Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mid-Twenties Sleevers - Continuing life with the sleeve

Hey all,

I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss any final doubts before my gastric sleeve procedure. Then I will make a surgery date.

But here is my dilemma...

I am 25 years old and the path I am on in life is a little complicated. So far, I have traveled to almost a dozen countries doing volunteer programs and teaching English as a way to build my future opportunities. I just love to travel and see the world. However I continuously feel held back because of my size and the judgement I give to myself and receive from others. I have dreams to do bigger things and to have a lifestyle I can enjoy, but I am afraid that this procedure will really hold me back from getting myself in a good place both professionally and financially because I am actively looking for a career job here in New York.

My question is--is the surgery worth it as I am on the job hunt, an active traveler, and someone who is just dreaming of moving out from her parents house? I am worried I will be stuck once I get the procedure. I will be out of commission for a while, I don't know how easy it would be to make a complete lifestyle change amidst other lifestyle changes. I know this is for LIFE and all together my quality of life will improve after time. Maybe I am just too worried about the present. What am I really scared of?

I could use some reassuring words from people. I want this procedure, I've done immense amounts of research, and I've been tremendously overweight for my entire life and I don't know anything else. Just some words of encouragement would be helpful.

Thanks,

Alexa

@@AlexaLasVSG

I am not mid 20s, I'm late 30s but when I was mid 20s I worked in NYC. I am going to tell you right now, being on either coast, being a normal size is important when looking for work. How you look matters a lot in society no matter what people tell you.

I live alone and from the 2nd day after surgery I was alone. I was driving on the 3rd day. I had a decent energy level by week 3 and I was basically at normal energy at 6 weeks. You are not out of commission as long as you think you will be.

If the sleeve was as widely available when I was in my 20s and as safe as it is now, I would have done it with no hesitation.

Once you lose weight so many new doors will open for you, that I doubt you will regret your decision.

I am in my early 50's and have been on disability after losing my last job due to state-mandated layoffs. Being obese is probably the number one career killer -- whether it is because of your real or perceived physical limitations and/or general prejudice against the obese.

If I had the opportunity to do this in my mid-to early twenties I couldn't even begin to imagine how many more opportunities would have been available to me.

What better time than now to have the surgery? If you put it off and wind up with a job that interferes with surgery then you won't be any better off than you are now and may be worse off.

Unless you have major complications, I can't imagine that you would be out of commission for more than a few weeks. You have family support.

For me, this would be a no-brainer.

Best of luck with your decision.

I am in my late 30s and also agree with the above comments that relate to your size and job seeking. Truth is its harder to find work when you are overweight. Society has made it so. Some may view you as lazy, while others might view you as a health risk to their insurance pool. For me personally, my confidence was impacted which also impacted my interviewing skills.

I think you need to sit down and decide if you are truly ready. You seem like you aren't looking for reasons that you should have it done and instead are looking at reasons of why you shouldn't have it done.

I was miserable for 2 weeks. 3 weeks I started to feel better. 5 weeks I was 100%. In the bigger picture, 5 weeks isn't going to stop any of your aspirations.

Good luck with your decision.

I had my surgery last June at age 28. I was morbidly obese but otherwise free of any other health issues. I was only "out of commission" for about 5 days. Surgery was on a Friday, out of the hospital Saturday, driving (so off pain meds for 24 hours) by Wednesday, back at work the following Monday. While people certainly can have a more difficult recovery, I don't think my case is unusual.

I think that having this surgery can only help the other aspects of your life, as well. As much as we want to think it isn't true, people do judge based on appearances, and that includes potential employers. And travel is much, much easier without carrying around all the extra weight.

Good luck with whatever path you choose, and feel free to message me if you have any other questions about my recovery, surgery process, etc.

Again I agree with all above. I am nearly 4 weeks post op. First two weeks were bad, third starting t feel better, now gettin back t drivin, eatin very small meals and swimming. In my mid fifties and I wish I,d done this years ago. My weight issues have affected my self esteem for many years. I wish I could have lost th weight through diet but unfortunately couldn't. I have bin overweight since my mid twenties following pregnancy. So if I was u then I would deff have th op, u will have th rest of your life with no weight issues brill xx