Regrets anyone?

55 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Im still deciding if i should go ahead with the surgery because im not sure if i will be able to accept eating so little after the surgery.. is there anyone out there that regrets doing the surgery or they feel its the best decision they have made to go ahead?

Thanks!

You really have to evaluate your relationship to food. If you take the approach of finding ways to get around the sleeve to still follow old (i.e. bad) eating habits then you're defeating the purpose of the sleeve. I was a binge eater/poor portion control person. So that would be like me asking for a smaller crack pipe but still wanting to smoke a bunch of crack afterwards...lol. The bad habits have to go if you want to be successful.

Does it make me a little sad that I can't eat and eat and eat on next Thanksgiving Day? Or go to an AYCE Chinese buffet and eat 3 plates of food? Sure. But those habits is what led me to being so overweight to begin with. I still plan on enjoying some foods from time to time, others I'm choosing to cut out completely because they're a "gateway food" for me. The sleeve is a tool, but without the right mindset you won't maximize its effectiveness.

I may only be 7 weeks out now but I know I made the right decision for myself. My back/joint pain is so much better already than what it was before surgery. I'll take being pain free every day over being able to pig out a few times a year.

7 people like this

You really have to evaluate your relationship to food. If you take the approach of finding ways to get around the sleeve to still follow old (i.e. bad) eating habits then you're defeating the purpose of the sleeve. I was a binge eater/poor portion control person. So that would be like me asking for a smaller crack pipe but still wanting to smoke a bunch of crack afterwards...lol. The bad habits have to go if you want to be successful.
Does it make me a little sad that I can't eat and eat and eat on next Thanksgiving Day? Or go to an AYCE Chinese buffet and eat 3 plates of food? Sure. But those habits is what led me to being so overweight to begin with. I still plan on enjoying some foods from time to time, others I'm choosing to cut out completely because they're a "gateway food" for me. The sleeve is a tool, but without the right mindset you won't maximize its effectiveness.
I may only be 7 weeks out now but I know I made the right decision for myself. My back/joint pain is so much better already than what it was before surgery. I'll take being pain free every day over being able to pig out a few times a year.

Thanks for sharing :)

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, orionburn said:

I'll echo what @orionburn said. The real question you have to ask yourself is "am I ready to change my relationship with food?". If the answer is yes, then I would go for it. I joined this site many months ago as I was progressing through my six month pre-op diet program. Every day, I read posts from people who have done nothing to change their relationship with food, and the posts make me sad because I know that these folks will likely never be successful long-term.

For me, I have no regrets. This was the best decision I have ever made regarding my health and well being.

5 people like this

You really have to evaluate your relationship to [mention=311187]orionburn[/mention] said. The real question you have to ask yourself is "am I ready to change my relationship with food?". If the answer is yes, then I would go for it. I joined this site many months ago as I was progressing through my six month pre-op diet program. Every day, I read posts from people who have done nothing to change their relationship with food, and the posts make me sad because I know that these folks will likely never be successful long-term.
For me, I have no regrets. This was the best decision I have ever made regarding my health and well being.

Thanks for ur reply :) im thinking that if i go ahead for this surgery, maybe my diabetes will reverse and other health problems will go away..

Other health problems will go away or prevent others from coming. I am only two days post op and boy am I regretting it but happy for my new life. I regret it because of the pain and not being able to take a big sip of Water without it feeling gassy. My throat is sore my stomach is sore and all I want to do is sleep. I warn expecting recovery to be this bad. But with all that I am still looking forward to the future and my eating habits to change it I was going to keep going the way I was going I wasn't going to have the life I wanted the kid I wanted I want to be able to play with them go on rides and not worry will I fit. I want to be able to run around with out being out of breath. I just overall want to feel better so it was a good choice.

6 people like this

I am tomorrow one week out and I can already tell you that the sacrifice in the big picture long term carries only one regret-I should have had this done at age 50 instead of telling myself I had this
What I have found in a very short time is to educate yourself, read, read and read. Don't try to change the process but adapt the new process . Finally, be sure that what resides between your ears is set in the correct mode mentality. It is a great tool, but the factors many have mentioned, plus my own short term are key for the long term success.
Hang in there .

3 people like this

I regret allowing myself to get that fat in the first place. Shame.

6 people like this

I am 15 days out, the first week for me was hell. I was uncomfortable, thirsty and grumpy. The second week was a million times better but I was still tired. Finally I am feeling normal and getting my energy back. I am down 25 pounds!!!! I love bumping into friends - the reaction of losing weight is amazing. No regrets. Just have some extra help and know the first week sucks. You will do great!

6 people like this

Right now I'm 3 weeks out, so keep that in mind. I'm mourning normal portion sizes and missing healthy vegetables. It's nothing I didn't know about, but right now it makes me a little sad. With time, I'm sure it gets better.

4 people like this