Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips and advice for our newbies

*follow your eating plan

*eat your Protein

*take your Vitamins

*drink your Water

*go low carb

*low to no sugar

*exercise

*as you lose weight & get into better shape - keep revamping your exercise, don't sweat it if you don't lose every day or every week - it's gonna come off so don't dwell on it

*enjoy the journey because it goes fast

*don't obsess over losing the weight

(try not to anyways)

*enjoy other things going on in your life

*Celebrate weight loss with non-food things

*if you do go out to eat at a restaurant - don't get too anxious; you're gonna have healthier options but even if you do choose unhealthy you're only going to have a small portion so it's not gonna hurt your progress (just don't make it an everyday habit)

*stay away from your trigger food(s) - they can get you into trouble... mine is popcorn. (Or aka crackcorn)

*enjoy the compliments - don't turn around with a negative comment like "yeah but I have loose skin or I still have X amount of weight to lose"

*just smile and say thank you - you know you deserved that compliment and know how hard you worked to get to where you are...

*don't let anyone get you down with saying shitty things like "I knew of someone that lost all the weight only to gain it back" --- you are not that person they are referring to.

*really push yourself with exercise (later on) - you won't die even though you may feel like you are.

See what you're made of!

You'll feel so good afterwards knowing that "I just did that!"

It's addicting. You'll want to continue to push your own limits.

*try new exercises and such

*your incisions will be tender, red and sore. If they are oozing pus then get them checked out - otherwise they should be fine

*that left (or sometimes right) shoulder pain is the leftover gas/air they pumped up your stomach with from surgery - it'll go away

*that extra painful area (left quadrant) on your stomach is where most of the work was done. It will be sore longer. (Bypass patients anyways) - the pain will go away eventually

*do what your doctor says about eating, drinking, exercise, everything. Follow the rules!

*Just remember why you had this surgery.

You want to be healthy and happy.

***No food or drink will make you as happy as how that new dress or pair of jeans fit. ***

- Or when you are able to walk or jog without being so out of breath

- or when you can fit in an airplane seat comfortably and not need a seat belt extension.

- or when you don't have to worry if that plastic chair will hold you

- or you can bend down to pick up that pencil you dropped and get up easily

- or having that social anxiety anytime you go out in public

- or looking around a crowded room only to be mortified that you're the biggest one there

- or taking the elevator up one floor and being ashamed of it because you know what people are thinking

Don't let the food control you anymore.

***Nothing tastes as good as being fit and healthy feels.***

*Don't think you have to have a certwin food because you'll never have it again; it will always be there. It's not going anywhere. You're just choosing to not have it now - you're in control. McDonald's will still be around 100 years from now, so don't fret.

*Breathe.

*You can do this.

It's easier than you think. You will have a tough time at first because everything is so new and you're most likely withdrawling from carbs, sugars, junk etc. But once that is out of your system - it does get easier, honest!

And when the weight starts dropping your priorities and cravings change.

You'll crave more successful weight loss then you will carbs! You'll think to yourself "that *insert food of choice here* isn't worth it!"

You'll crave exercise. Your body will anxiously await to move!

*Weigh and track your food. It helps a lot. I use Myfitnesspal. And I have a fitbit. Friendly competition is motivating :)

*Take one day at a time, again, try not to obsess and have your weight loss consume your mind. There are other things to your life right now too.

*Every few weeks or month - go thru your closet and try on smaller clothes - this is a huge motivator! I forgot to do that so many times and totally bypassed clothes and then never even got to wear them. (Brand new clothes, dammit!)

Gave them away with the price tags still on them.

Anyways, you can do this!

If there's any other questions - just ask :)

Heather

**if there is anything someone wants to add -- please do!

Let's all help each other be as successful as we can possibly be!

Surgery date: September 21 2015

Starting weight: 273.4

Current weight 168.4

Loss of 105 lbs so far.

18 to go :)

*follow your eating plan

*eat your Protein

*take your Vitamins

*drink your Water

*go low carb

*low to no sugar

*exercise

*as you lose weight & get into better shape - keep revamping your exercise, don't sweat it if you don't lose every day or every week - it's gonna come off so don't dwell on it

(try not to anyways)

*Celebrate weight loss with non-food things

*if you do go out to eat at a restaurant - don't get too anxious; you're gonna have healthier options but even if you do choose unhealthy you're only going to have a small portion so it's not gonna hurt your progress (just don't make it an everyday habit)

*stay away from your trigger food(s) - they can get you into trouble... mine is popcorn. (Or aka crackcorn)

*enjoy the compliments - don't turn around with a negative comment like "yeah but I have loose skin or I still have X amount of weight to lose"

*just smile and say thank you - you know you deserved that compliment and know how hard you worked to get to where you are...

*don't let anyone get you down with saying shitty things like "I knew of someone that lost all the weight only to gain it back" --- you are not that person they are referring to.

*really push yourself with exercise (later on) - you won't die even though you may feel like you are.

See what you're made of!

*your incisions will be tender, red and sore. If they are oozing pus then get them checked out - otherwise they should be fine

*that left (or sometimes right) shoulder pain is the leftover gas/air they pumped up your stomach with from surgery - it'll go away

*that extra painful area (left quadrant) on your stomach is where most of the work was done. It will be sore longer. (Bypass patients anyways) - the pain will go away eventually

*do what your doctor says about eating, drinking, exercise, everything. Follow the rules!

***No food or drink will make you as happy as how that new dress or pair of jeans fit. ***

- or when you can fit in an airplane seat comfortably and not need a seat belt extension.

- or looking around a crowded room only to be mortified that you're the biggest one there

- or taking the elevator up one floor and being ashamed of it because you know what people are thinking

*Don't think you have to have a certwin food because you'll never have it again; it will always be there. It's not going anywhere. You're just choosing to not have it now - you're in control. McDonald's will still be around 100 years from now, so don't fret.

*Breathe.

*You can do this.

It's easier than you think. You will have a tough time at first because everything is so new and you're most likely withdrawling from carbs, sugars, junk etc. But once that is out of your system - it does get easier, honest!

You'll crave more successful weight loss then you will carbs! You'll think to yourself "that *insert food of choice here* isn't worth it!"

*Weigh and track your food. It helps a lot. I use Myfitnesspal. And I have a fitbit. Friendly competition is motivating :)

*Take one day at a time, again, try not to obsess and have your weight loss consume your mind. There are other things to your life right now too.

*Every few weeks or month - go thru your closet and try on smaller clothes - this is a huge motivator! I forgot to do that so many times and totally bypassed clothes and then never even got to wear them. (Brand new clothes, dammit!)

Heather

Current weight 168.4

Loss of 105 lbs so far.

Thanks for posting this. This is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

You are very welcome.

I hope it helps someone :)

This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this.

*follow your eating plan

*eat your Protein

*take your Vitamins

*drink your Water

*go low carb

*low to no sugar

*exercise

(try not to anyways)

*celebrate weight loss with non-food things

See what you're made of!

*Breathe.

*You can do this.

Heather

Current weight 168.4

Loss of 105 lbs so far.

Bamsucka !!!!!!!!

You just delivered the goods right here, woman !!!!

Way to bring it........and way to live it.

The only possible thing I'll add to your list:

*Don't embrace stalls.........stay disciplined and bust through those bishes !!!!!

You are absolutely awesome......killer outlook and winning in life. Tremendous respect.

*follow your eating plan

*eat your Protein

*take your Vitamins

*drink your Water

*go low carb

*low to no sugar

*exercise

(try not to anyways)

*celebrate weight loss with non-food things

See what you're made of!

*Breathe.

*You can do this.

Heather

Current weight 168.4

Loss of 105 lbs so far.

Bamsucka !!!!!!!!

You just delivered the goods right here, woman !!!!

Way to bring it........and way to live it.

The only possible thing I'll add to your list:

*Don't embrace stalls.........stay disciplined and bust through those bishes !!!!!

You are absolutely awesome......killer outlook and winning in life. Tremendous respect.

Thank you my good friend ????

And I agree about the stalls.

Take them as they are. Your body is saying it needs a break from this whirlwind. It will adjust. But while it is - change it up. Eat something different. Eat more. eat less.

Change up the exercise. Try giving your body a mini break from exercise. (Maybe it's being pushed too hard too many days in a row - idk)

Awesome, AWESOME list!

As someone who is in maintenence mode, I would just add one more:

Once you get to your goal weight, the hard work shouldn't end. There will be different challenges. Never become complacent and always remember the basic "rules" of WLS and you'll have a great chance of keeping the weight off.

What kept me going through a very long stall on weight was I measured myself. I could see by the tale of the tape I was losing fat, but the muscle mass growth was keeping wieght steady. So be prepared to measure fat loss with clothing sizes and a milo tape measure.

Let me edit this by saying.@@heather5565 - damn good list.

@@heather5565 - What a great post! I sent the link to someone who had PM'd me that is a newbie. I know this is going to help a LOT of people! Thank you for taking the time to do it.

@@Babbs - Thanks for weighing in. I am entering maintenance and trying to sort it out so I appreciate the reminder!

Awesome, AWESOME list!

As someone who is in maintenence mode, I would just add one more:

Once you get to your goal weight, the hard work shouldn't end. There will be different challenges. Never become complacent and always remember the basic "rules" of WLS and you'll have a great chance of keeping the weight off.

That's great advice Babbs!

I will look back on this when I hit that part of this journey :)

What kept me going through a very long stall on weight was I measured myself. I could see by the tale of the tape I was losing fat, but the muscle mass growth was keeping wieght steady. So be prepared to measure fat loss with clothing sizes and a milo tape measure.

Let me edit this by saying.@@heather5565 - damn good list.

I'm happy to hear from you OKCPirate! You've been one of the posters that I always enjoy reading what you have to say

Thanks for that!

@@Daisee68 and @@username Taken

You are very welcome and I do hope it helps people

I counted on this site a lot when I first started out and it helped me trendously - I'm just paying it forward.

And again - if there's anything people want to add please please do and thank you to the people who have already!

Edited by heather5565

@@heather5565

When does your book come out? I want a copy!!

Seriously, I've looked and there aren't a lot of options for guidance. Your attitude and delivery are awesome. Get typing girl!

Oh and thank you... This list was a gift to a newbie like myself. The other veterans adding to is was icing on the cake.

Oooooooo cake.......

;)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@jaxmom LOL!! cake....