Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post-291486-14716609871421_thumb.jpg yeah I've lost 80 lbs most of which I lost on my own Ive lost thirty since my surgery but I hate taking all the pills it makes me gag every time I take six pills most of which are Vitamins and then I have to take other for depression and that fun but was the surgery worth it I'm not sticking to the pre op diet I gag after taking my pills post-291486-14716611525767_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I feel your pain! I'm up to 13 pills right now, one I absolutely despise because it increases my anxiety, makes my lips go numb and only lets me get 3-4 hours of sleep a night. BUT it keeps my liver alive so I guess it's worth it.

And that's the thing about our Vitamins. I'm not sure what kind of surgery you've had but as a bypasser, malabsorption is no joke for me. If I don't take all of those stupid pills, I risk long-term permanent consequences to my body that are not good. Granted, it's tough, especially at the beginning to choke them all down. My Calcium citrate used to sit like lead in my stomach. (And then there was the time I bought a different flavor of Multivitamin because it was on sale. So gross! But I was too cheap to throw them out so I gagged 4 of those disgusting creatures down a day for a month followed by a sugar-free mint chaser).

The good news is, there are lots of decadently yummy options out there for Vitamins. If you do some research, I'm confident that you can find something that is more to your taste and doesn't feel so much like torture each time you take it. I consider my calcium chews like a dessert that makes me look forward to lunch. :)

I also hear your concern about the surgery itself. Is it worth it? I've been lurking on this site for over a year now as well as devouring anything I can regarding WLS and one theme I see over and over again are the stories of people who were able to lose vast amounts of weight on their own only to gain it back plus more. (Personally, I could never lose, I just got bigger and bigger) Yes, you've lost the majority of your weight so far before the surgery, but from what I've learned, the surgery has the highest potential of allowing you to keep it off long-term.

And yet, it's scary sometimes, isn't it? This thing that we've done to ourselves. It's permanent, there's no going back and now we have to live with the consequences of that choice. I'm guessing you are still fairly early on, so not only are you trying to adjust to a new reality, but your body is still in recovery mode and you are being flooded with hormones that amp up all of your emotions. This is a tough time and buyer's remorse at this stage is not uncommon. But please hang in there. Follow your plan, take your vitamins. It would be a tragedy to sacrifice so much to have this tool and then not use it to its full advantage. WLS works. Yes, you will have to take pills for the rest of your life but hopefully, that life will be decades longer than it would have been had you not made the choice to take control of your health.

Thank you for posting. And please keep using this community for support. There are people who care and who want you to succeed. You aren't alone. Sending lots and lots of virtual hugs your way. SuperSparkly

@@may.demers

You are right taking Vitamins that first month or so really isn't fun but it does get easier. And you have to find the right ones to work for you best from a taste standpoint.

After about a month or two you will be able to swallow your Vitamins and not have to chew them. I think I got the go ahead at week 8 post op. I take a generic (Walgreens brand) multi Vitamin with added Vitamin D, I take a generic D3, A generic B1, a sublingual B12, and then the hardest one for me was to find a calcium citrate that I like. Well I tried many and many were simply gross. This is an important Vitamin for us so I would finish the gross ones and try something new.

I ended up going with Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate Chews, I like strawberry and orange flavors. They taste like starburst and honestly I could sit and eat them like that LOL. That of course would not be a good idea.

I buy them on line at Amazon Prime so I can get them quickly. Everything else I buy I get them on sale at Walgreens for buy 1 get 1 free or buy 1 get 1 half off.

Both the Multivitamin and the D3 have enough for one bottle to last you a year so the cost is reasonable.

You can certainly do what you want but I would recommend that you stick to the plan if you had your surgery. If you don't take them you are going to end up with other complications.

Hopefully things will get better for you and you will see the value in this surgery. I lost all my weight and even a little more and so far am keeping it off. I am healthier and have more energy than I have my whole adult life.

Best of luck to you.

For those of you having problems with all the vitamins.I take ProCare it has all the Vitamins it it except calcium citrate .I use Bariactric Advantage Calcium chews.Right now I'm 26 days post-op.I take small bites of the chews and chew really well.No problem.Come in Caramel,Chocolate,Orange Strawberry.They are my sweet treat.Taste like candy.< /p>