Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Basic questions - Newbie

Hello all! My name is Breanna. I'm really excited to see where this journey takes me and have absolutely loooved reading everyone's posts so far, which is why I thought I would introduce myself and create a post as well. My starting weight in January 2016 was my highest at 352. Now it's may 6th and I am down to 332. My goal weight is no less than 140 but no higher than 165.

First let me start with, I just started the process April 29th with my first initial free consultation at True Results in Irving Texas and had my first weight check yesterday.

So my health insurance requirements are:

*1, 30, 60 and 90 day weight check appointments

*An at home sleep apnea test

*2- 45 minute nutritional appointments

*1-2 hour psych evaluation

*Blood work, Ekg, Egd

(I am hoping to have the surgery late September of this year.)

I have a few questions i thought would be fun to ask and see everyones response...If you would like to play along, that would be great, if not, no worries and hello! I will answer mine below as well.

1. what is your biggest fear with the surgery and why?

*my biggest fear right now is tied between two things - Hair loss and Saggy skin. I don't have a lot of hair as it is and it's really thin so hair loss wouldn't make me feel all that great,physically. However, I am going to do my best to take as many Vitamins as I can and as much Protein as I can handle to try to prevent that. The saggy skin is going to happy regardless since I'm so big but maybe with a lot of weight training and some really tight gertles(sp?)I can prevent that.

2. Who has been your biggest supporter for your surgery so far? And how has that impacted your decision?

*my biggest supporter is my husband. He has been so active in this process it's crazy. He's been helping build my confidence in the process we are going down. He has been researching like crazy as have i. He is the reason I know this surgery will be a very vital tool for my weight loss.

3. What is your goal weight and why?

* my goal weight in pounds is 140-165. My main goal is focusing on size. I would prefer to not be smaller than a size 10 but I will not go bigger than a size 16. Before my babies (11 years ago) I was 190 lbs and a unhealthy/unfit size 16. It looked amazing on me with my body shape and I loved it. Now I just want to be a happier and healthier me.

4. What was the one thing that made you be for sure about the surgery?

*the one thing that made me say yes was when the fire alarms went off at work and I struggled to get down the 5 floors. That day I knew I couldn't stay this way anymore. It had to change.

5. What is one thing you are giving up that you will truly miss having?

*my favorite food is Dominos thin crust pepperoni, black olive and bacon pizza but I'm giving it up. It has no nutritional benefits for my goals and it's not worth back traveling for.

6. If you have had the surgery or are getting ready for it... what is one piece of advise you have for those that are just starting their journey?

Hope you all enjoyed my post... can't wait to see what you all put and have to say. HAPPY FRIDAY Y'ALL... let's do this!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Hi Breanna, I hope you won't mind me sharing some answers even though I'm much earlier in the process than you (pre-op research phase).

1. what is your biggest fear with the surgery and why?
Besides surgical complications (i.e., stricture, adhesions, internal scarring, having to redo the surgery for some reason), my biggest fear is not correctly handling my vitamin/nutrient needs at any time post-surgery. I've watched YouTube videos of people many years out from surgery who either lapsed in taking their Vitamins and suffered ill effects or one who "overdosed" on B6 (found in Protein, B complex Vitamins, energy drinks) and got sick as B6 is not a routine lab test even for bariatric patients. Of course I plan to be complicit with the Vitamin recommendations of my NUT, but in the past I've put my medical needs second or third to work and mental health issues, so I'm weighing the possibility of that happening again if I get WLS and thinking of how to make sure I prioritize my physical health.

2. Who has been your biggest supporter for your surgery so far? And how has that impacted your decision?
My mom, whether she realizes it or not. She's not 100% in favor of the surgery, but she knows I'm an adult, has my best interests at heart, and listens to me.

I'll probably take my doctor's lead on this one, as a major motivating factor for my surgery is comorbidities. I think the remission of my sleep apnea will be the deciding factor. Honestly, I've never been in 100s as an adult (I'm 5'5") so I don't have a weight I'm able to envision. It'd be nice to be in straight sizes for clothes, but I make do at my current size and am sure I'd do fine as a 16, 14, or 12, as well.

Being diagnosed/experiencing four to five major comorbidities (including diabetes type 2 and most recently sleep apnea) has made me realize I am scared to go on the way I am. I'm not 100% for sure on the WLS yet, but am seriously considering it.

As I understand it, unless something causes severe dumping there's no need to avoid it totally (with the exception of carbonated beverages, alcohol, depending on your body). I guess the hardest thing will be cutting back on sedentary activities I enjoy (computer, reading) in order to move more.

6. If you have had the surgery or are getting ready for it... what is one piece of advice you have for those that are just starting their journey?

Listen to a VARIETY of voices from people who have been there. YouTube is a great place to hear from others, both positive and negative. People here and on YouTube recommended The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, 2nd Ed. by Cynthia Alexander which I'm halfway through and feel good about recommending to others, too.

Hope this helps, Breanna. Best wishes as you continue to move forward.

Thank you Megtei for your responses.

1. I am going to make sure to follow my surgeons advice on Vitamins cause I know and have heard how important they are to your success.

2, My Mom has been okay with it. She really doesn't understand why I want the surgery but like your mom, she is supportive in a distant way. My mom and I have a different type of relationship than most mother/daughters do.

3. I am 5'4 and will take my surgeons advise on his recommendation but in the end I want to be where I am most happy. ha ha. Even if that is under a size 10. :)

4. I am really sorry to hear that you are struggling with multiple health issues and hope that you can find a long lasting solution to ease away. I love reading too, maybe you could get audio books and listen to them when you are walking instead... that's what I did when I would hit the treadmill, or I would bring my Nook with me and read while walking and listen to relaxing music (to drown out the sound of others in the gym).

5. I love your advise. YouTube has been a WONDERFUL asset to me and my research as well. The videos are so forth coming and honest that you cant help but watch more and more. I have NOT heard of that book, however, I have the "The BIG Book on the Gastric Sleeve: Everything You Need To Know To Lose Weight and Live Well with the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy". That book is AWESOME. I will definitely look into the book you listed above as I am sure it will have some vital information/tools in it as well.

Thank you again for responding Megtei. I wish you the best of luck going forward as well.

Hi there, I'm Rachel and I was sleeved 7 months ago. I've been on here since a few months preop. I started on surgery day at 319 and I'm at 208.4 today going from a 24/26 to a 16 so far. Hope my answers below are helpful to you.

1. what is your biggest fear with the surgery and

My biggest fear was losing hair and the saggy skin. I started taking all the required Vitamins a few months prior to surgery and I added in Biotein for hair and nails. I have also tried to keep up with a lot of lotion to try to aid in the saggy skin. While I have had some shedding of hair it has not been bad because I have tons of new growth all the time from the Biotein. I do have some saggy skin but not as bad as some I've seen.

Probably my oldest daughter. She has been cheering me on every step of the way and never tires of hearing me be amazed at the changes in my body and life.

My goal is to be about 140-150. That is the normal healthy weight for my age and height. My surgeons goal for me is 170.

I needed to get myself in check with my weight before any health issues started. I have many in my family that died young of obesity related health issues and I didn't want that for me.

At this point I don't really miss anything. I have always been a meat and potato girl and for me I still will let myself have just a bite of something I want once a week or so because it keeps me from letting that desire get too bad. But I do limit it to literally a bite and even that still fits within my nutritional goals for the day.

6. If you have had the surgery or are getting ready for it... what is one piece of advise you have for those that are just starting their journey?

I was sleeved 7 months ago and I'd say be sure you don't compare your losses or anything else to anyone else here or in person. Everyone's journey is going to be different and so listen to your doctors and nutritionist for what they want you to do.

reree6898 - Thank you so much for answering the questions too.

1. I will definitely stock up on those Vitamins. I heard about the Biotin but i wasn't sure how well it actually worked. Is there a certain brand that you found worked better? Did you order the Vitamins from a GNC or through like Bariatric Advantage? I am prepared for the saggy skin cause I know it will take time to bounce back. I am planning on putting coconut oil on my skin after showers and wearing compression garments (once everything is healed of course).

2. Aww. That's so great that your daughter has been so supportive. My children are still young (10,7, &3)... My oldest is really excited. I think that is something that is driving my mind set as well. Knowing that my children are looking forward to playing with their mom, especially since they are both really big into baseball.

3. You have had AMAZING success with your surgery. Thank you so much for sharing your starting weight and current weights. It gives me more hope than I have already.

4. My husband is really on board with the surgery and changes because he (and I) are afraid if we don't get it under control now, it will be too late or worse will come from waiting. All the men in my family have had massive heart attacks at young ages (my grandfather died at the age of 49) and some of the women suffer from cancer or pre-cancerous cells.

5. Yeah. I agree that I won't keep pizza out forever, BUT I will keep it out of my food logs until I know that I have everything under control and can control myself with it.

6. I will always ask my surgeon and nutritionist before anyone. I don't expect my journey to be the same, nor close to anybody else's journey, but hearing some advice and asking questions about other's experiences definitely helps me wrap my head around the worst that could happen and possible solutions I could try if certain situations arise after surgery.

I am so very happy for all your success and wish you the best of luck as you continue your journey.

Hi my name is Brandi and I'm new to this I started march 28,2016 and I was weighting at 315lbs and today I weight at 304 lbs and I'm having the sleve done some time in June.

Sent from my VS425PP using the BariatricPal App

BNShelley it's very nice to meet you. Congrats on the early surgery date and way to go on the weight loss already!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

reree6898 - Thank you so much for answering the questions too.

1. I will definitely stock up on those Vitamins. I heard about the Biotin but i wasn't sure how well it actually worked. Is there a certain brand that you found worked better? Did you order the Vitamins from a GNC or through like Bariatric Advantage? I am prepared for the saggy skin cause I know it will take time to bounce back. I am planning on putting coconut oil on my skin after showers and wearing compression garments (once everything is healed of course).

2. Aww. That's so great that your daughter has been so supportive. My children are still young (10,7, &3)... My oldest is really excited. I think that is something that is driving my mind set as well. Knowing that my children are looking forward to playing with their mom, especially since they are both really big into baseball.

3. You have had AMAZING success with your surgery. Thank you so much for sharing your starting weight and current weights. It gives me more hope than I have already.

4. My husband is really on board with the surgery and changes because he (and I) are afraid if we don't get it under control now, it will be too late or worse will come from waiting. All the men in my family have had massive heart attacks at young ages (my grandfather died at the age of 49) and some of the women suffer from cancer or pre-cancerous cells.

5. Yeah. I agree that I won't keep pizza out forever, BUT I will keep it out of my food logs until I know that I have everything under control and can control myself with it.

6. I will always ask my surgeon and nutritionist before anyone. I don't expect my journey to be the same, nor close to anybody else's journey, but hearing some advice and asking questions about other's experiences definitely helps me wrap my head around the worst that could happen and possible solutions I could try if certain situations arise after surgery.

I am so very happy for all your success and wish you the best of luck as you continue your journey.

i

I just get the Biotin from Walgreens, it's natures valley or something like that, they are just a few dollars for a few hundred tiny little gel pills. Good luck in your journey!