Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to gyms. Freaking out!

I think in my whole life, I have stepped into a gym 1time. I saw everyone working out, doing things I feel like I'll never be able to do. I kinda ran away. So I live in Maine and like it or not, snow will come. I've been power walking 40min every AM...but once it snows, the roads out here are dangerous to walk on. So, my only choice to keep myself on this path is to join a gym. There is one about 20min away and tomorrow I have an appointment to check it out and them check me out. I am feeling very nervous and kinda freaked. I don't want to be stared at...feel like the fat lady in the room...and I have no coordination and worry I'll look like a dork. I don't even have "gym clothes"! How can I keep myself from running in the opposite direction!?!

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

40 minutes is a lot of drive time. Have you looked at a treadmill or exercise bike?

You are just going to check it out. If you hate it, you don't have to do it.

I promise you the people there will care more about what they are doing than what you are doing. And if they are judging anyone, it's people who don't go to the gym at all.

Couple of pieces of advice -- don't tell the gym people you had weight loss surgery. Most of them won't get it and won't appreciate it. Don't take any nutrition advice from gym employees or gym randos. They aren't dietitians and have all sorts of weird bro "science" about food that is not in accordance with post-wls eating.

Finally, if you don't like the gym, you do have more options. I do lots of my exercises at home -- I cleared a space in front of the tv and do exercise DVD's like Cathe Friedrich's low impact HIIT and Kelly Coffee-Meyers Circuit Training series.

Bufflehead- thanks for the advice and support. You mentioned some really good points about not talking about weight loss surgery. I'll definitely keep those points in mind. I'll just tell them I am interested in weight loss not building muscle. I'll check into at home DVDs for those snowy days at home.????

Bufflehead- thanks for the advice and support. You mentioned some really good points about not talking about weight loss surgery. I'll definitely keep those points in mind. I'll just tell them I am interested in weight loss not building muscle. I'll check into at home DVDs for those snowy days at home.

Just one word of advice. You do actually want to build muscle in addition to weight loss. You don't necessarily want to "bulk up" but the more muscle mass you have, the better for your metabolism which will help burn fat. Don't be afraid of doing some strength training. Just keep it light and easy until you build up your strength and stamina

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are just going to check it out. If you hate it, you don't have to do it.

I promise you the people there will care more about what they are doing than what you are doing. And if they are judging anyone, it's people who don't go to the gym at all.

Couple of pieces of advice -- don't tell the gym people you had weight loss surgery. Most of them won't get it and won't appreciate it. Don't take any nutrition advice from gym employees or gym randos. They aren't dietitians and have all sorts of weird bro "science" about food that is not in accordance with post-wls eating.

Finally, if you don't like the gym, you do have more options. I do lots of my exercises at home -- I cleared a space in front of the tv and do exercise DVD's like Cathe Friedrich's low impact HIIT and Kelly Coffee-Meyers Circuit Training series.

Ditto this. I joined a local gym because I need a pool, and ended up deciding to go ahead and get a personal trainer package as well. Luckily the trainer I'm actually working with ongoing is cool with the WLS but the VP of the trainers was rude and condescending to me about the surgery. He also is trying to push nutrition stuff on me that a) he's not trained to give, and B) conflicts with my medical conditions and my surgeon's instructions.

If you have the financial ability, I highly recommend working with a trainer. They can help you get used to the gym equipment and make sure you're using it correctly, and help you balance your exercises. But remember if you don't click with your trainer, you can ask for another (at least that's how it works here).

If you don't have access to a trainer, there are tons of workout sites and probably YouTube videos to show you what equipment to use to put together a good general strength and cardio workout.

Bufflehead- thanks for the advice and support. You mentioned some really good points about not talking about weight loss surgery. I'll definitely keep those points in mind. I'll just tell them I am interested in weight loss not building muscle. I'll check into at home DVDs for those snowy days at home.

I wasn't going to start a strength training program until after I'd built my cardio up. But the trainer made a good point to me that if you don't do some strength training, you can actually lose muscle only doing cardio. You don't have to go for bulky muscles to do strength training. Most people don't, actually. But muscle mass is part of what helps you lose weight by increasing your metabolism even when you're not working out. So it's important. He convinced me to start both strength training and cardio together.

Oh, and one more thing... even if you don't hire a trainer, the gym people will show you how to use equipment you're not familiar with, you just have to ask. :) Most gyms have people there who are super nice and want to help you succeed. Don't be afraid of them! :D

Why not build muscle? Muscle is what burns fat. You definitely want to do some sort of strength/resistance training.

My exercise of choice is swimming. I swim laps, do Water aerobics on occasion, use Water weights, stretch, etc. --- all in the water.

@@Raynbolite

The majority of the people at the gym are normal people...They are just like you getting healthy. Only a few bikini models and hard core body builders ;)

It is intimidating at first. Here are a few tips:

(1) Ask the staff what days and times have less people. Try to hit that time frame until your comfortable with they gym and the members.

(2) Ask the staff to show you how to use the equipment correctly.

(3) Get a great playlist on your cell phone and good head phones. Most people at the gym listen to music. I know it feels like everyone is focused on you. But, they are focused on their own health and workout. Get some great music. You will be keeping up to the beat without trying. (Pandora is a good app to try)

(4) Get workout clothing you feel good and comfortable in. invest in some good tennis shoes.

(5) Here is a workout data base. You pick the part of your body you want to work on it will list all types of exercises. It also shows a video of how to use the equipment.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

(6) Reading workout /weight loss information can give you motivation.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/category/lose-fat

Ok...build muscle and cardio...I can do this. Tomorrow I go talk to the owner and find out what is available. I'm nervous, but it's a small family run gym. It tends to not get overly busy. Again, not enough money in my budget for a treadmill. I'll be fine, I'm just nervous of the unknown...out of my element feeling.

Ok...build muscle and cardio...I can do this. Tomorrow I go talk to the owner and find out what is available. I'm nervous, but it's a small family run gym. It tends to not get overly busy. Again, not enough money in my budget for a treadmill. I'll be fine, I'm just nervous of the unknown...out of my element feeling.

Believe it or not, you might actually have fun!

When I'm worried about going to the gym I remind myself that I need 30 seconds of courage to get me through the door. After that I focus on what I need to do. And then I find myself feeling good overall because I'm moving and working towards my goal. I'm 12 days post op so right now I'm doing light walking for 5-10mins at a time then I'll sit for 5 min and get up to do it again. I aim for 30min all up right now. Sometimes I get to that and sometimes I don't. I go for me.

Good luck!

Edited by Ebony Rose