Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Days Out. Only lost 1.5 lbs?

Hey everyone, so I was sleeved on the 24th, it's been a struggle dealing with the pain and discomfort, but nothing I can't handle so far. My biggest concern is that I've only lost 1.5 lbs since surgery. I know it's less than a week, but since I started out over 150 lbs overweight and haven't consumed more than 400 calories in a day since, I would have thought it would be more by now. Any thoughts for what I should be doing at this point?

What should you be doing? Relax and follow your surgeons plan.

We all want the weight to come off fast and for some it does. You're recovering from major surgery where you were pumped full of fluids. Some even leave the hospital with a gain from all of that. Everyone's journey is different. I'd suggest staying off of the scale at least till your follow up with your surgeon.

Relax and rest so you can heal :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You just had major surgery. You likely have a lot of internal swelling. Your body is reeling from everything it's been going through these past few weeks. Just follow your plan and stay off the scale. You DO NOT need to be weighing yourself in this first little stretch. You need to be focusing on healing and caring for your body properly,

Take a deep breath...now exhale. You just did major trauma to your body - it is confused and reeling and trying to heal. The only important thing right now is to heal - focus on fluids and Protein and stay off the scale. You got pumped full of IV fluids in the hospital and most leave the hospital weighing a bit more than when they went in because of Fluid retention. In fact, at my 2 week followup appointment - I hadn't lost anything - not even a tenth of a pound! Nothing to worry about. I still ended up losing 22lbs that first month. Seriously - focus on healing, the weightloss will come.

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I just read too many stories of people who lost 10 or 15 pounds their first week, and felt I should be there too :( I will do my best to stay away from the scale for a little while longer...

There are so many variables at play with regard to rate of weight loss - please don't make comparisons to others, it will drive you nuts. Follow your plan and keep active and the weight will come off.

If there is one thing I learned VERY early on post-op, it's that comparing myself to others was a recipe for disaster. I was a "slow" loser by every definition of the word. Of all the people on these forums who had surgery around the same time as me, I was the slowest one. But you know what? None of that mattered in the end! This isn't a race! I still got to my goal and I've been maintaining for a full year. I never look back now and say "man, if only i'd lost the weight one month sooner!" It's completely irrelevant now. I got to goal and I am happily living my life there! The whole rest of my life! A few weeks or months makes so little difference in the grand scheme of things!

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I just read too many stories of people who lost 10 or 15 pounds their first week, and felt I should be there too :( I will do my best to stay away from the scale for a little while longer...

Imagine my shock when I came home from the hospital with an 11 lb gain two days after surgery.......

Lots of inflammation and Water retention, I suppose. It flushed out soon enough and the losing began.

Be a patient patient and it'll all work out.

Stick with your plan and enjoy the ride.

I lost 15 my first week but it's because I'm unable to get anything down. I would much rather do it the slower route and not feel so miserable and weak! It takes everything out of me to shower! I too was discouraged at first because I came out of the hospital weighing more than when I went in for the surgery. And for days didn't lose a thing! It all happened over night. Once I started urinating frequently and with ease, the weight started going. Unfortunately, in the process I believe I've dehydrated myself. Better to do it the healthy way. It will come off, let your body come out of the shock and confused state it's in right now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App