Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 2 weeks post op and started my mushy/puréed stage on Monday, I'm curious as to how some of you guys go about eating/ drinking for the day! Do you just do Breakfast, lunch and dinner and drink water/liquids in between or do you just eat/drink when you're hungry, do you surgeons have you on a specific calorie count per day? Any info is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your surgeon should have given you guidelines and instructions. Every doctor differs but I am on week 3 and on pureed and I have three meals a day plus two Protein shakes in between, as well as a lot of sugar free/non carbonated liquids. Ask your surgeon or nutritionist for literature showing what you can and cannot have at each stage. It's very important.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

My bariatric team is very against "just eat or drink when you're hungry" because that kind of careless, unregulated eating is what led most of us to morbid obesity in the first place. Our marching orders are very strict: 3 small meals per day (puree meal size was 1.5 oz maximum, every meal must be weighed) and only Protein Shakes and non caloric liquids as Snacks.< /p>

Check with your team for their instructions for you -- they should have provided that info.

@@Mrs.Snipes

I had Water all day non stop my first 3 months. Only stopping before and after "meals", but I sipped Water all day. That is pretty much the only way to stay hydrated.

When I wake up, then and now, I drink 18 ounces of water. Wait 30-45 minutes, eat. Wait 30-45 minutes, start drinking water.

My meals were planned. Protein shakes, or whatever, every 3 hours to meet my Protein requirements. I never had calorie requirements or outlines, just protein first, and a protein minimum.

What does your plan say?

I am 10 days post op and also on mushies/pureed. I have to eat 6 -2oz "meals" a day and sip Water the rest of the day. For the first month post op I have no Protein or calorie requirements for my first month, and our Water goal is at least 32oz a day. My 2oz meals are a variety of things, Protein shakes, soup/broth, cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed avocado or banana, v8, a spoonful of potent butter, humus, refried Beans or baby food.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

My biggest problem intially was remembering to eat. One of the worst headaches I have ever had was I flew to CO for meetings in the morning, and it just went wall to wall and went back to the air port to fly home and I realized, "I have not eaten all day" and it hurt. So I would suggest learning mindful eating during this phase.

I'm on soft food/purées and I have to agree- it is seriously a full time job to get this right at this stage. All the advice about planning and regimenting consumption to a schedule is spot on.

For the past week I've been traveling in a foreign country and I've been so busy with work or sightseeing for the bigger part of the day that I've actually been forcing myself to wake up 2 hours earlier than I need to in order to start getting in fluids and Protein.

So I wake up and down 8-16 oz of Water and a Protein shake. That takes me 60-90 minutes. Then I wait 30-45 minutes and have my 2 oz of yogurt or cottage cheese. While I'm out and about I have loads of Water and a Powerade zero. I've been packing a yogurt and a piece of cheese. Then when I get home at night I have another Protein Shake and another piece of cheese. Wait 30- 45 minutes and finish a 16 oz water before bed.

Almost exclusively dairy which is annoying. When I was home last week I was eating canned or cooked soft fish and sometimes eggs which made a nice difference. I'm heading to an all inclusive resort tomorrow for the rest of the week and I'm planning to get my 2 oz of soft Protein rich food at least 4 times a day and break the dairy dependence.

Your surgeon should have given you guidelines and instructions. Every doctor differs but I am on week 3 and on pureed and I have three meals a day plus two Protein shakes in between, as well as a lot of sugar free/non carbonated liquids. Ask your surgeon or nutritionist for literature showing what you can and cannot have at each stage. It's very important.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

The problem is I'm in Germany and tho my surgeon gave me info it's just something that they printed from the internet so that it could be in English, but the info thy gave me versus what their NUT is telling me so it's a little confusing so I've just been following the info I had from my previous surgeon in the states, until I can get in to see a NUT on the base where I'm stationed! So I just wanted some insight until I can get in to see someone

@@Mrs.Snipes

I had Water all day non stop my first 3 months. Only stopping before and after "meals", but I sipped Water all day. That is pretty much the only way to stay hydrated.

When I wake up, then and now, I drink 18 ounces of water. Wait 30-45 minutes, eat. Wait 30-45 minutes, start drinking water.

My meals were planned. Protein shakes, or whatever, every 3 hours to meet my Protein requirements. I never had calorie requirements or outlines, just protein first, and a protein minimum.

What does your plan say?

Thank you for the info, my plan is not in very much detail I'm stationed in Germany and although my doctors speak English their plans are very different from those in the states once released from the hospital you can have most foods that are tolerated but in moderation and Protein Shakes of course, the literature they gave me had examples of foods/menus but the only thing it really says is to try to get in 64oz of liquid and 70-80g of protein! I have an appt finally with a NUT on post here but not until 8/11 so I'm kind of on my own and just trying to follow my previous surgeons plan!

I'm on soft food/purées and I have to agree- it is seriously a full time job to get this right at this stage. All the advice about planning and regimenting consumption to a schedule is spot on.

For the past week I've been traveling in a foreign country and I've been so busy with work or sightseeing for the bigger part of the day that I've actually been forcing myself to wake up 2 hours earlier than I need to in order to start getting in fluids and Protein.

So I wake up and down 8-16 oz of Water and a Protein shake. That takes me 60-90 minutes. Then I wait 30-45 minutes and have my 2 oz of yogurt or cottage cheese. While I'm out and about I have loads of Water and a Powerade zero. I've been packing a yogurt and a piece of cheese. Then when I get home at night I have another Protein Shake and another piece of cheese. Wait 30- 45 minutes and finish a 16 oz water before bed.

Almost exclusively dairy which is annoying. When I was home last week I was eating canned or cooked soft fish and sometimes eggs which made a nice difference. I'm heading to an all inclusive resort tomorrow for the rest of the week and I'm planning to get my 2 oz of soft protein rich food at least 4 times a day and break the dairy dependence.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this phase, it sounds like you have it all together, I may try some of those things you're doing and see it works for me! I live in a foreign country so I understand! I guess I'm finding it hard because I'm just not hungry so I don't want to eat, but I know I need to but if I'm still full from the previous meal why force myself to eat?! The struggle is real

Almost exclusively dairy which is annoying. When I was home last week I was eating canned or cooked soft fish and sometimes eggs which made a nice difference. I'm heading to an all inclusive resort tomorrow for the rest of the week and I'm planning to get my 2 oz of soft Protein rich food at least 4 times a day and break the dairy dependence.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this phase, it sounds like you have it all together, I may try some of those things you're doing and see it works for me! I live in a foreign country so I understand! I guess I'm finding it hard because I'm just not hungry so I don't want to eat, but I know I need to but if I'm still full from the previous meal why force myself to eat?! The struggle is real

I hear you but you do have to force yourself on the protein a bit. My doctor wants me getting at least 60-70 grams a day. That's why the shakes are so clutch. Honestly I grabbed a bunch of single packs for this trip last minute and thank god I did. I don't know how I would have hit my goals without them. I just checked and I only have 3 left for 4 more days and I had been relying on them 2x a day. So I'm going to need to force myself to eat like fish or something on a strict schedule over the next 4 days or I won't hit my goals.

It's really hard though. Like this morning I had to leave for the airport around 6 am. I woke up at 5 and forced myself to choke down a half a Greek yogurt. I sooo didn't want it, I'm never hungry that early. But now I'm on a plane and won't be anywhere near food/protein until at least noon. I looked frantically in the airport for a protein shake but they didn't have them. So even the measly 7 grams of protein I got from the yogurt was a worthwhile battle because without it I'd be at 0. Actually I just remembered I threw my last babybel in my bag so I can eat that now.

I don't think we're ever supposed to be "hungry" at this stage. I would happily just sip fuids at this point.

If it helps you at all- I make my Protein Shakes with milk for added protein. They have milk in Germany!

I am not quite 4 weeks post-op and i have to set an alarm every three hours to remember to eat/drink especially at work. I'm not always getting my required liquid amount which is 48 ozs right now but I am getting my Protein. I have always struggled with liquid consumption. Slowly getting better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Almost exclusively dairy which is annoying. When I was home last week I was eating canned or cooked soft fish and sometimes eggs which made a nice difference. I'm heading to an all inclusive resort tomorrow for the rest of the week and I'm planning to get my 2 oz of soft protein rich food at least 4 times a day and break the dairy dependence.

I hear you but you do have to force yourself on the protein a bit. My doctor wants me getting at least 60-70 grams a day. That's why the shakes are so clutch. Honestly I grabbed a bunch of single packs for this trip last minute and thank god I did. I don't know how I would have hit my goals without them. I just checked and I only have 3 left for 4 more days and I had been relying on them 2x a day. So I'm going to need to force myself to eat like fish or something on a strict schedule over the next 4 days or I won't hit my goals.

It's really hard though. Like this morning I had to leave for the airport around 6 am. I woke up at 5 and forced myself to choke down a half a Greek yogurt. I sooo didn't want it, I'm never hungry that early. But now I'm on a plane and won't be anywhere near food/protein until at least noon. I looked frantically in the airport for a protein shake but they didn't have them. So even the measly 7 grams of protein I got from the yogurt was a worthwhile battle because without it I'd be at 0. Actually I just remembered I threw my last babybel in my bag so I can eat that now.

I don't think we're ever supposed to be "hungry" at this stage. I would happily just sip fuids at this point.

If it helps you at all- I make my Protein Shakes with milk for added protein. They have milk in Germany!

Wow you're doing great, I guess I really need to focus more and really make sure I'm getting in my Proteins and such whether I'm hungry or not, I've been using almond milk never been a huge fan of milk unless it's in Cereal. Thank you for taking the time to respond with helpful tips/info I appreciate it!