Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Excess Skin - Abdominal Apron

Views
Started by bj4200, Nov 23, 2008 9:25 AM
8 replies to this topic
8 replies to this topic

bj4200

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted November 23, 2008 - 9:25 AM

I have lost about 40 pounds (DOS Sept 2007). I have developed a painful rash under the "apron" of skin on my abdomin. What is the treatment for this? Do I need to see a doctor? Thanks.

Posted November 23, 2008 - 9:43 AM

I have the same thing. Definitely go see your doctor. Documentation of the rash can possibly make your insurance pay to have your "apron" or panniculus removed!!! I put cotton fabric under it and let it dry out ...makes it a lot more comfortable! I hope you feel better soon!

2GoodDogs

I wanna be a big loser

• Surgeon: William Johnson
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 330
  • Weight Lost: 164
  • Current Weight: 166
  • Goal Weight: 158
  • BMI: 29.4
  • My Blogs
Posted November 23, 2008 - 9:45 AM

I use zinc oxide ointment to clear up the rash overnight.
Bathing and carefully drying that area is working for me.

If you think a skin removal surgery is in your future, start documenting the rashes with dates, and pictures. My general physician is keeping records so if the time comes, we have the data the insurance company will want as documentation.

hungry4help

Expert Member

Posted November 23, 2008 - 2:10 PM

I have lost about 40 pounds (DOS Sept 2007). I have developed a painful rash under the "apron" of skin on my abdomin. What is the treatment for this? Do I need to see a doctor? Thanks.

my primary care phys prescriped clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream. it's a mouthful, i know! stuff works well and isn't very messy. also, i've been told that having been prescribed anti-fungals helps your case when it comes time to ask your insurance carrier to cover a TT/pani.

best of luck.

CapitolChick

aka: Jenn

• Surgeon: William Neal
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • My Blogs
Posted November 23, 2008 - 8:29 PM

if you can't afford to go to the doctor, I have used bagbalm (it is a green tin with a cow on it) it is for chaffed cow utters :laugh: but it now sold for human use. It will make the infection go away and heal your raw skin. Also, you need to some how stop the skin to skin contact during the day and night until it is healed. Try some clean cotton and put it betwen your skin folds. Another item the doctor told me to do is use a fan or hair dryer (on cool setting) and make sure your skin is really dry after a bath or shower.

lorrie ottawa

Posted November 27, 2008 - 5:11 AM

i have lost 200 pounds in 3 years does anyone know if we have to pay for our tummy tuck

smsmithart

cop groupie

Posted November 27, 2008 - 5:14 AM

I paid for mine it was so worth it..

thenume

Expert Member

Posted November 30, 2008 - 12:09 AM

lorrie ottawa,
It depends on your insurance.
If your insurance paid for your lap band then there is a great possibility that they will cover your tummy tuck!

Posted December 1, 2008 - 3:18 PM

I think what you have is a fungal infection called intertrigo. I had it really bad under my tummy about four years ago and after several unsuccessful treatments, here's what I did to cure it:

1. Use a hair dryer on 'cold' setting to completely dry the area after showering
2. Apply Canesten antifungal cream (very thin layer, rub it all in)
3. Apply plenty of Canesten powder (if you use a different brand, make sure the powder is not talc-based as this feeds fungi!)
4. Continue with this treatment long after the redness and soreness/itching has gone.
5. Be aware that fungal infections are contagious so don't share towels/flannels etc and don't dry other vulnerable areas (eg groin, under breasts, under arms) after drying your tummy (do them first).

Personally, I still lightly cream and powder my tummy every morning, even though I got rid of the intertrigo four years ago!

I hope that helps,
Theresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 24
    FortKnox78

Finally some nerves set it!!! I'm scheduled Nov. 20th for sur...

Show comments (3)
View All Updates