Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't get the feel for my sleeve

I had GS surgery 6/27 and everything was great for the first 6 weeks. Then when it was time to start eating regular foods, I have had multiple episodes of vomiting after eating LESS than what a small meal would be. it seems like if i take one extra bite, my sleeve revolts and I vomit--sometimes everything, sometimes just saliva (a lot of it). I m supposed to be eating 7-8 1-ounce serving of Protein a day , plus 2 fruits, 2 veggies, and a little fat and starch. I never get that much Protein so I drink a pure Protein shake with 30 grams of protein so i am at least almost halfway to the goal. I am supposed to be drinking 64 ounces of Fluid and usually don't get even half that.

I have been going out to restaurants a lot because of company and try to find things on the menu that will meet the goals, but it is hard. I've done stupid things like trying to eat a scone and a half English muffin. bread things are not good but i want them!

My weight loss since my first visit to Dr. on 3/31 is 45 lbs, most of it during pre-surgical diet and post surgery.

My stomach never feels good or normal--its either too full or growling. I don't seem to get the feeling of fullness until it is too late.

Any ideas on "reading" my sleeve better? How is my wight loss? i feel I should be losing faster.

The goal is to stop eating when satisfed, not full. I too want just one more bite, but from the 2 times I did that I felt so uncomfortable and miserable. I stop before I finish my serving and wait at least 5 to 10 minutes before I really know that I am done. Count the number of bites if you have to and eat one less to keep from getting sick.

This is a learning process for all of us and while we are early out, things change. That seems like a lot of food for your stage. I had surgery 4 days before you and I have 1-2 shakes a day with 2 meals of 1/4 to 1/3 cup of food each. Protein first. I know as my capacity increases I will be able to add more veggies and fruit.< /p>

I don't let myself eat until I feel restriction...because once I feel it, it's way too late. Are you eating very slowly? It takes me 20-30 mins to eat 2-3 oz Protein, a T or 2 of vegetable and on occasion, a T of something carb-y.

Your weight loss seems good to me, I had my surgery 6 days before you and I've lost 45 lbs. That's right on track for my goal of 50 in 3 months.

It is a lot of food and I can't do it...this is a problem because I am a direction follower! The nutritionist says do as much Protein as possible and same with fluids .

I like your, idea, Suzzzz, about waiting 5-10 minutes to see if you are done eating. Will try. Will also try another half shake which will get me to 45 grams.

But i want those fresh farm-grown tomatoes, peaches and apples. They are on my "approved list" but I guess I can't eat em till the Protein is in. argghhhhhh

Shelterdog, you and I are very similar in weight/height and surgery time. I KNOW I have to slow down eating but it is generally so unpleasant that I feel I'm rushing to get it done. Eating is never pleasant. I dream that it could be--a yummy slice of farm fresh Tomato with a bit of mozzarella and basil. But i eat that--and feel like vomiting.

I also have to start exercising more. I think that will help Constipation. I am taking stool softeners every day and now 60 cal. pack of prunes a day.

Good luck to you on your 50 lb/3months goal.

Lipsticklady,

I am "allowed" a half muffin (or a quarter bagel, or a half a wheat wrap, etc.)but only after Protein is accomplished for the day. The scone...well i was having "coffee" (Water for me) with a friend and I nibbled it. It got stuck because I'd drunk the Water first. Bad bad bad

I am doing all kinds of things wrong, I know. I read the book the hospital gave me every few days. It says 4-5 small meals a day. But i hate eating ALL the time, so maybe I tried the scone because i liked them in the old days. No food ever appeals to me today. It is always unpleasant to eat.

And yes, i have now spoken to the nut about all this--and will start back with therapist after Labor Day.

It's funny that you snuck in a bit of scone...I've had little hunger and few cravings, except I think about blueberry scones almost daily. They weren't even a top 10 food for me pre-op, but I swear I dream about them. So bizarre!

I definitely sympathize with the desire for fruits and vegetables, it's that time of year when our farmers market is loaded with the best of the entire season and I can only have tiny nibbles of it. I've been freezing blueberries and blackberries like crazy, hoping to save some of what I'm missing right now.

The only thing I've seen you write that I'd question is that you're not allowed the muffin or bread until you're reached your Protein goal for the day. My plan wants me to eat my Protein for the meal prior to any veg or starch, so I eat my meat/cheese/whatever, then some vegetable, then if there's room, I might have a touch of quinoa or brown rice or a small piece of grilled potato. I'm still using Protein powder to supplement so that I can have some fruits and vegetables during the day, I put a scoop of GENEPRO in my coffee every morning, then have some cottage cheese or yogurt with some berries after I'm done with my coffee. That way, I get a big protein hit early in the day, which helps me greatly.

And one more thing (sorry, it's early and my brain isn't fully on yet!), I just spent 10 days traveling and eating in restaurants and it's SO much harder for me...lots of moments of nausea, my only episode of vomiting was in a restaurant bathroom, and in general, not the pleasant experience I used to have eating out. It's kind of an eye-opener, thinking about why restaurant foods are so much harder to eat...I think it's in the prep, lots of oil and butter, stuff I'm not cooking with at home now, at least not in large amounts. Also the size of the meals tempt me into eating more than I know I should, and I have a tendency to nibble and pick at my plate even after I'm full. I'm learning how to manage all of that, but it takes deliberate thought and doesn't allow me to just relax and eat and drink like I used to. This is such a HUGE change, in all aspects of our lives, isn't it?

My old habit of meeting friends at restaurants as "recreation and connecting" and having to plan/prepare meals for company (we have a vacation place with lots of company all summer) are two real issues. I've found Vietnamese and thai places will do almost anything for you, pep and ingredient wise, though.

My surgeon's PA also said my sleeve might have been made "a little on the tight side" but that it would stretch some over the next year or so.

Love the idea of freezing berries for winter, Shelterdog.

Lipsticklady,

I am "allowed" a half muffin (or a quarter bagel, or a half a wheat wrap, etc.)but only after Protein is accomplished for the day. The scone...well i was having "coffee" (Water for me) with a friend and I nibbled it. It got stuck because I'd drunk the Water first. Bad bad bad

I am doing all kinds of things wrong, I know. I read the book the hospital gave me every few days. It says 4-5 small meals a day. But i hate eating ALL the time, so maybe I tried the scone because i liked them in the old days. No food ever appeals to me today. It is always unpleasant to eat.

And yes, i have now spoken to the nut about all this--and will start back with therapist after Labor Day.

Perfect!

I will say water first won't make food stick. :) Water after might make it come back, though.

My sleeve is VERY restrictive and I have pretty much become a grazer. A piece of beef jerrky here, a handful of almonds or a string cheeese there. I am getting totally used to the "tapas" way of life. (That's what I'm calling it. Sounds much better than grazing. I'm not a cow anymore!!) I have found that I enjoy nibbling on a few shrimps in the afternoon, or a really great cheeese in the evening. Now that I eat so little, I allow myself to buy more expensive, better quality "treats" that fit my meall plan. (Wegman's cheese counter might break my bank. And the olive bar...)

You will find foods you like as your appetite comes back. Don't allow bad habits (cough muffin cough scone) creep in this early.

What textures do you enjoy? Perhaps we can suggest some high proteiin foods that might work better for you. It's hard to be creative while you are learning your sleeve, I know.

You aren't "wrong", you are just on a learning curve. I think it happens to most of us. :D