Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Patients - When did you meet your surgeon?

Hi all,

I have Cigna and it requires me to have 3 weight loss visits, a psych visit, and a sleep study. July 1st is my 3rd visit and I have my last office visit the beginning of August. I have done my psych visit and sleep study. I am going through True Results. Last week I called and inquired about when I will meet my surgeon and was told that I would not meet him until after my insurance came back approved for the surgery.

Well according to them, once my paperwork is submitted to my insurance I have to go with whatever surgeon they put on the paperwork or wait an additional 30 days to change and submit again. I am worried about only being able to meet my surgeon 2 weeks before the surgery. What if I do not like the surgeon? I have been told his name but their are few reviews on him. The office would like to schedule my surgery for a surgi-center and not a hospital and I am told I will go home the same day.

Is this typical? What was your experience in regards to meeting the surgeon and hospital/outpatient stay?

I met my surgeon last week, and I am at the very beginning of my insurance process. Does this surgeon have an informational seminar that you could attend, so you could meet them and get a feel for whether you like them or not?

Hooo boy, I would not be ok with that. My very first appointment was a consult with the surgeon and I requested a different surgeon than the one I was originally scheduled with. It is important to me that I get on well with the surgeon and not have a sliver of doubt about their abilities.

My first appointment was at my surgeon's office. I met him right after the nurse practitioner. I chose him and his program (penn metabolic and bariatric surgery). I wouldn't be ok with not knowing who my surgeon was and what his stats are etc.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Thats exactly how I feel. There are no informational sessions. They have 1 group meeting a month and its mainly for post-op. There is one other Dr that they work with who has informational sessions and does it at the TOPS surgical center/hospital. I called that dr.'s office and they said they can not meet with me if I have started with True Results and that TR would have to call them and work something in where I can have a consult with him. I am towards the end and do not want to have to start all over again...This is really not sitting well with me.

I met my surgeon at the seminar (8 months before surgery) I had 3 appointments with him in between.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My first appt was with the surgeon and saw him every month since

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thats exactly how I feel. There are no informational sessions. They have 1 group meeting a month and its mainly for post-op. There is one other Dr that they work with who has informational sessions and does it at the TOPS surgical center/hospital. I called that dr.'s office and they said they can not meet with me if I have started with True Results and that TR would have to call them and work something in where I can have a consult with him. I am towards the end and do not want to have to start all over again...This is really not sitting well with me.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. Honestly, if it were me, I would rather start the process over again with a surgeon that I could talk to, vs. taking a risk that I wouldn't like/feel confident with whatever surgeon they decided to give me.

I've been through 3 programs. With the first two, I met the surgeon immediately. I moved out of state midway through my most current program and didn't get to meet the surgeon here until a month ago at my pre-op visit. Thankfully, this surgeon is very skilled and very likable! I wouldn't want to continue i a program not knowing who is going to be operating on me. I like to be able to check credentials and get a feel for whether the surgeon has a good bedside manner.

I researched the Bariatric surgeons in my area, and then I called him and made an appointment to see him.

I saw him for just a consultation first---to see if we were compatible.

I met with him after every specialty consult to go the results.---Cardiology, pulmonology, labwork, xrays, Nutritionist, and therapist.

By the time my surgery date came, we were both comfortable with one another .

The bond between patient and surgeon is sacrosanct and has to be built upon a solid foundation.

Hi all,

I have Cigna and it requires me to have 3 weight loss visits, a psych visit, and a sleep study. July 1st is my 3rd visit and I have my last office visit the beginning of August. I have done my psych visit and sleep study. I am going through True Results. Last week I called and inquired about when I will meet my surgeon and was told that I would not meet him until after my insurance came back approved for the surgery.

Well according to them, once my paperwork is submitted to my insurance I have to go with whatever surgeon they put on the paperwork or wait an additional 30 days to change and submit again. I am worried about only being able to meet my surgeon 2 weeks before the surgery. What if I do not like the surgeon? I have been told his name but their are few reviews on him. The office would like to schedule my surgery for a surgi-center and not a hospital and I am told I will go home the same day.

Is this typical? What was your experience in regards to meeting the surgeon and hospital/outpatient stay?

I met with the surgeon first and discussed options. Then I met Nutritionist and Psych. Once insurance approval goes thru I'm scheduled again with the surgeon. I would think all of the work you've done will be transferable. I would ask for a consultation with the surgeon at TR and if they don't allow that then go somewhere else.

My Dr. that I see is my surgeon. I just started the process for the second time. The first time was I saw my surgeon as well first Dr. visit a few years ago, I had United Healthcare which requires six months of seeing the nutritionist. I have Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield now and they require only three. Hopefully I won't be so scared to stop the process this time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Wow! I would hate that. I met with my surgeon first appointment before I'd even decided. Then again when I decided to start pre op process, then twice more before surgery day.

I met my surgeon at the initial seminar, and then again the week after for my personal consultation with him......I had one more appointment with him prior to surgery for my pre-op appointment.

I had to attend a seminar put on my by surgeon before I could schedule my appointment. He offers them in person or online. I opted for the online one. It was like 90 minutes long. So I saw him and got a feel for him during that. Then my very first appointment (back in January) was with him. I had to have 6 month supervised diet, and I met with the dietician for those, as well as a fitness expert. I saw the surgeon again for my EGD (he performed it and went over the procedure before starting). Now I don't think I'll see him until the morning of surgery. (July 27th).

I also had to attend a support group meeting. I went to two of them and the surgeon showed up at both of those to answer questions for people as well.

It seems quite reasonable to ask for a consult with the surgeon. He is going to be cutting you open and rearranging things in your body. This is a person you need to feel comfortable with and trust. Call your insurance company and discuss whether the consult would be covered and push a bit if they question it. Ask them what they'd do if they were you.

Good luck on your journey!