Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So in order for everything to make sense I have to start at the very beginning. In June of 2007 I had my lap band. I weighed 302 pounds at my very heaviest. I am 5 8. I lost down to 156 pounds. Well I guess I should say within 3 months of having my surgery I got pregnant and during my pregnancy I lost 42 pounds and then lost the remainder Within 9 months of having the baby. So I did very well keeping that weight off for so long. Then 4 years ago in January I had a Tummy Tuck. During my tummy tuck , my surgeon flipped my port. I had my lapband completely unfilled prior to my tummy tuck surgery, because of potential swelling, they thought it would be safer 2 make sure it was completely unfilled. So when I went to have my lap band refilled after the tummy tuck , about six weeks post-op , they were hitting metal. So I ended up going back to the plastic surgeon, he said he could fix it. Well he was a dumbass and did not fix it in fact completely flipped it all the way around instead of just on its side. So therefore I had to go in and get a new port and have my lap band Port totally rearranged, it used to be on my side and now it's directly above my belly button , which is extremely uncomfortable while wearing jeans. Anyway, I have had a very difficult time getting back into what we call the green zone. For so many years I was so easily successful and did so amazing and in the last 4 years it has been nothing but a struggle. I have the 5 CC band width is almost unheard of anymore. They are very difficult to work with, and extremely difficult to get in the green zone. So we will fast forward to the beginning of February 2016 , I was having major issues with my lap band it seemed to have a mind of its own. It just was so super tight or it was completely loose. But I was literally throwing up everytime I ate so at this point I was maintaining right around a hundred and seventy pounds. I went in to see the doctor because I couldn't stand the constant vomiting. There were days I couldn't even get Water to go down. I would sometimes have to sleep sitting up to keep my spit from shooting out my nose with the acid. So he completely unfilled me. I was planning on going in for a revision to the sleeve and starting that entire process, and on February 28th I was in a very horrible car accident where I sustained a head injury, I broke my neck in two places and shattered my foot. I was not able to walk until the beginning of June. So in April when I really started gaining weight because I was unable to move , I went in and asked that they please give me a fill since I was going on an unfilled band. They put in half of what he had taken out before. And again I started the whole throwing up process all over again. Unable to even get liquids to go down. So yes I lost weight but only because I could keep nothing down. I was miserable. So by this time in May when I went and got a fill again, I was up to 212 pounds. And so in June I finally couldn't stand it anymore I went in and ask to take out a half of that fill. So now I feel that I am at a very good place as far as what I think my restriction should be at, I can't eat like a normal person obviously, no bread no tortillas nothing like that but because I can eat anything at all, and it goes down I have gone back up to 211 pounds so I have an appointment on Friday, to talk about switching over to the sleeve. Because the small band is just a nightmare. I have proven that I am very successful with the band however, at this point I do not feel successful at all because I'm pretty much damned if I do and damned if I don't. I cannot find any place that I can lose weight unless I can't eat at all. So, I don't know what the difference would be if I got the sleeve, and could eat basically just like I do now, because I can't lose weight now. So what would be the difference if I went with the sleeve? Has anyone had this experience? Or am I just screwed? Thank you for your advice.

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

Hi Shawna, I was banded in Dec 2009 and lost 100 lbs. soon after is when my problems started. I had the vomiting, acid reflux, and several times in hospital due to dehydration. Your port issues are completely unique.

I finally had my band loosened because we could never find a happy spot & my doctor kept blaming me & didn't believe what I was eating. Some of my complications were due to a hiatal hernia, severe esophagitis, and my gallbladder. Another doctor found these issues. I did gain back most of my weight but at least I could live my life.

Exactly 3 weeks ago, I had my band removed and converted to VSG. The beginning stages have been very similar to the band. I will not say it is easy but I feel more confident. You don't feel food stuck in esophagus, I have had foamies a couple of times as I get used to how much I can eat. Surprisingly, your taste buds seem to change BUT my stomach doesn't growl, and I don't have physical hunger pains. I won't be able to cheat the sleeve like you could with the band. So far, I am happy. I wish you luck in your decision. I have a tone more weight to lose than you do, but even without the sleeve, I would have had my band removed.

Hi Shawna, I was banded in Dec 2009 and lost 100 lbs. soon after is when my problems started. I had the vomiting, acid reflux, and several times in hospital due to dehydration. Your port issues are completely unique.

I finally had my band loosened because we could never find a happy spot & my doctor kept blaming me & didn't believe what I was eating. Some of my complications were due to a hiatal hernia, severe esophagitis, and my gallbladder. Another doctor found these issues. I did gain back most of my weight but at least I could live my life.

Exactly 3 weeks ago, I had my band removed and converted to VSG. The beginning stages have been very similar to the band. I will not say it is easy but I feel more confident. You don't feel food stuck in esophagus, I have had foamies a couple of times as I get used to how much I can eat. Surprisingly, your taste buds seem to change BUT my stomach doesn't growl, and I don't have physical hunger pains. I won't be able to cheat the sleeve like you could with the band. So far, I am happy. I wish you luck in your decision. I have a tone more weight to lose than you do, but even without the sleeve, I would have had my band removed.

Thank you so much. I wish you the best of luck. It's a daily demon. Ugh

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

Just a question. Is there a reason you have not considered RNY? I ask because this surgery cures reflux. Trust me, I had severe reflux and it has been gone since day 1 post op.

The restriction is always there controlling the amount of food that I eat. It is up to me to put the right things in my body. Hunger does come back after a period of time however it is not as strong and can be relieved with just a few bites of good Protein.

Weight loss is still hard work but the side effects at least for me personally have been very few. I have lost 151lbs and I am 2 years post op.

Most people do not suffer dumping and even if you did it would be less of a nuisance than what you are already dealing with. Both surgeries require supplements for life but with blood testing once or twice yearly you know exactly where you are at.

I know some people are afraid but trust me it really is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I would not be afraid and it would likely kick start your metabolism again and get things moving.

I am so sorry that you have had such a rough road and I hope things get better for you soon.

Hi Shawna,

I highly recommend the sleeve. I was banded in 2005 and did great for many years, up until mid 2015 or so when I started having reflux, heartburn, and the random tightness/looseness that sounds similar to what you are describing. It was a given "yak" after every meal and then non-stop heartburn for the next several hours. Problems at night with regurgitation in my sleep. It was pretty unpleasant. I had a endoscopy early this year and gastro doc found some erosion, pre-barretts condition, so he advised an unfill and consult with my surgeon. After a consult and psych eval, I was approved for sleeve and had the band removed and sleeved on June 17.

I have never had a second thought. So far, much easier recovery than lap-band, it has gone like clockwork. It is a different experience than the band. The food restrictions became really annoying with the lapband...no such long term restrictions, aside from carbonation, and drinking liquids around your eating times. That has not been an issue. I am 6 weeks post op, follow up appt today. Will be moving to regular diet soon. Still on soft foods,

I have ZERO hunger. It is great! Once you eat a meal, Protein first, my experience has been that I get pretty full at around 4oz of food. And I don't get hungry for a LONG time. In fact, I ever really get hungry anymore, but I know when I am "empty".

My surgeon and his nurse practitioner (i see her on some follow up visits) advised 3 Protein filled meals, with small Snacks in between. There is a protein target and calorie target they have given me, based on my personal data....I am sure it may vary from person to person.

So far, it has been great. The best thing is the absence of hunger something that actually came back pretty often with the band...I think because of the reflux issues.

Anyway... sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for my health, even over the band. Down 31 lbs in six weeks, I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, and am already off a daily blood pressure medicine, as I am now in the normal range.

My .02.

Hey Shanna. You are definitely NOT alone. I got the BAND in December 2007. I lost a total of about 100 lbs. My heaviest has been 303. Well since then I have had a partial hyst, and a breast reduction, gone through a divorce and started my life all over. So I've had some "life" to happen as well. Over about the last 2 years, I've watched my weight slowly creep b up. Now I am getting closer to 50, but there have been changes I'm thinking as far as my body goes and hormones and stuff that have taken their toll on me as well. I begin to talk with my doctor about what was going on, because there are weight issues in my family on both sides, and I knew the direction that I could go in very easily. Also both of my parents are Diabetic, and my dad had heart problems which he passed away as a direct result, so I am fighting for my life, literally. wanting to keep my weight under control, my doctor and I had several conversations. As of this year, he had placed me on Phentermine, and the NO CARBS diet. Well the diet gave me the best 12lbs I could have lost, then I got stuck. Nothing happened after that month. knowing that I had the band, he began to tell me about how the band patients were unfortunately not able to maintain their success to the tune of about 63%. That wasn't good. So it seems like you were like me and got yours at the height of its hay day. I wont say that the band failed me, but I just got my sleeve at the end June. The difference between this and the sleeve, is day and night. I wish that I had opted for this from the start, honestly. Other than the food stages, and oddly enough, my Vitamins, make me so queasy. Beyond that , I'm good. I put things in my body to be sure that I have good energy, but I do get tired a little. But again, I have to put fuel in. I think it will be one of the best things that you can do for yourself. I still have the same benefits of KNOWING when its enough, or your body will let you know. I've lost over 20lbs and with my clothes, I'm already able to get into the things that I couldn't or they were tight, so that's a plus as well. I would say go for it! You wont have to worry about maintaining a band, just maintain you sweetie! Good luck!!! :D

Hello,

I am looking into getting my lap band removed after 3 years and revised to the sleeve.

Has anyone had this done through Cigna insurance? Just wondering was it hard for approval.