Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's celebrate small victories!👍👍

Hi,

so there is not many who would understand the excitement I feel but I think this group can appreciate it. Today I went for a walk, and well, frankly, I could. I manage ged to go and enjoy a walk without huffing and puffing and stopping every few feet. I'm so excited. I've lost enough weight that it wasn't a huge struggle! Before I couldn't walk a block without being winded, today I walked 2-3 km. I haven't even had surgery yet! What victories have you celebrated?

That is wonderful and a real victory! I can't believe how far you walked. My knees are shot from being too fat for too long but my victory is going to the supermarket and still have enough energy to run some more errands.

I think I may pay for walking that far tomorrow, but I don't care. I'm still excited

I have kind of a set path at work where I walk around outside on breaks. My phone has a built in step tracker so I always keep it with me on walks and get a message after 10 minutes of constant walking. I realized this week that my pace has quickened (I hadn't noticed) and cover the distance in a shorter time, so now I'm having to do some back tracking to add distance in to hit my 10 minute mark.

And despite the scale not moving much in the past 2 1/2 weeks I noticed this morning that I moved up a notch on my belt so that was a pleasant surprise!

Most definitely worthy of celebration. Way to go! You must feel amazing.

23 hours ago, queendeborahbee said:

That is wonderful and a real victory! I can't believe how far you walked. My knees are shot from being too fat for too long but my victory is going to the supermarket and still have enough energy to run some more errands.

My knees/ankles have severe issues, as well. See an orthopedistist to see if braces may help. If so, go for custom, if you can.

I wear bi-lateral SMO's for the posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (PTTD) in both ankles every waking second.

a left knee brace for chondromalacia patella (cartilage wearing away on the back of the knee cap due to my patella not staying aligned) for walking on inclines or steps.

a right knee brace because 2 major ligaments are gone MCL & PCL which I wear when walking on uneven surfaces such as grass.

Without the braces, I would be immobile

With the braces, I ride my recumbant bike, walk on the treadmill, go for walks, hiking, etc...

22 hours ago, CalgaryWoman said:

I think I may pay for walking that far tomorrow, but I don't care. I'm still excited

I did that a few weeks ago and boy my knee felt awful afterwards. Lol. But it was good to walk.

12 hours ago, TheRealMeIsHere! said:

With the braces, I ride my recumbant bike, walk on the treadmill, go for walks, hiking, etc

Thank you, I will talk to my orthopedist about this.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:05 PM, CalgaryWoman said:

Hi,

so there is not many who would understand the excitement I feel but I think this group can appreciate it. Today I went for a walk, and well, frankly, I could. I manage ged to go and enjoy a walk without huffing and puffing and stopping every few feet. I'm so excited. I've lost enough weight that it wasn't a huge struggle! Before I couldn't walk a block without being winded, today I walked 2-3 km. I haven't even had surgery yet! What victories have you celebrated?

That is wonderful!! It's amazing how much life improves. For me, it's the ability to walk up stairs effortlessly. (This used to be a huge struggle for me). Also, hiking with my husband used to be torture. Now its easy, breezy and FUN!!!

My knees/ankles have severe issues, as well. See an orthopedistist to see if braces may help. If so, go for custom, if you can.

I wear bi-lateral SMO's for the posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (PTTD) in both ankles every waking second.

a left knee brace for chondromalacia patella (cartilage wearing away on the back of the knee cap due to my patella not staying aligned) for walking on inclines or steps.

a right knee brace because 2 major ligaments are gone MCL & PCL which I wear when walking on uneven surfaces such as grass.

Without the braces, I would be immobile

With the braces, I ride my recumbant bike, walk on the treadmill, go for walks, hiking, etc...

If you have tried Water aerobics they are excellent for you and little to no impact on joints. Even just using a kickboard is really good....of course I don't know your physical limitations the way you do, but I really liked doing water workouts.

3 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

If you have tried Water aerobics they are excellent for you and little to no impact on joints. Even just using a kickboard is really good....of course I don't know your physical limitations the way you do, but I really liked doing Water workouts.

I'm sure that would be wonderful for me, but it is not available, unless I drive a 2 hour round trip, lol! Very rural area......