Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Introduction: In the Research phase

Hi WLS-forum world,

I'm a 33-year-old female in NYC who's a little nervous about de-lurking because it's another step towards admitting I'm thinking of this WLS thing seriously. Blasting Halsey's Badlands, that helps a bit.

I'm 5'5" and 281 lbs. currently (my highest ever was 300+lbs., when my depression was untreated). I have several comorbidities: diabetes for four years (3 medications, including insulin now), high cholesterol for 1.5 years (1 medication), recent slight incontinence, and was just diagnosed with sleep apnea (had preliminary appointment, going to the sleep lab in a month to see about severity). I also have major depression, recurrent that's been well-managed for a year on 2 medications (+1 PRN) and therapy.

Both a resident at my primary doctor and my sleep apnea doc recommend WLS to me in the past two months.

The new sleep apnea diagnosis has me feeling like I have one foot in the grave. I'm particularly worried about my poorly managed diabetes; I'm an artist and a New Yorker, and the thought of losing my eyesight, hand coordination, and mobility really scares me.

The sleep apnea doctor was the most insistent about weight loss, with or without surgery, and said I had a window right now in my 30s to do something with doctors' help that may not be possible once I'm in my 50s and the co-morbidities are worse.

I've lost weight (60-75 lbs at a time) before though have never been in the 100s as an adult and never gotten to maintenance. I tend to overeat out of boredom/stress, and tend towards having a sweet tooth. Therapy and mindfulness practice have helped me see what I'm using the food for and taken a lot of the "joy" out of overeating. It just feels like a bad habit now, and one I want to replace with something better, and healthier.

Right now I've requested books on WLS from the local library in addition to having bought and read WLS For Dummies (I also read Jen Larsen's Stranger Here, just for fun, though it is more of a What Not to Do memoir). I am also planning on buying the Emotional First Aid for Bariatric Surgery as soon as I can remember/reset my Amazon password.

I mentioned the WLS recommendations to my psychiatrist and therapist; the doctor emphasized the life-changing aspect of the surgery as well as the need for Vitamins and supplements for the rest of my life. My therapist was concerned about me being ready for such a big change with my body (I have a background with trauma at age 19) and I didn't bring it up again as I hadn't done research at that time and wasn't thinking about it as seriously.

I know I'll need a psych clearance if I decide to do the surgery. I figure besides reading up on the surgery as much as I can and lurking/participating here, the best thing I can do is try to manage my weight and diabetes as best I can as these are positive steps I can do whether or not I ultimately get WLS. I'll also tell my therapist I've been thinking more seriously about WLS and get her input on that and depending on how that goes, contact my primary and see about setting up a preliminary consult with a WLS in NYC.

Thanks for reading and/or skimming this psuedo-Livejournal post! I'm thankful to have a place to share all this. I'm going to keep reading pinned posts and do searches for questions I have, but any tips or reading recc's you have for me will be welcome.

Below, me at my highest weight as a happy bridesmaid, and a current pic.

post-291411-0-34612400-1462396712_thumb.jpg

post-291411-0-38296800-1462397157_thumb.png

WLS is life changing - but aren't we at a place that we either change our lives or die young from obesity related disease. Also - yes you need to take Vitamins for the rest of your life but that's better than taking diabetes meds, etc and not really living a quality life.

You sound as though you are more prepared than others! Good luck in your journey!

BTW - I wish I had WLS at your age.

@@KristenLe Thank you, Kristen! I'm trying my best to be an informed "consumer" and am a research/book nerd anyways, and therapy has shown me how important it is to have your head in the right place and not underestimate the impact everyday thoughts and beliefs/attitudes have on our day-to-day decisions and quality of life.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far and good luck on your continued journey, too!

Welcome!

It sounds like you are well on your way to being successful. Learning as much as you can will pay huge dividends.

It sounds like you have a great support team. Addressing this in your 30s is a smart move.

@@Inner Surfer Girl Thank you, I spent my 20s and early 30s learning how important it is to ask help and have a support team. I'm lucky to live in NYC with my mom as well, so there are a lot of people I can ask for input. I'll try to keep doing that as I go along.

By the way, I have enjoyed reading your posts, including the essay on being fat on Medium today. So thank you for your contributions while I was lurking, too.

I'm happy that you are visiting your doctors and "hungry" for knowledge! Wishing you the best of luck

bmi.png?ts=1462327411

I had RNY surgery 3 years ago. This article describes my experience. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

@@James Marusek Thanks, James! I actually just finished reading your article from where you posted it on another thread. It was very helpful and a pleasant read (I loved the part about the apple tree). The recipes look helpful too, maybe I will try a few to see what they're like pre-surgery. Though I did read your tastes can change a lot post-surgery. Thanks for sharing your story!

@@James Marusek Thanks, James! I actually just finished reading your article from where you posted it on another thread. It was very helpful and a pleasant read (I loved the part about the apple tree). The recipes look helpful too, maybe I will try a few to see what they're like pre-surgery. Though I did read your tastes can change a lot post-surgery. Thanks for sharing your story!

You're welcome.

This forum has been invaluable to me in my research. I joined somewhat on the fence about what to do, and am now very firmly happy with my decision to move forward with the sleeve. I also devoured every youtube video and blog post I could find from folks who have experienced WLS.

I hope that you end up happy with whatever decision you make!

@@becomingmandikaye I'm on my way to YouTube to check out some vids, that's a great idea. I've found a WLS blog here but will keep an eye open for more. Thanks and Congratulations on your decision and best wishes as you move forward! Congrats on the weight you've already lost, too!

Hi WLS-forum world,

I'm a 33-year-old female in NYC who's a little nervous about de-lurking because it's another step towards admitting I'm thinking of this WLS thing seriously. Blasting Halsey's Badlands, that helps a bit.

I'm 5'5" and 281 lbs. currently (my highest ever was 300+lbs., when my depression was untreated). I have several comorbidities: diabetes for four years (3 medications, including insulin now), high cholesterol for 1.5 years (1 medication), recent slight incontinence, and was just diagnosed with sleep apnea (had preliminary appointment, going to the sleep lab in a month to see about severity). I also have major depression, recurrent that's been well-managed for a year on 2 medications (+1 PRN) and therapy.

Both a resident at my primary doctor and my sleep apnea doc recommend WLS to me in the past two months.

The new sleep apnea diagnosis has me feeling like I have one foot in the grave. I'm particularly worried about my poorly managed diabetes; I'm an artist and a New Yorker, and the thought of losing my eyesight, hand coordination, and mobility really scares me.

The sleep apnea doctor was the most insistent about weight loss, with or without surgery, and said I had a window right now in my 30s to do something with doctors' help that may not be possible once I'm in my 50s and the co-morbidities are worse.

I've lost weight (60-75 lbs at a time) before though have never been in the 100s as an adult and never gotten to maintenance. I tend to overeat out of boredom/stress, and tend towards having a sweet tooth. Therapy and mindfulness practice have helped me see what I'm using the food for and taken a lot of the "joy" out of overeating. It just feels like a bad habit now, and one I want to replace with something better, and healthier.

Right now I've requested books on WLS from the local library in addition to having bought and read WLS For Dummies (I also read Jen Larsen's Stranger Here, just for fun, though it is more of a What Not to Do memoir). I am also planning on buying the Emotional First Aid for Bariatric Surgery as soon as I can remember/reset my Amazon password.

I mentioned the WLS recommendations to my psychiatrist and therapist; the doctor emphasized the life-changing aspect of the surgery as well as the need for Vitamins and supplements for the rest of my life. My therapist was concerned about me being ready for such a big change with my body (I have a background with trauma at age 19) and I didn't bring it up again as I hadn't done research at that time and wasn't thinking about it as seriously.

I know I'll need a psych clearance if I decide to do the surgery. I figure besides reading up on the surgery as much as I can and lurking/participating here, the best thing I can do is try to manage my weight and diabetes as best I can as these are positive steps I can do whether or not I ultimately get WLS. I'll also tell my therapist I've been thinking more seriously about WLS and get her input on that and depending on how that goes, contact my primary and see about setting up a preliminary consult with a WLS in NYC.

Thanks for reading and/or skimming this psuedo-Livejournal post! I'm thankful to have a place to share all this. I'm going to keep reading pinned posts and do searches for questions I have, but any tips or reading recc's you have for me will be welcome.

Below, me at my highest weight as a happy bridesmaid, and a current pic.

attachicon.gifWW Before 285+.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-05-04 at 5.23.22 PM.png

Welcome. I am also from NYC, so if you need some specific info on doctors/therapists/surgeons, etc. feel free to PM me. I was banded in January of 2013 at NYU and have been in maintenance for about two years now. I also had major co-morbidities but most of them have resolved between the weight loss and joint replacement.

You of all people can understand how challenging it is to be immobile in Manhattan, which is a walking city for sure. I don't know about you, but I used to stroll all over the city and by the time I lost enough weight for hip replacement, I could barely walk a single block. These days, I am again walking all over the city and loving getting my health, and my life back.