Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you with PCOS, did you have any symptom improvement after surgery? I ha e very irregular periods, like maybe once every 2 years or so now, tons of excess hair everywhere!!! Skin tags, and that brownish discoloration on my back, arm pits and inner thigh... Tons of embarrassing symptoms. Just curious if anyone had improvement with their PCOS, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The discoloration is all part of that metabolic syndrome that goes with insulin resistance and all that, it may clear up from what I've read. Frankly I'm kind of ok not having a period! Lol

@tpasun.... I was getting use to not having one, wham like clock work it's been back for the past 4 months... For some reason upon its return it's back with a vengeance, I'm exhausted and crazy cramps

Hello! I have pretty severe pcos, and before surgery I had the whole gamut of problems. I rarely got my period, had terrible cramps even when not bleeding, skin tags, acne, excess hair growth, you name it. The darkened skin is called acathosis nigricans, if any of you here are interested in googling it for yourself.

I am 9 months post RNY, and I can say that many of my pcos symptoms have improved. I get my period most months now, around the same time every month (is this what it feels like to have an actual cycle? I'm grudgingly grateful, I guess :P). The skin tags I used to have at least 3-5 of all over my face are gone without a trace. The acanthosis nigricans is also gone, though if you touch my neck and chest where it used to be, the skin is very slightly rougher than the rest of me. You can't see it, though. The Hair growth on my chin and upper lip have not really reduced at all, unfortunately, but overall, I would say the symptoms have greatly reduced.

The only thing I've used that improved the hair growth is a med called spironolactone. I've been on it for like 3 years now, and when I stop taking it for a few days, it's like a forest pops up in the span of a few hours. It also clears my skin up. I would highly recommend it. :)

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much cervidae! You've given me hope that so much is gonna get better. I'm so excited for surgery but it's getting closer and I'm starting to get nervous. I'm on spironolactone for blood pressure and it's not helping with the facial hair, but I'm starting laser removal soon, it works amazingly and is worth every penny.

My cycles are regular now.. Skin tags are gone..hair growth hasn't changed. I'm thinking about the laser hair removal again. Every part of me is changing but that

@nyteacher125oh yes, it helps with acne quite a bit. It's been very strange but wonderful to have strangers and loved ones alike raving about how clear and beautiful my skin is now. :)

@@tpasun if you don't mind me asking, how much is it, roughly, for laser hair removal? Does it hurt? I really only care about my chin and mustache getting done, but I'm thinking it's going to be a loooong time before I can afford it.

@nyteacher125oh yes, it helps with acne quite a bit. It's been very strange but wonderful to have strangers and loved ones alike raving about how clear and beautiful my skin is now. :)

@@tpasun if you don't mind me asking, how much is it, roughly, for laser hair removal? Does it hurt? I really only care about my chin and mustache getting done, but I'm thinking it's going to be a loooong time before I can afford it.

We have a couple places around here. I remember it being like 300 a treatment. This is for 3 areas on me, chin, jaw and neck

I went to a place that charged $100 per small area per session, but the laser they were using was not as good as some others. Generally at least 6 sessions is needed, about 6 weeks apart. It is unpleasant, a stinging sensation, but not terribly painful. It's also very quick, a session to do my entire face, side burns chin neck and upper lip ran about 15 minutes, then you can put a cold cloth on that helps calm the skin. You'll also smell the burning hair which smells awful but you know it's working! I'm going for a consult soon at ideal image, I'll update with pricing!

skin discoloration has definitely improved for me 7 months out and its almost gone... i have the implant, so can't comment on the periods. Nexplanon gives me nice, regular, predictable periods.