Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?

Views
Started by Froggi, Aug 17, 2008 10:54 PM
82 replies to this topic
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?

1. Yes (60 votes [53.57%])

Percentage of vote: 53.57%

2. No (50 votes [44.64%])

Percentage of vote: 44.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Carrie_C

Bariatric Hero

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted September 1, 2008 - 9:55 AM

Thing is Alex, the other WLS people are posting everywhere. In the help parts for Lapband and everything. They don't stay in their forums lol. But no biggie I just ignore them.

I don't have a problem with it. To me, them posting in other forums and giving advice is no different than people who haven't even had Lap Band surgery yet posting on the help sites. To keep them out would be like keeping people out who haven't even had their surgery yet.

SalesGirl711

Bariatric Legend

• Surgery Date: Apr 2007
  • Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 333 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 85 lbs
  • Current Weight: 248 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 33.6
  • My Blogs
Posted September 4, 2008 - 1:08 PM

Just my 2 cents, no because.. it's Lap-Band Talk. It's not Weight Loss Surgery Talk or Obesity Talk.. it's.. LAP BAND.
If people are wanting information for DS or something, they should seek DS forums..

I wouldn't go to a forum on siamese cats expecting information on persians.

MacMadame

Bariatric Legend

• Surgeon: Paul Cirangle
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 223
  • Weight Lost: 110
  • Current Weight: 113
  • Goal Weight: 115
  • BMI: 21.3
  • My Blogs
Posted September 4, 2008 - 8:52 PM

But what if you wanted to know which was the best cat for you - persians or siamese? :tt2:

greenize

Intermediate Member

Posted September 7, 2008 - 2:23 PM

Okay, I am going to chime in on this one....No, I don't think we should open up this web site to other surgeries. I get discouraged enough as it is without having to constantly hear about the amazing weight loss of bypass patients. If you allow everone in, this site will become another version of Obesity Help, and then we have to wade through everybody's posts looking for lapband support. Now all you have to do is log in, and you know everyone present is in the same boat experiencing the same struggles.

Oregondaisy

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Alberto Aceves
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 237
  • Weight Lost: 102
  • Current Weight: 135
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 24.7
  • My Blogs
Posted September 8, 2008 - 1:54 AM

Okay, I am going to chime in on this one....No, I don't think we should open up this web site to other surgeries. I get discouraged enough as it is without having to constantly hear about the amazing weight loss of bypass patients. If you allow everone in, this site will become another version of Obesity Help, and then we have to wade through everybody's posts looking for lapband support. Now all you have to do is log in, and you know everyone present is in the same boat experiencing the same struggles.

I don't think this is true. I have said this before. Lap Band Talk is organized in such a way that you don't have to wade through everyone else's posts to find what you are looking for. the other surgeries are down at the bottom of the home page, and nobody has to go there, unless they want to.

I think Alex has done an excellent job of organizing LBT in such a way that you can go right to where you want to find information you are looking for.

stevegoad

Resident Musicians

Posted September 8, 2008 - 7:13 AM

I voted no.

I am a member of a mixed group. The bypass folks have it monopolized, with little info for lapband folks.

I found LBT because of that other group.

That said, I have nothing against those folks. Just I prefer this group stay with lapband.

babygrl1234

Baby Bycyling Bitch

Posted September 8, 2008 - 9:07 AM

I think having the other forums is a good idea because even though the site is dedicated to the lapband, it gives others a place to chat without clogging up the main boards about their surgeries. Besides what is wrong with providing info to everyone about all surgeries? Everyone around here is very quick to point out that people should do their homework pre surgery, so maybe that will be helpful to someone else.

sistasassy

Praise Him in the storm!

• Surgeon: Albert Gilman
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 2435
  • Weight Lost: 2259
  • Current Weight: 176
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 28.4
  • My Blogs
Posted September 8, 2008 - 2:23 PM

I think it is ok to have a section for other WLS. Reason being, as Alex and numerous other have said, should my band need to be removed, I will most likely revise to another type of surgery.

I love coming to this site because it is closely monitored and a safe place to ask questions and gain information. It is also a great place just to share experiences be they good or bad.

If they were just dumped into the mix and it was a "free for all," I would not have liked that. I like the fact that they have they own section.

I am also making friends here and I would not like to have to totally uproot myself in the event of needing to revise.

TheGh0st

Lap Band Surgery 9-13-05

Posted September 8, 2008 - 2:47 PM

But what if you wanted to know which was the best cat for you - persians or siamese? :cry_smile:

Then I would suggest going to www.cats.com to research both breeds at one site or I'd suggest going to www.persians.com to research persians and www.siamese.com to research the siameses cats. I would never advise someone to go to www.siamese.com to research persian cats. :thumbup:

That said I'm a very firm believer that there should be forums for those that converted to different WLS' after the band on this site. I don't think losing the band should get you kicked off the site any more than I think that people considering RNY, the Sleeve or DS should come to a site titled Lapbandtalk looking for any non-biased advice or research on those surgeries.

My opinion has nothing to do with any lack of respect for the other surgeries. Its just like your analogy, If you are looking for info on two different breeds of cats. The only benefit for looking up info on one breed at the other breeds site would be specifically to look for the negative hype out there and then to take it with MANY grains of salt.

SalesGirl711

Bariatric Legend

• Surgery Date: Apr 2007
  • Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 333 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 85 lbs
  • Current Weight: 248 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 33.6
  • My Blogs
Posted September 8, 2008 - 2:55 PM

Ghost answered before I saw the response.
My thoughts are like that, go to a siamese forum & a persian forum and use your own brain to deduce what would be best-- for YOU.
And I agree, I don't think anyone should be turned away because they did not have the lap-band, or are having no surgeries. It's an open forum and should be that way, but I don't see why there's an obligation to inform everyone of every surgery, when this website is lap-band talk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 25
    normalgirl

Ive lossed 140 pounds

Show comments (2)
View All Updates