Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having some trouble...

I had my final visit with my surgeon today pre op and I learned that I may be doing things wrong (figures). I asked the assistant if Isopure counted toward my Water intake because drinking it throughout the day (1 bottle) made me feel less thirsty. She said that it does NOT count toward Water intake because the Protein makes you pee and that I need to cut the bottle in half and use it as a Meal Replacement (1/2 for Breakfast and 1/2 for dinner or whatever). So I'm attempting that today. I had 1/2 for Breakfast and I still have 1/2 in the fridge. However, drinking so much of it "as a meal" is just tough for me so I still end up drinking it basically all morning. I hope this counts as a meal? It has helped me increase my water intake but I'm having trouble with the "meal" part of it. There is 40g of Protein per bottle of Isopure so if I drink half as a replacement for a meal then that is 20g of protein. Even if I do both halves to take up 2 of my meals I only get 40g. My daily goal is 70-80g so does that mean I need to eat a whopping 30g of protein for the 3rd meal or am I just needing to "snack" on protein more? I've been mixing protein into my Soup and broth but even so, I've only ended up with 48g of protein today. Here is what my day looked like:

Breakfast:

1/2 bottle Isopure - 20g

Snack:

sugar free pudding - 1g

Lunch:

chicken broth with 1 scoop of protein - 12g (2g +10g)

Dinner:

1 can Campbell's 98% fat free Cream of chicken Soup (pureed) with 1 scoop of protein - 15g (5g + 10g)

I will probably have another snack sometime tonight and I suppose I better mix Protein powder into whatever it is but do you guys have any suggestions?

I don't drink Isopure. I think it tastes nasty. I use Protein shakes to get my require Protein in. I do 2 shakes a day, Breakfast and lunch, and then eat a normal meal for dinner. Occasional snack every now and then but nothing habitual.

As far as I'm concerned any liquid ingested counts toward your Water goal. If you eat Soups or broth you can also count that as well.

I think you're doing fine.

​I agree with @@VSGAnn2014, you are doing fine. My bariatric team told me that Isopure counted towards my Water intake, before and after surgery. Shows how different each clinic is with their guidelines. Your daily intake is very similar to what mine looked like pre and immediate post op. Hang in there, good luck with your surgery in May...keep us posted!

I think you're doing fine.

Is it ok to not meet the Protein goal each day? Cuz this seems nearly impossible. I'm struggling to get Protein wherever I can get it or put some into my meal wherever possible and I'm still coming up short it seems. Maybe if I have some more bowls of broth throughout the day with protein in them I could do it but how do you guys that are years out and eating regular food get all of your protein in for the day? 70g? REALLY?! I gotta give you guys kudos cuz this is way harder than I thought. I was totally counting on being able to have Isopure to make up for whatever protein I needed extra but NOPE. She said I need to split it into 1/2 and not drink it throughout the day.

I don't drink Isopure. I think it tastes nasty. I use Protein shakes to get my require protein in. I do 2 shakes a day, breakfast and lunch, and then eat a normal meal for dinner. Occasional snack every now and then but nothing habitual.

As far as I'm concerned any liquid ingested counts toward your Water goal. If you eat Soups or broth you can also count that as well.

For me it's the opposite, I think the shakes are nasty. Some days I can tolerate them but most days I can only do a few sips before it starts to make me feel ill. Almost like extremely thick chocolate milk with something weird tasting in them lol. For the Water, I thought it would count toward my goal too but I asked just to be sure and the answer was a bit of a surprise!

I could never have made my Protein target without Protein shakes. I was one who couldn't handle Isopure -- but that's neither here nor there (we just like what we like and don't like what we don't like).

Frankly, I think your NUT is being a rigid hard-ass. All that's important is that you get your protein in (or most of it) and get your liquids in (or most of them) -- however you can do it.

Soon enough you'll graduate to a different stage. Soon enough you can drink more and faster than you are now. Soon enough you won't be slowed down by an extremely swollen new sleeve (it'll be healing soon) and a swollen esophagus (from surgery).

Honestly, I do think you are (and were) doing just fine.

I could never have made my Protein target without Protein shakes. I was one who couldn't handle Isopure -- but that's neither here nor there (we just like what we like and don't like what we don't like).

Frankly, I think your NUT is being a rigid hard-ass. All that's important is that you get your protein in (or most of it) and get your liquids in (or most of them) -- however you can do it.

Soon enough you'll graduate to a different stage. Soon enough you can drink more and faster than you are now. Soon enough you won't be slowed down by an extremely swollen new sleeve (it'll be healing soon) and a swollen esophagus (from surgery).

I guess I should have clarified, this is my pre-op diet. I have not had the surgery just yet. Scheduled for the 4th of May. If I'm not able to do it now, does that mean I'm REALLY going to have issues later?!

I guess I should have clarified, this is my pre-op diet. I have not had the surgery just yet. Scheduled for the 4th of May. If I'm not able to do it now, does that mean I'm REALLY going to have issues later?!
I don't understand why they have you doing this pre-op. I agree -/your NUT sounds like a hardass!

Is it not normal for them to give you goals during the pre-op diet? My goals say 70-80g of Protein per day and less than 40g of carbs. Also, I have to get in 64 oz of Water but nothing with red or blue dye and and 1-2 Protein Drinks per day but then I was told that a full bottle of Isopure counts as 2 servings for me. I guess it could be worse considering some of the other pre-op diets I've seen reading these forums lol. Still, it's a lot to juggle and figure out when you aren't used to it. I am trying my best to do everything the surgeon/nutritionist asks of me but I've had several confusing moments already and I'm only 3 days in to my pre op diet. I'm starting to wonder how successful I will be post-op if I'm having this many issues now.

I was told 4 Protein Shakes a day, with broth, Jello and non starchy raw veggies in between. Fourth one was hard to get in but keep plodding on. Any liquid- tea, Water, etc counts to your water intake. However I never counted my Protein shakes towards it. Yours may be different.

And post op is totally different!

1) you won't be as hungry

2) your shakes and Protein requirements the first few days are decreased as you're just healing

3) you will slowly, slowly convert using shakes as your main source of Protein to the added extra to meet your goals as your foods will be doing the job

4). Did I mention you won't be anywhere near as hungry?

I literally have begun setting my phone alarm to remind me to eat. Drinking isn't nor has it ever been an issue post op for me. Just remembering to eat meals is. What a problem!

Ignore your NUT, is what I would do. You haven't had the surgery yet and should not have any stipulations on liquids and Proteins at this point.

But how could you not get enough liquids on an all liquid diet? Or are you not doing a pre-op diet?

Whether you are pre-op or post-op, we ALL need enough fluids and Protein

If you are on pre-op, why are you having trouble getting enough fluids and Protein? Is there some reason you cannot drink normally?

This is very interesting. I wonder if pre surgery I was Protein deficient. Even during periods of pre op life when I logged, the focus was only on calories. I had never given Protein intake a second thought. Probably didn't help my already out of control appetite.

As a vegetarian, meeting protein goals post op has been like a full time job. I have learned a whole new way of meal prep and can make some awesome mock meat now.

One of the million advantages of losing weight is that my minimum protein goal has dropped to 45g per day, so much more manageable and most days I easily exceed that.

I met with my NUT for the pre-op visit, and it is always amazing to me to see how different the guidelines are from different offices and such. I am only going to be doing the modified liquid for 2 weeks prior to surgery, until then they want me on a 1500 cal exchange type program with a Protein goal of over 100 g.

I asked about the carb thing because I'd seen so many militant about low carb here, and I get ill if I drop my carbs too low. She says she likes to see 80-100 g of carbs, below 50 g you go into ketosis, and she doesn't think that's a good idea. Where others severely limit carbs and are trying to get into ketosis. :)