Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few weeks ago I got the insurance approval from Cigna and my doctor said a surgery date for October 17th of this year was approximately is about 52 days from now... Yesterday, much to my surprise, I got a call from my doctor saying that there was a cancellation and that they were wondering if I wanted to move my surgery date up to September 19th of this year which is 23 days from now... I had a moment where I got really nervous and fearful and a little panicky going from 52 days to 23 days and 10 seconds is quite a lot to prepare yourself for dot dot dot worrying about my bills and the time off from work and this and that took me by surprise... And then I took a deep breath and I realize that in 23 days my life will be completely different... Little back story about me I grew up very active I played softball my whole life I went to state twice I went to college on a softball scholarship and have numerous trophies from weightlifting where I still currently hold the record and woman squats at 425 pounds and bench press @ 140 pounds at my high school... So to say that I was always very sick would be an understatement although I was still Baker I guess my goal weight is 135 140 whereas in high school I was around 1:55 160 but I was very strong I had a lot of muscle... And then I went to college and I just started gaining weight I still worked out I still was his ass if I just could not lose weight I didn't know what was going on I just thought it was a really bad case of the Freshman 15 then I started noticing that I wasn't having a menstrual cycle or it was very irregular and about three years of going through weight gain fluctuating and all that I went to the doctor... I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was 21 in 3 years I had gained 80 pounds and I went from 162 to 240 pounds... I had always been active I still was active I just couldn't go to sleep we tried various options of metformin and hormone supplements to try to treat all didn't work I didn't lose any way you could just got sick... I waited 5 years... 5 years to go back to the doctor because I was ashamed of myself I was afraid they were going to tell me that I was incredibly unhealthy and that I was doing something wrong finally after 3 years of not actually having a single menstrual cycle and went to the doctor... I told them that I have had a personal trainer for 12 months who also help me with nutrition and meal planning and in that 12 months I have lost 7 pounds that was it I work out 5 times a week for 90 minutes and all I lost was 7 pounds when I went to the doctor I went for a weight loss supplements... And that was when he weighed me and that my biggest I was 288 pounds with a BMI of 49.5... And that's when it hit me I went from a BMI of 9 249.5 in less than 10 years... He didn't hit me with some statistics on my family history and blood pressure and the fears of cancer for people with polycystic ovarian syndrome in my family history and then he hit me with the biggest statistic I've ever heard... Without bariatric surgery, my chances of conceiving a child was that a mere 8%... I can handle being big I can handle high blood pressure and maybe people staring at me and looking at me like I'm huge for people from high school not recognizing me but it was the thought of never having my own child that sent me over the edge that was when I decided that this was it something that I could delay any longer sure when I was 21 and the last thing on my mind was having a child that has a seizure at 26 it's a very real... So in April I decided that I was going to have bariatric surgery I did everything that my doctor asked and then some followed insurance policies and procedures and in the Five Short months I got approval now to some people this is a chance to look at it as Samantha a chance to fit into that little black dress that makes them feel sexy to have people's head turn and look at you and just say wow look at her but when I got the call saying that I got approval and my surgery date I cried because it was a group of individuals telling me that I get a chance to be a mom I am so happy... I'm so relieved that this is something that I did my life has not been easy I've had to fight tooth and nail for everything that I have and for once I feel like something's on my side I know this is going to be the hardest thing that I've ever had to do but hard things seem a little bit easier when you know that at the end of the line there's a happy ending... I know I can't have children for two years after that surgery and it's going to put you right at the right age when I want to... The surgery means so much more to me then just looking good... This is my happily ever after. this is my chance to be the me that I was supposed to be all along and to be one hell of a mother... Just wanted to share with everybody I might be going through the same thing that I am...

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

WhitneyMc thanks for sharing your story! Having children with my husband and also to be healthier for myself are the reasons I'm doing this! I'm glad that you made a decision to act now and didn't wait until you no longer had a choice! You can do this! It starts with the mind first! I'm getting sleeved September 22nd! I hope to see your progress as time passes on. Remember that you can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wish the best of luck to both of you future mommys. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I wish the best of luck to both of you future mommys. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App