Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Nights Recovery Enough?

I've pretty much made me decision to go with Dr. Maytorena at Long Term VSG to get my gastric sleeve done. I noticed that their package only includes two nights for recovery. I wanted to know if anyone who had their sleeve done with Dr. M thought that 2 nights was enough before flying home as most other packages includes 3/4 nights to recover. There is an option to add on an extra night for recovery and I was thinking that I might do that as I am not great with pain and do get dizzy spells when I am not well rested. Also another night being watched over by nurses and doctors might be worth it. Anyone who had only a 2 night recovery think it was sufficient enough? Or for those those who stayed longer, do you think you would've been okay to fly home after the second night (third day)?

It's definitely not enough time. There's good reason why everyone else requires two additional nights at a hotel. Most complications occur during the first 1-4 days. It's reckless for them to discharge you from the hospital and shuttle you directly to the airport. They're trying to save $$$ but it's the wrong place to be skimping on.

My hubby went thru another Surgery site. But he had his surgery and we stayed at the Hospital for 2 days. Then we were taken to the Motel. We ourselves decided to stay an extra day at the Motel!! But my hubby just said to put your mind at ease, he said it wasn't bad and he could have flown home sooner. I was afraid for him, but the Sleeve wasn't at all like my RNY. If you had the RNY I would say take the time to heal some. Just to be on the safe side. Good Luck

It's different for everyone..my surgery was late in the day. I was discharged less than 24hrs later. I walked more than a mile at the hospital. Now flying adds a whole other element...so err on the safe side.

Sent from Larry's S7

I think 1-2 nights in the clinic/hospital, then another 1-2 nights in the hotel is pretty standard. So a total of 3-4 nights in TJ post-op. I stayed the night in the hotel the night before my surgery. I was the first operation of the day in the morning, so only spent one night in the clinic, since I was there all day post op. I was discharged back to the hotel in the afternoon the day after my surgery. Two nights in the hotel after that. Then I actually stayed a night in a hotel in San Diego before flying home, because of the times that flights were available. The only flights that would get me back to my home town with only one layover all left around 9:00 and the shuttle couldn't get me to the airport before 11:00-ish. So I stayed a night in San Diego right next to the airport and that hotel's shuttle service took me to the airport the morning of my flight.

In all it was 1 night pre-op in TJ, 3 nights post-op in TJ (1 in clinic, 2 in hotel), and 1 night in San Diego.

I would not have been able to fly on my 3rd day. I was glad to be able to have the Doctors come check on me at the hotel after I was checked out at the hospital. The way they plan it out gives you time to rest and make sure nothing is wrong before you fly home. By day 5 when it was time to go to the airport my strength was back. I believe that Dr. Illan and staff have their patients best interests at heart.