Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet/post-op diet

I'm scheduled for July 25th for my gastric sleeve. Is anyone else scheduled for the 25th and/or near there?

My question(s) tonight is-- for those who have already had the surgery done and/or are one the clear diet, what did you consume? My surgeon requires being on a 48 hr clear diet before surgery. I know I could have Jello, chicken broth, cranberry/apple juice, basically anything clear. Does anyone have suggestions of other things I can consume?

What I really need suggestions for is my post-op diet. What are the best things to consume post-op that are filled with Protein? How long was it until you could even try a solid? I know everyone is different, and responds differently to foods, but I'd love to hear from others. I met with the nutritionist, but she didn't go over much regarding post-op other than I should be taking sips of Water every 15 minutes.

Thank you in advance!

-Laura

P.S. I'm new to this site, and I'm still learning to use this app. This may sound like a silly question, but how do I check my private messages? Someone messaged me last night, and now I can't find it to respond lol.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon requires being on a 48 hr clear diet before surgery. I know I could have Jello, chicken broth, cranberry/apple juice, basically anything clear. Does anyone have suggestions of other things I can consume?

Tea, beef broth, miso broth, G2, Vitamin Water Zero, Propel Zero. You can get Protein powders that mix well with water -- Unjury chicken Soup, Syntrax Nectar fruit or tea flavors. You can buy individual size packets of those, which would probably make sense if you don't have an extended Clear Liquids diet post-op.

What I really need suggestions for is my post-op diet. What are the best things to consume post-op that are filled with Protein?

On full liquid phase: Protein Shakes

Puree phase: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese (Google Eggface ricotta bake for a great recipe), scrambled or poached eggs, refried Beans with melted cheese. I made a lot of pureed casserole (minus the high carb ingredients) type things. Basically I would take meat, add a flavorful sauce, puree, put in a tiny little ramekin and heat in the microwave maybe with a little melted cheese on top. So, salmon with dill sauce, chicken breast with marinara sauce & mozzarella cheese, tuna with low fat roquefort dressing & swiss cheese, turkey with peanut satay sauce & jack cheese, ground bison with low carb BBQ Sauce & cheddar cheese -- you can do whatever works for you.

How long was it until you could even try a solid?

Everything will depend on the food progression your team gives you. I am sure your dietitian will give you more info as your date gets closer, but if you are curious now, call them up and ask if they can email you a copy of your post-op eating guidelines, or if you can stop by and pick up a copy.

My team has extremely conservative guidelines, so I was on full liquids for four weeks, purees for four weeks, and then soft foods (easily cut with a fork) for four months.

but how do I check my private messages? Someone messaged me last night, and now I can't find it to respond lol.

I use the website, not the app, version of bariatric pal so unfortunately I can't help you here. Hopefully someone else can step in and provide an answer.

My surgeon requires being on a 48 hr clear diet before surgery. I know I could have Jello, chicken broth, cranberry/apple juice, basically anything clear. Does anyone have suggestions of other things I can consume?

Tea, beef broth, miso broth, G2, Vitamin Water Zero, Propel Zero. You can get Protein powders that mix well with Water -- unjury chicken Soup, Syntrax nectar fruit or tea flavors. You can buy individual size packets of those, which would probably make sense if you don't have an extended clear liquids diet post-op.

What I really need suggestions for is my post-op diet. What are the best things to consume post-op that are filled with Protein?

On full liquid phase: Protein shakes

Puree phase: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese (Google Eggface ricotta bake for a great recipe), scrambled or poached eggs, refried Beans with melted cheese. I made a lot of pureed casserole (minus the high carb ingredients) type things. Basically I would take meat, add a flavorful sauce, puree, put in a tiny little ramekin and heat in the microwave maybe with a little melted cheese on top. So, salmon with dill sauce, chicken breast with marinara sauce & mozzarella cheese, tuna with low fat roquefort dressing & swiss cheese, turkey with peanut satay sauce & jack cheese, ground bison with low carb BBQ Sauce & cheddar cheese -- you can do whatever works for you.

How long was it until you could even try a solid?

Everything will depend on the food progression your team gives you. I am sure your dietitian will give you more info as your date gets closer, but if you are curious now, call them up and ask if they can email you a copy of your post-op eating guidelines, or if you can stop by and pick up a copy.

My team has extremely conservative guidelines, so I was on full liquids for four weeks, purees for four weeks, and then soft foods (easily cut with a fork) for four months.

but how do I check my private messages? Someone messaged me last night, and now I can't find it to respond lol.

I use the website, not the app, version of bariatric pal so unfortunately I can't help you here. Hopefully someone else can step in and provide an answer.

Thank you so much! I met with the dietician yesterday while I was at my appointment with the social worker. Oh, and I figured out how to check messages lol. Thanks again!

I'm having my surgery july 25

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using the BariatricPal App

Gastric sleeve like u

Yayyyyy!!!! I've been looking for a July 25th buddy! ????

I just got moved from the 27 th to the 25th. Just got blood work done today and my chest X-ray. It is starting to become real. I have a two week diet. First week is just Protein with little carbs second week is liquid diet.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have to start my preop diet July 11 what bout u

I start today too! Although it's still the 10th to me because it's 3:53AM here, and I haven't fallen asleep yet lol. You can message me anytime! I'm getting really anxious and really excited. My mind is a whirlwind of emotions!

I just got moved from the 27 th to the 25th. Just got blood work done today and my chest X-ray. It is starting to become real. I have a two week diet. First week is just Protein with little carbs second week is liquid diet.

Another July 25th! :) I'm on a 2 week low carb/high Protein diet, and the 48 hrs before surgery will be a clear liquid diet.

First week of diet was high Protein and low carb. Next week is the liquid diet. So not looking forward to it. How about you?

I'm having gastric sleeve July 26th!