Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about gas pains after surgery

Hi there -

I have read some people experiencing bad gas pains after surgery - I am dreading this. I get bad gas pains maybe once or twice a year, but they are really painful ... I just hate it. I take Gas X, and rub by stomach in circles trying to get the gas out but usually stay up all night completely uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. Is there a prescription the surgeon can give me that will work better than Gas X ... or any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's not really gas in your intestines that's the biggest issue. They put gas into your abdomen during surgery for more room and better visual of the organs. Walking and moving helps the most.

As @@KristenLe said, it is gas that is used to inflate your abdomen. For me, I only really felt it in my left shoulder.

People do use GasX but I am not sure how much good it does because the gas is not in your digestive tract.

Walking, moving, a heating pad, raising my hands over my head, etc. helped the most.

Hi there -

I have read some people experiencing bad gas pains after surgery - I am dreading this. I get bad gas pains maybe once or twice a year, but they are really painful ... I just hate it. I take Gas X, and rub by stomach in circles trying to get the gas out but usually stay up all night completely uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. Is there a prescription the surgeon can give me that will work better than Gas X ... or any other suggestions?

The gas pains you might feel after surgery are not in your abdomen. The pain is usually in the neck, shoulder, or arm. I felt it in my left shoulder. It feels like someone has hit you hard, but it goes away if you walk. When I walk, I feel little to no gas pain. If you feel a lot of pain while you're in the hospital, you can tell the nurse you want something that will take the edge off so you can sleep when it's night time.

Edited by Hiraeth

As the others have said, moving is the best thing to help with the gas pain after surgery. A couple of tips in addition to walking:

--when you get transferred to your hospital room after recovery, don't let them put you into the hospital bed. There should be a small sofa or (even better) a rocking chair or glider in your room. Get yourself into one of those instead of the bed. The more time you spend upright, the faster the gas will leave. Also, you'll find it easier to get up and go walking if you just have to get up from a chair rather than heave yourself in and out of bed. You should only be in bed if you must sleep and can't sleep in the chairs provided in your room.

--when you are sitting up in your room and not walking, spend some time "rocking." If you have a rocker or glider in your room, use that. Rock forward, and as you move forward, lean the upper half of your body into the movement, cross your arms in front of your abdomen, and press. This helps get the gas out.

Good luck!

Some folks have zero pain from this, too.

If you do....then walk it out.

I went to my required support group last Thursday and gas pains were discussed. My surgeon's nurse stated Gax X won't work because the gas is not in your bowels/intestines. She said the only thing that works is walking. After surgery, she stated I will be up walking every 2 hours. She said if I follow this protocol the pain will be less severe and gone within 24 hours. If you don't walk, it will last 48 hours. Years ago I had a female surgery where I had the gas put into my stomach. Nobody warned me about the gas bubbles. I got about 1/2 way home and thought I was having a heart attack. So glad I am pre-warned this time.

I was one of the lucky ones and I didn't have any of this kind of gas pain....I felt a little bloated but nothing more than that.

I didn't have much if any at all gas pain ;-) I had more discomfort from not being able to pass my bowels for sometime :-( still trying to get back on some kind of routine 7 weeks out.

Good luck!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Shaunie

Hi there -

I had it in my neck and shoulders...that was the worst part..the anesthesia will cause it too, once it disipates your good and as everyone has said walking is the key!

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery 4 days ago and didn't experience gas pain. I was worried sick about this, too, but turns out to be a non-issue for me. I only walked a couple of times a day.

I had my surgery 26th July and I can honestly say that I had no gas pain. Which was something I was concerned about. I remember waking up and asking for pain relief because I was sore around my wounds and I went back to sleep and slept right the way through until the next morning and the only reason I woke up was because someone was giving me a bed bath lol

Everyone is different and I hope you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't get much or not at all.

The one thing that I am struggling with is tiredness. Be prepared for that because it certainly took the wind out of my sail :-)

I wish you all the luck with your surgery :-)

Unfortunately the tiredness only get worse before better! ! I'm 7 weeks post-op and I battle it everyday :'(

I also have two small children so that probably plays a factor.

I feel great but it comes in burst!!! Exhaustion just takes over :-D

Hi there -

I am having the surgery on Sept. 20, and I take Probiotics for gas. It helps a lot.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App