Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?

Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?

• Yes
    • No

That's great Alex. You have done such a good job of separating all the topics here and keeping the board organized. We all appreciate your hard work.

It did get a little tricky in chat last night when we had some Gastric Bypass people coming in. We are just not used to that, but it worked out.

I voted no because of the "MY WLS is better than your WLS" feuds on OH. I don't like going to sites that put down the band. It is also very confusing to people who are at the begining of their research to read so many negative posts about the band from people who have had other WLS. I like having a support site for lap banders only.

I don't think this is true. I have said this before. Lap Band Talk is organized in such a way that you don't have to wade through everyone else's posts to find what you are looking for. the other surgeries are down at the bottom of the home page, and nobody has to go there, unless they want to.

I think Alex has done an excellent job of organizing LBT in such a way that you can go right to where you want to find information you are looking for.

At OH the other WLS patients don't have to click on lap band message board, but they do and they bash the band on the lap band message board.

OH is the most negative WLS board I've ever been on. There are other WLS boards where people are much more respectful of others choices. It's not like "have other surgery types" = "disrespect and surgery wars". It's what the moderators allow and tolerate.

I voted yes.

The only reason not to is because you don't want to hear about anything other then lapband. In reality, it is good to hear about other things. You never know when you may need to revise. Also, it may help people in making the right choice for them.

It is just a form of selfishness if I wanted to have nothing but lapband people.

I equate it to the having a Realize Board, and having an Alergan Board. You could make all of the same arguments about seperating people this way, that you make about seperating people by type of surgery. It is all about surgery for weight loss not what type.

This board is very well organized, it really isn't a problem at all, unless your not a very tolerant person, or you are a zealot for the band. If you are either, then you need to take a step back and realize that it is really about helping people.

All good forums evolve with the people and seek to provide as much information to everyone as possible.

Believe me, there are plenty of sites out there where people can find out about other forms of WLS. If they don't get the info here, they will not go without it. It's not selfish. I certainly didn't rely on LBT only while making my decision about WLS. But after I made my decision to choose the LB, I joined this group.

Frankly, I would rather hear from someone who has actual experience with the band and another surgery. If I was trying to decide which surgery to have.

These people can give me a better comparison and have an insight that isn't possible for someone who has just had one.

Purely from a decision point, I just think it is better.

From a support after surgery point, maybe having a mix isn't as valuable, but it certainly doesn't hurt, especially if one day, you are told you need a revision.

I see value in everyone's experiences. In fact some of the best information I have found is from people who aren't banded any more. Long term banded people don't really hang around. Why? Because they go on with their lives, or they revise. It seems to be one or the other.

There are just so few longterm banders around. Why, is not really relevant to this question, but it is a factor.

Getting hung up on the title of a forum as the end all, and means all to what the forum should be, is an eventual death sentance for a forum.

You know some people got a Realize Band over an AP lapband just for the "better" website support. Oh please, you can get everything and more from other places like this. Why would we want to limit ourselves like realize has done to promote a product? The only difference is we would be promoting just the lapband.

I really can't believe it would bother anyone to hear about anything other then lapband, and if it does, then don't read it, or ignore it.

We are all her for weight loss support, no matter what surgery we have had. So I don't see a problem with it.

Alex is starting some other board for the other wls. I don't think he'll be keeping the other wls on this board for much longer, but I could be wrong.

IMHO if someone gets the sleeve that's fine and they can discuss but if it's anything other than that they're really going to feel more comfortable at other forum sites especially since this is called Lapbandtalk...I don't really feel it's other WLS-friendly here even if we add the other surgery threads, as you can see it's not very busy there. Nancy.

OK that's what I posted almost a year ago and probably still true. That's was before my band was removed and I was scheduled for RNY. People still need to know there can be "issues" with the lap band and a future for those who have to have it removed. Nancy.

Also, speaking for myself only, I enjoy this forum and it was my "first" and I believe I still have a home here even if I don't have my band any longer. I'm not here to bash the band and never have but feel that people that have had the same issues I have had can be helped from my experience.

Edited by Nanook
additional comment

The sleeve section is going pretty strong. I am pretty sure that it will all be moved over to the new sleeve board.

He's doing an RNY board too,as well as a revision board.

Anon poll, reply by choice

I voted yes because I am floored at how many people believe their only choices are band or bypass. They don't even know the sleeve exists.

And Daisy... I believe he has plans for a DS forum as well. Maybe even more. Not sure what the end result will be.