Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hernia repair with lap band

Don't have a clue how to post to this site!! Pardon me. Wanting to know if hiatal hernia repair with the lap band surgery is normal. Surgeon repaired my "monster" size hernia that gave me no problems at all. Is this typical? Must it be repaired to place the band? Info please!!! And someone tell me how to operate on this site please.

I had a hernia repair too...and I also was never bothered by it. I guess they just figured to get everything fixed while they were in there! Good luck with everything :leaving:

WELCOME!

Follow this link:

Frequently Asked Questions (NEW!)

you will find LOADS of info on banding, FAQ's and more, and if you scroll down on that page, you'll find the instructions for how to use this forum.

Also, MANY of us had hiatal hernia repaired. It seems they are frequently seen in larger patients. And yes, it needs to be repaired for the band to be placed and work properly. It is usually a stitch or a few on the inside. Nothing as dramatic as the surgeons sometimes make it sound.

When I arrived on Thursday for my surgery, I was told they were running a little bit late because the two patients before me both had hernias that had to be repaired. I was told it's pretty common for them to have at least one patient per day with a hernia, but it was a little rare to have two of them back-to-back. They told me the hernia might as well be repaired while they're in there, because down the road it could cause problems for the lap band.

I too had the HH repair and was thrilled to have it done. It has caused and aggravated so many problems in the past for us such as GERD. I was as excited about that as the band.

I guess it is quite common. I had mine repaired, also. Didn't even know I had a HH until pre-op testing.

I had mine repaired too. I had no idea I had one, but am glad they fixed it while doing the band. You are doing the right thing by investigating everything while in pre-op. You need to learn all that you can about the band, what to expect after surgery and what to expect forthe rest of your life. It was the right option for me and giving up cokes, beer and bread haven't been difficult. I've really been enjoying losing weight and finding myself again. It's done wonders for my self esteem and I have a great doctor.

I have see soooo many posts on surprise Hiatal Hernia repairs. How can one not know they have one? Are there no symptoms? Is there a possibility that not all these people actually have them, but a scam to increase the price of the surgery?

My mom has one - the symptoms are much like a heart attack. If you have a good doctor, I wouldn't worry about an "insurance scam." There are different levels of severity in this illness, but however small, it needs to be repaired or there is a lot of pain.

When having the lap band surgery, the doctor fixes the hiatail hernia in the same operation.

It is pretty common.

Edited by cb11213

I had my HH fixed also. I think I am happier about having it fixed than I am about the band. I haven't once had any reflux or other problems I used to have before my surgery. I no longer have to take Prilosec. My doctor had me do an upper GI before the surgery and knew I had the HH. I went into the surgery knowing they were going to repair it.:wink_smile: