Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hit a stall about 6-7 weeks after surgery. Only lost a pound in a 2 1/2 week spell. I started to up my calories a bit more and focused on getting my Protein from food rather than having to rely on a Protein Shake, so that did mean eating more smaller meals through the day. Knocking on wood but since doing that over the past week the scale has started to move again.

Keep in mind that what works for one may not work for another. Sometimes it just requires patience. If you aren't doing a food journal then start one. It helps to know for sure where you are at with your diet rather than guessing.

We're at about the same post op from surgery, I'm at 7 weeks post op today. I will try to get my Protein in other ways and see how I do! I've been working out in the morning doing Pilates type exercise and wondering if maybe I'm building muscle and that could be a reason for no weight loss? I also track my food with the bariatastic app so hopefully that will continue to work as well! Thank you for your response!!

3 minutes ago, Shrinking Sleever said:

We're at about the same post op from surgery, I'm at 7 weeks post op today. I will try to get my Protein in other ways and see how I do! I've been working out in the morning doing Pilates type exercise and wondering if maybe I'm building muscle and that could be a reason for no weight loss? I also track my food with the bariatastic app so hopefully that will continue to work as well! Thank you for your response!!

I started lifting again as well so I liked to believe that was part of not seeing the scale move. My doc really wants his patients to stick to 3 meals a day but there is no way in hell I can get enough Protein in only 3 meals. I can with a Protein Shake but it feels better to eat 6 smaller meals rather than trying to push things with 3 larger ones. I'm curious to see if the trend continues through the week. It didn't take a ton of additional calories. I only added in about 200-250 per day. It really is trial & error at times.

I'm 7 weeks post op too! I didn't lose anything for 4 weeks, I actually gained 6 pounds! I honestly just followed my plan, which eventually had me eating more. I track my food so I know I was getting 300-400 cals during my plateau and now I'm getting 700-800 and losing weight pretty quickly. I'm starting my workouts again this week so we'll see how that effects it.

7 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

I track my food so I know I was getting 300-400 cals during my plateau

Holy cow! And you were still hitting your Protein goals for the day? I think my lowest in the early weeks was around 500-600 calories a day. I'm doing better now being around 800-1000 cals a day.

I agree about upping the calories... sometimes you might think that you should be losing weight with as low of calories as you are getting, but actually, it is just the opposite. You might not be getting enough calories to get that metabolism going. Also, I picked up speed in dropping weight when I lowered my carb intake to under 40 grams a day and when I increased my Protein to 100 grams a day. Also increased my Fluid intake. Since I started doing all those things over the past 6 weeks, I have not stalled. The weight is rapidly coming off and I am at almost 5 months post op.

It is great that you are tracking your food, because you can keep track of your carbs, protein and calories that way and I believe that really helped me to find a good balance. Also, meeting with my NUT helped me a lot, she was the one that told me I wasn't getting enough calories.

Wish you the best. :)

Holy cow! And you were still hitting your Protein goals for the day? I think my lowest in the early weeks was around 500-600 calories a day. I'm doing better now being around 800-1000 cals a day.

Yep, my surgeon says the latest research shows we only require 30g of Protein a day, so that's my goal. Super easy to get! He's got over 3500 patients so I trust him, it also lines up with research I've read as well.

But yeah, I'm also doing much better with the higher calorie range!

I am between 7-8 weeks and I had a bad stall for the last couple weeks. I just keep pushing through it, but it is hard for sure.