only for like a week or something, then thicker liquids (creams), then mushies and then finally solids added in. Also as you add in broths and puddings you'll get bowels back. Some of the pain meds can cause Constipation so you may need to take something to help with that. My surgeon also prescribed me an antinausea meds. It get's better. I think for me day 3 was the worst! You just had surgery and there's going to be pain. Try to stay up on your pain meds as directed. Don't wait until you're in pain...stay on top of it :w00t: Congrats and good luck...it will get better!

I was banded on the 22nd. I was also in quite a bit more pain than I had expected to be in. I'll tell you this though, today is day 3 and I feel 200% better! Hang in there - the gas will get out - the pain will lessen, and according to everyone here, we will LOVE our bands.

Do take the advice given above though and stay on top of your pain meds. I did and it does help.

Check back and let us know how you're doin...

I was banded Friday, January 23rd. I woke up in recovery with severe pain. When they tried to walk me the where they could get an x-ray, I got dizzy and needed to sit down. After the x-ray, I almost started to vomit, but it came out like 2 huge burps. It was painful for my stomach to lurch. That night, I was regretting the procedure because it was soo painful. I finally got some painkillers, but it's day 2 and it's the gas pain that's keeping me down. I've been burping, but it's still there. I've been walking around to try to loosen it up, but I can only do that for a few minutes before it becomes to painful. I feel like I need to go poo, but nothings there. Of course, nothings there because I haven't eaten anything solid in the last 48 hours. Did anyone else feel this extreme pain and when did the gas pain let up?

I keep telling myself it will let up and it will be all worth it. Just concerned on how bad I feel.

Minnah,

My surgery experience was a lot like yours. I was in recovery a long time. Then when they woke me and said I needed to go get an xray, I was in real pain. They didn't make me walk but they wheeled me to the xray room. By the time I got there I was REAL nauseous and was going to upchuck if they made me drink that stuff. So they decided to wait and wheeled me back to my bed.

They gave me some anti nausea and waited an hour or so. Then we wheeled back, and I was able to do their dumb xray test, man that liquid stuff was awful. Then back to my bed for a little broth. It still took me another hour to feel ok enough to go home.

The gas pain was the worst. I could feel it up in my neck it was VERY painful for the first 3 days. I also took the gas-x and it helped. It's not gas you can burp out it is inside your body but has no outlet. It needs to disipate through your pores, which takes time.

I didn't poo till 3 days out. I worried about it but now 3 weeks out- I realize that nothing was wrong. A little in means a little out. Give yourself time to recover. You'll see that it was worth it.

Hang in there!! I was banded on the 20th this past Tuesday. I too felt like CRAP! I too thought was it worth it, what did I do to myself! I've woke up at 2am and 4am in the mornings feeling like i need to puke. But I can HONESTLY tell you that TODAY is a NEW DAY! I feel soooo much better. You just have to make yourself drink Protein about every hour. You wont be able to get alot down, but DRINK! Drink Water, juice, Water juice!! I know how you feel, I just kept coming back here and reading post. If it were not for this forum and support I dont know what I would have done. Hang in there baby!! I know its easy to say, but take your pain meds and drink! It WILL GET BETTER!!!

XOXOXOXOX

Nikki

:w00t:

My only problem was the gas pain. It was so intense that I didn't believe it was gas. I went to the chiropractor, got a massage, used Bio Freeze, took Advil, went to my PCP who prescribed muscle relaxants, tried Gas X (just in case), the works. I spent hundreds of dollars in my first ten days after surgery. When I went to my post op (on day 10), I told them that everything was great from surgery but I had this pinched nerve feeling that I couldn't get rid of (sincerely thought it was unrelated to surgery). The surgeon told me to get some Mylanta or Maalox with simethicone in it (you have to check the label). So I bought a bottle and drank some in the car. By the time I got back to my office, my shoulder pain was completely gone and stayed gone for more than 48 hours. Today I had the beginnings of the shoulder pain again so took one dose and it disappeared. If Gas X doesn't help you, please try something with simethicone in it. I am amazed and sure wish I would have known about it sooner.

As for your other pains, hang in there. It gets better faster than you can imagine. :w00t:

Take a dose of Milk of Magnesia. I was banded Thursday, January 22nd and took some yesterday. I pooped a few hours later :confused: and it seemed to take the gas pain with it. I've never been so happy to poop.

I'm one day ahead of you and what a difference a day makes. I was only out of bed for an hour or so yesterday. Today I'm up doing laundry and some light housework. I feel sore but sore like you get two days after a really hard ab workout.

Hang in there. It'll get better tomorrow.

Thank you everyone! I took a dose of Milk of Magnesia and was able to exspell some gas. I would stay in bed, but my husband makes me get up and walk a bit. However, I am spending a majority of time in bed close to my pain meds. I also started drink some broth. Do you think I should try to start taking some of the protien shakes? I tried some this morning, but only got in 3 sips before I had to put it down.

You really need to try to walk around as much as you can stand to. The walking also helps expell the gas and helps get your bowels moving again! Also walking around will help prevent blood clots. It's hard I know, but try :confused: Good luck and congrats again :sneaky:

Hi Minnah,

Just wondered how are you doing now? Has it got any better? Would love to know how you are. Hope you are feeling better.:rolleyes: