Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve on the 21st. Surgery went very well but I had a lot of issues with nausea and dry heaving which made my pain so much worse. The anti-nausea meds the hospital were giving me didn't help, the only thing that helped was a strong pain medicine which would put me to sleep. Therefore I was not able to get up as much as I would have liked while in the hospital. I came home today (as scheduled) but the gas pains are so bad especially in my upper back and shoulder area! I am walking, taking those gas-x strips, and have a heating pad on. I know it is a matter of time for it to break up. Are there any tips/tricks that you have used to help with the gas? Thanks!

---Kim

Sent from my LG-D851 using the BariatricPal App

Omg im so happy, well im sorry....but so happy some1 else understands what ive been going through...I had surgery on the 14th and same thing, woke up in recovery very nauseous and in pain, crying and dry heaving...Instead of morphine they gave me dilated (not sure i spelt that right) and it knocked me out, everytime i could have it they gave it to me because i was miserable and in pain...So in return i wanst walking and the gas built up, ive continued to be in pain in my chest, back, shoulders and of course stomach and along with my 7 incisions...Unfortunately for me nothing helped but time...9 days now and i still am blowded and have the pains just not as intense....i asked for more pain meds and they said no because it will not help with the gas...its really been the worst part of it all...i had 3 c-sections so i expected this to be a walk in the breeze, boy i sure was wrong...smh...i wish there were something i could tell u to do but i cant, only time....

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I am sorry you are miserable. That gas pain is really the worst. You are doing everything you can for it - walking, sipping, gas-x, heating pad. Keep using your pain med and those other things. How much Gas-X are you using? If it is the strips, you will need more than 1 to get any effect. Meanwhile, it is just time and I know that is not what you wanted to hear. You just have to bear it the first few days and by day 5, everything should ease up....

Omg im so happy, well im sorry....but so happy some1 else understands what ive been going through...I had surgery on the 14th and same thing, woke up in recovery very nauseous and in pain, crying and dry heaving...Instead of morphine they gave me dilated (not sure i spelt that right) and it knocked me out, everytime i could have it they gave it to me because i was miserable and in pain...So in return i wanst walking and the gas built up, ive continued to be in pain in my chest, back, shoulders and of course stomach and along with my 7 incisions...Unfortunately for me nothing helped but time...9 days now and i still am blowded and have the pains just not as intense....i asked for more pain meds and they said no because it will not help with the gas...its really been the worst part of it all...i had 3 c-sections so i expected this to be a walk in the breeze, boy i sure was wrong...smh...i wish there were something i could tell u to do but i cant, only time....

Ugh! Sorry to hear your troubles as well! My roommate in the hospital had her procedure an hour before mine and she didn't have any nausea or heaving, so I thought I was doing something or something went wrong with my surgery. Like you said, as soon as I woke up I told the nurse I was going to be sick. I couldn't lay flat in the hospital bed as that would make me more nauseous so I had to sleep sitting straight up. The worst! I hope you start feeling better soon!! I keep reminding myself that it will all be worth it!

I am sorry you are miserable. That gas pain is really the worst. You are doing everything you can for it - walking, sipping, gas-x, heating pad. Keep using your pain med and those other things. How much Gas-X are you using? If it is the strips, you will need more than 1 to get any effect. Meanwhile, it is just time and I know that is not what you wanted to hear. You just have to bear it the first few days and by day 5, everything should ease up....

I just starting take the strips today and started off with taking two. I have been burping/hiccuping more so I know it is breaking up, but I wish it would break up faster. These little burp/hiccups hurt each and every time. I'm hoping this is the worst part of this whole thing.

@@Kimberlyv715 - it really is the worse part. I don't remember the amount of med in the strips, but you can take more than 2. I think it is like 75 mg of simethecone per strip and the pills are dosage of 180 mg (sometimes more), so try 3 next time. Tomorrow will look better....

By the way, while I have no explanation for this, absolutely every surgery I have had, the 3rd day (today for you) is the worst day. I took my mom for colonscopy yesterday and I overheard a doctor telling a tonsillectomy patient the same thing and my dad's orthopedic surgeon also said the same. So, take heart, 3rd day is the worst. And certainly after day 5, things let up. Hang in there!!

I had gas pain so bad I couldn't breathe! The RN told me walking helps rid of it.. But I was in so much pain, I couldn't walk enough. I used heating pads, and learned that drinking diluted apple juice helps the gas pass freely! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

U might think it wont stop but it will give it time...i was told u can have 500 mg of the Simethicone (which is the strips) in a day, so thats 8 a day and i was taking that many woth still no releif but maybe if u increase them u will have more success..Keep ur head up it gets better in time...

@@Kimberlyv715 - it really is the worse part. I don't remember the amount of med in the strips, but you can take more than 2. I think it is like 75 mg of simethecone per strip and the pills are dosage of 180 mg (sometimes more), so try 3 next time. Tomorrow will look better....

By the way, while I have no explanation for this, absolutely every surgery I have had, the 3rd day (today for you) is the worst day. I took my mom for colonscopy yesterday and I overheard a doctor telling a tonsillectomy patient the same thing and my dad's orthopedic surgeon also said the same. So, take heart, 3rd day is the worst. And certainly after day 5, things let up. Hang in there!!

I will definitely try 3 next time around. Thank you!

I had gas pain so bad I couldn't breathe! The RN told me walking helps rid of it.. But I was in so much pain, I couldn't walk enough. I used heating pads, and learned that drinking diluted apple juice helps the gas pass freely!

I will try the apple juice. Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. Had my sleeve on the 13th and came home on the 16th. Had the worst upper back pain !!! Nothing helped for the first few days . Just walking a lot I think finally broke up the bubbles. And I know this sounds crazy but I literally had my husband burp me like a baby. It totally helped. Just have someone burp you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Same thing happened to me. Had my sleeve on the 13th and came home on the 16th. Had the worst upper back pain !!! Nothing helped for the first few days . Just walking a lot I think finally broke up the bubbles. And I know this sounds crazy but I literally had my husband burp me like a baby. It totally helped. Just have someone burp you!

I had my husband burp me too! It definitely helps break the gas up!