Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea after WLS.

I was recently diagnosed with sleep Apnea. I'm headed into my third month of my 6 diet. My question is does sleep apnea ever get "cured" after losing a lot of weight after surgery?

Oh yeah...

I used to have it baaaaaadddd...

Now I just snore a bit and don't die repeatedly in my sleep and stuff...

It's kinda cool...

Mine wasn't diagnosed, but I definitely had it and don't now. I snored so loud my family could hear me downstairs with the doors closed, and I would wake up choking and with a pounding head most mornings. Since surgery though, I don't snore anymore. Even my husband can't believe how quiet I am now. I don't wake up choking anymore either. I really used to go to sleep each night afraid my kids would find me dead in my bed in the morning. So there is definitely hope that you can be "cured" after surgery. It probably won't be as fast as the day/week you go home, but a few months out, you might be!

Thanks y'all! sleep Apnea scares the crap out of me. Especially now I know I have it. I kinda figured I did have it because I too would wake up with pounding headaches and on an occasion I would wake up with a choking feel that turned into a cough.

Edited by RNY-Gal

Prior to surgery, I snored so loud that it kept my wife awake all night long. She is a light sleeper. After surgery, I would wake up in the middle of the night and sometimes find my wife hovering over me. I was sleeping so quietly, she thought I died. And she was trying to see if I was still breathing.

I had sleep apnea and used a Cpap machine. I had my RNY on 10/12/15 2 months later no machine and no snoring at all (according to my husband). I'd also like to add no more high blood pressure meds either ????

Happiness is losing weight.

I had sleep apnea and was on bipap. I have not needed my machine for over a year now. Recently however they put me on heavy duty pain meds (fentanyl patch). This med is scary because it definitely affects your breathing. I have been on it for 6 weeks and I recently asked for a different plan as this drug is effecting me in a negative way. Anyway, I hauled out my bipap machine and have been using it while on this medication.

I cannot simply stop it because I am on a high dose and will go through severe withdrawals so they put me on a cocktail of antidepressants for pain control and it will take about 6 weeks for that to start working. So they have me taking this high dose for a month of fentanyl and then we will ween me down slowly.

It is not a drug I would allow them to put me on in the future. I have the strangest dreams that reoccur and continue. Also my memory is shot. Things that happen for real, I mistake for dreams and dreams become real. It is very friggin scary stuff.

I no longer have sleep apnea :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using the BariatricPal App