Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know you're doing enough?

I'm having a weird struggle and I'm hoping you guys can provide some perspective.

I'm about 5 months out and down 65 pounds. My surgeon said he wanted to see me lose 60 by 6 months, so I'm a little ahead. The loss has slowed down some, but not stopped.

I can eat more now than shortly after surgery, so that makes sense. I've stepped up my game at the gym to try to balance things out. I still struggle with Protein, but usually meet my 60 g goal.

My typical day is a shake for Breakfast, salad (spinach, chicken, and a little goat cheese, raisins and walnut) for lunch, and for dinner something like salmon, sweet potato and broccoli. Lots of Water all day. If I get too full with what I brought for lunch, I might eat 2/3 and eat the other 1/3 later in the day. Or sometimes I have cashews or some nut exactly balls as a snack or treat.

I just barely pushed past my "glass floor" which is the weight I couldn't seem to lose past when I tried many times before surgery.

So basically I'm just nervous I'm going to eff up and not lose all the weight. I have perfectionist tendencies and I've gone overboard into unhealthy territory before when it comes to losing weight.

How do you balance that? When do you know you're doing enough? Should I be worried it's not coming off as fast as before? Or is perfectionism and anxiety making me worry unnecessarily? Anyone else felt this way?

Are you following your plan 90% of the time?

Have you lost weight and are continuing lose weight at a fairly steady pace aside from some normal stalls every once in a while?

Are you trying to move your body more than you did before?

Are you making sure you're well hydrated at all times?

If you answered "yes" to these questions then congratulations, you're doing enough :)

If you need to obsess about something, then obsess about getting in your Protein and Fluid.

It sounds like you are doing fine, but personally, the fact that at five months out you are struggling to get in only 60 grams of Protein is a little concerning.

I agree with Inner Surfer Girl; 60 grams of Protein is low. I was told 80 grams ASAP and should be shooting for closer to 100 now that I'm exercising and moving so much. Protein is a Really Big Deal.

I adore eating salad, but if your lunch regularly consists of salad (and just a small garnish of protein) you might want to switch that around, so you're not filling up on leafy greens and eat more protein. The largest portion of every meal should be protein and the veggies should be secondary.

Are you following your plan 90% of the time?

Have you lost weight and are continuing lose weight at a fairly steady pace aside from some normal stalls every once in a while?

Are you trying to move your body more than you did before?

Are you making sure you're well hydrated at all times?

If you answered "yes" to these questions then congratulations, you're doing enough :)

Awesome answer !

Thank you guys for the advice! I can answer yes to @@Babbs questions so I think I'm on the right track, but doubling down on Protein sounds like a good idea. I appreciate you guys pointing that out. I think I've been adding too much other stuff in, even veggies, to keep my diet "balanced." I bet more protein will keep me more satisfied and away from wanting Snacks. Those of you rocking the protein, are you pretty much eating meat all day? Like 4 oz at each of three meals?

@@gpmed

Worry more about 'balance' once you get closer to goal and maintenence. Protein is important for healing, (Yes, at 5 months you're still healing), building muscle that will be naturally lost during the weight loss process, and takes more work to digest, thus burning more calories.

You're doing just fine otherwise :)

Protein was always the center at each meal for me; egg for breakfast, Protein Shake, fish, turkey, Beans for lunch and dinner both with small amounts of veggie. I can't eat raw salad yet just doesn't go down well. If you want to lose more definitely increase your protein and watch the nuts(high in calories). I also have a snack usually yogurt or cottage cheese with berries.

The rule is 1 gram of Protein for every inch you are tall minimum everyday. Some people have to be careful going too high with Protein as it can cause your kidneys to work harder.

You don't need to double down but make it a rule to hit the minimum everyday and maybe a little more. You are doing great and it is normal that the weight loss slows a bit after those first initial months. As @@Babbs said, just stick closely to the plan and the weight will continue to come off.

Some people have to be careful going too high with Protein as it can cause your kidneys to work harder.

To expand on this point: as you increase your Protein make sure you are also increasing your Water. The more protein you intake the harder the kidneys work. Water eases some of the stress.

Thank you guys for the advice! I can answer yes to @@Babbs questions so I think I'm on the right track, but doubling down on Protein sounds like a good idea. I appreciate you guys pointing that out. I think I've been adding too much other stuff in, even veggies, to keep my diet "balanced." I bet more Protein will keep me more satisfied and away from wanting Snacks. Those of you rocking the protein, are you pretty much eating meat all day? Like 4 oz at each of three meals?

No, I don't eat meat all day but I do eat protein all day.

In addition to meat (mostly turkey, tuna, fish, and chicken), I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, Beans, and some nuts.

If you figure on 21 grams of Protein with each meal, and a morning, afternoon, and bedtime snack of 7 grams, that is 84 grams of Protein right there.

For example, this morning for Breakfast, I had a one egg ham and cheese omelet with a couple bits of green pepper. ...Boom...21 grams.

For a mid-morning snack, I could have 3 ounces of Greek Yogurt with a handful of blueberries.....9 grams of protein.

How about for lunch, let's have a scoop of tuna salad with 3 ounces of tuna - 21 grams of protein. I make two ounces of tuna with a chopped boiled egg...still 21 grams. I might have a sweet gherkin on the side if I have room.

Maybe an afternoon snack could be 1/2 a Protein shake made with 4 ounces of milk.....that is another 15 grams of protein.

dinner might be 3 ounces of chicken and a sprig of broccoli .....21 grams more.

Bedtime snack sometimes is once ounce of deli turkey rolled up with 1/2 ounce slice of provolone cheese.....finishing the day out with another 7 grams.

I keep sugar free Jello made up in case I get hungry during the night and want to eat my thumbs.

So, there you go. Just with this example, you have 89 grams of protein, 700 calories, and 23 carbs. That gives you room for additional veggies, fruit, dairy, condiments...whatever your plan allows.

Whenever the subject of "how much protene?" comes up, my antennae come up. When the desired daily range varies from post to post and some link the goal to height, we're treading bumpy ground. (The height-gram connection is apt for my 65".) My assigned goal is 60-100g daily, with 60 being a solid, not half-heartedly recommended, minimum. It's also my understanding that to exceed 120 or 140 (sorry, I don't recall which figure at the moment), may do worse than force the kidneys to work harder: They may cease to function.

Does it not make sense to stick with each of our surgical practice's guideline? I hope they all have RD's on staff.

You are all so wonderful to provide all this important advice to us. I hope each of you know how much we appreciate your time and attention.

@@gpmed, in general you're doing all the right things. Tweak what needs tweaking for health and good nutrition, but never tweak so far that you'll feel you're under punishment. You want to enjoy your progress, not feel enslaved to it.

Even if you were short of the 60 at 6 designated by your surgeon, it would be nothing to make yourself miserable about. Do the right thing and it comes out even in the end. We all lose at different rates. The main thing is to see loss.