Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op diet questions

I just had my surgery last Monday, July 25th. I'm on Clear liquids until Monday, which is when I can transition to full liquids, then it'll be puréed starting Wednesday until I get the okay from my surgeon on Friday when I see him to move to soft foods. I figured I'd write this as one post versus 3 different ones:

On full liquids, I'm planning on drinking mainly Protein Drinks. Is there anything else I can have? If you have any recommendations with healthy puréed foods, please leave them below. And finally, what were some of the first foods you reintroduced back into your system?

The only other thing that is concerning me is that I do feel very hungry. I've been craving food. I'm not going to eat because I know both my belly and body need to heal. Is this normal? I'm definitely getting in enough fluids. Am I actually hungry or do I just *think* I am? I also wanted to ask, and this may sound like a silly question, but how does your body tell you when you're full once you begin eating food again? Sorry, for all the questions, I just want to hear others suggestions and opinions. Thank you in advance!

XO

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Congrats on your surgery :) how are you feeling? (besides hungry? lol) I think a lot of it is probably head hunger.. but I'm sure some of it is actual hunger too.. just hang in there! When I went to full liquids, besides the Protein shakes, I was allowed to have thinned cream of wheat -which I loved!! who would think cream of wheat would seem so exciting haha! It was also really good with some chocolate Protein powder sprinkled in... they (nutritionist) suggested sprinkling Protein Powder into just about everything.. also sugar free apple sauce, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello (sf Jello was way too sweet to me, so I wasn't able to do that), sf or no sugar added popsicles, thinned babyfood (couldn't bring myself to do that), or thinned and blended Soups. I used the magic bullet a lot to blend up Soups and thinned them with Water or skim milk. I also used no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast, because sometimes the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder just seemed to heavy in my stomach..that got easier as time went on. When I started adding more "real" foods, one of my favorites to put in the magic bullet or food processor was cooked turkey or chicken breast, Tomato sauce, and cottage cheese (it has more protein than ricotta) and some shredded cheese. I'd just blend up a small amount-- maybe 1/4-1/2 cup... and would only be able to eat 1/4 cup for quite a while anyway. It tasted so good-- like eating a Pasta dish without the Pasta, or a calzone without the dough.

Once you start your protien drinks you will feel a lot different. You will get some energy back hopefully, then you will also feel what others have felt about, when you can tell when your full.

You also can have sugar free Jello, Popsicles. Once on puréed I saw some eating baby food, I never thought of that. I would have refried Beans with cheese as my go to eats. Also cottage cheese, yogurt, I even did a plain sweet potato which was put in my tiny food musher. My daughter mad some white chicken chili! It was amazing blended up.

There are other members who may have more tricks to eating puréed foods, this is just what I can remember.

Good luck with your journey!

I'm currently on full liquids for 2 weeks post op. I have Protein Shakes, broth, Tomato Soup, jello... Yesterday I ate a Sugar Free Chocolate pudding cup added a spoonful of unflavored Protein Powder and thinned it down some with my chocolate Protein Shake. It tasted like heaven.