Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 days post-op. I've read that you don't get hungry or get cravings post surgery. ???? This girl is hungry. Every time I smell food. See food. Think about food I wish I could eat. I know I'm about to get a bunch of responses about "head hunger", but I legit feel the same hunger as I did pre-op. The good news is that 3 sips of a Protein Shake makes it go away. The bad news is that 20 minutes later I'm hungry again. Anybody else?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A few sips is only a handful of calories and liquid goes through a sleeve pretty fast. Just keep sipping that Protein drink. My goal was 3 a day, but I could usually only get in two. This hungry stuff will most likely stop when you hit soft foods and can get your Protein in via "real" food.

Make sure you are taking your PPI, too. Too much tummy acid mimics the feeling of hunger.

I'm on day 7 today and I actually contacted my coordinator about just this issue. I feel very normal in all aspects post surgery, and normal for me includes being hungry. I'm usually ok during the day except when other people are eating around me, but come night time I'm dying for real food. So over these shakes. She told me it was head hunger and just continue with trying to get my fluids down. All I can do is dream of another 10 days or so before soft foods. My doctors plan doesn't include the purée stage. Hang tough! Mind over matter!

I'm hoping real food is the answer.

I have NO problem putting down Protein shakes. I easily get 3 in and could get more if I wanted to - which I don't.

I feel great, I'm happy with my weight loss, I love this surgery - I was just reallllly hoping it would take my cravings away.

That being said, when I reach my goal, I will try a couple things I crave and see if I get negative effects. That will be an interesting experiment.

@@slimbrick we've got this! Countdown to soft foods!!!

I think it'll change for you once you can get so more solid food......meat, eggs, fish, etc.

I'm two weeks post-op. I've had both head hunger and been truly hungry. It does get better as you progress to more solid food (I'm on purée now).

I don't have the feelings as often as you, but I do get feelings of true hunger.

Thanks everyone. You guys are the best support group!! ⭕️⭕️

@@sonardms I think liquid just goes immediately from your stomach to your small intestine, so you're not feeling the restriction. I think this because of how the barium swallow worked. I watched the x rays as I swallowed and it was in my small intestine in less than 30 seconds.

I had my surgery 7/14 and I'm still on clear liquids and Protein drinks , is it just me or does everyone else feel the same , I don't have any restriction when drinking or eating my Soups ? Is my sleeve not working ? How can I check to see if my sleeve is working or not ? I drink bottles of Water without any problems

Just wait until you get to more solid foods. You'll be amazed how fast you get full. Two ounces of ricotta bake, and I feel like I ate Thanksgiving dinner. (My surgery was on the 12th)

I remember telling my WLS team at the 2 week follow up that I am always hungry and didn't think this was supposed to be the case. In hindsight it was due to being on liquids and puree. My hunger dissipated after progressing to solid food.

Now 2 months post op I rarely feel hunger. It's like they said I have to remind myself to eat.

It has also become clearer to me when I want to eat for emotional reasons....pleasure, boredom, stress, etc. I'm glad the new size of my stomach will no longer allow me to binge in an attempt to satisfy an emotional reason.

I'm 6 days post-op. I've read that you don't get hungry or get cravings post surgery. ???? This girl is hungry. Every time I smell food. See food. Think about food I wish I could eat. I know I'm about to get a bunch of responses about "head hunger", but I legit feel the same hunger as I did pre-op. The good news is that 3 sips of a Protein shake makes it go away. The bad news is that 20 minutes later I'm hungry again. Anybody else?

Are you drinking enough Water? JW. I posted about this before and I'm surprised your nutritionist didn't tell you this but hunger pangs are much the same as when you're thirsty. There is nothing wrong with drinking more than 64oz./day. Idk tho, if you eat and then get hungry again right away...? That doesn't make sense. Maybe get in contact with your surgeon? This is kinda weird. Sorry honey.

I had my surgery 7/14 and I'm still on Clear Liquids and Protein drinks , is it just me or does everyone else feel the same , I don't have any restriction when drinking or eating my Soups ? Is my sleeve not working ? How can I check to see if my sleeve is working or not ? I drink bottles of Water without any problems

I felt the same until just now. I got caught up in a work meeting and opened my Protein shake for Breakfast. I drank it too fast (11 oz within about 15 mins) and I'm MISERABLE. It's very clear it's too much liquid at once. Before that, I didn't ever feel a restriction in terms of liquids.

Update: Day 7 post-op.

Water: 32oz

Vitamin Water: 32oz

Protein: 90 grams, premier Protein

Amy's Organic Tomato Soup: half can

sugar free Jello: 2

sugar free Popsicle: 1

It's 8:52pm. I'm hungry. I'm going for a 2 mile walk now to get my mind off of it. Please give me some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, could do better. All I want to do is eat a can of Peanut Butter. I won't. But I da*^ well want to.

@@LowBMISleever I don't think you're doing anything wrong! My surgeon and staff told me that at a week-2-3 weeks out, it's not unusual. Especially if all you're having are liquids!! Of course we're going to feel ravenous!! Today was my first day with a soft food- I feel like I at lead and it isn't passing through my tummy fast enough.

I've also heard about stomach acid feeling like hunger pain too.