Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stick a fork in me

I'm done. I think I've come to the end of my journey.

So I haven't weighed myself since after Halloween. I had lost 13 lbs in 2 months. I got off my diet when I got really sick and was in the hospital for kidney failure. Was told not to drink Protein shakes because my kidneys can't handle the Protein right now. I couldn't really exercise, I was a mess.

I weighed in at 296 today.

I'm back at my starting weight from September.

My heart sank. My stomach feels like it's going to fall out of my butt.

It took more than 2 months to lose 13 measly pounds and I gained it all back in 3 weeks. I weighed in at the hospital and my doctor said the weight gain could be Fluid retention because I was all swollen. The swelling has gone down immensely and I'm still at a high weight. So I'm just a failure.

What's going to happen if during my 6 week Protein shake diet my kidneys fail again and I can't use Protein Shakes? My nephrologist said I will be ok to have surgery and if I have to I can probably push the diet a little sooner to foods but still.

I'm a wreck. I'm really scared.

I am so sorry to hear this. You aren't a failure, you have been ill.

Please make an appointment with your NUT and your surgeon to go over your health issues to come up with a plan to move forward. Do you really have a choice but to do everything you can to regain your health? Never give up!

You're not a failure. You just have to approach this a little differently than the typical sleeve patient. Work with your doctor's to come up with a modified diet that won't put your kidney's at risk. Perhaps stay at the minimum of 60 gms and go no higher, increased checks on your kidney's etc....

You've come this far, and you're still here. If your nephrologist is not saying you can't have the surgery, then you are still in the running.

Hang in there!

You will need to be on a higher Protein diet after surgery too. You should really talk everything over with your surgeon and Nephrologist if you have one. I specialize in kidneys and work for multiple Nephrologist in multiple dialysis clinics. You do NOT want to ruin your kidneys. No amount of weight loss is worth that. I promise!

I'm hoping that my surgeon is consulting with my nephrologist. I'd like to talk with them together but I doubt that's possible. My PCP just quit his practice so I don't feel like I have anyone truly on my side.

He was my doctor for almost 4 years. He was a great advocate.

I know there is a patient advocate for the Bariatric center but she NEVER calls me back or replies to my emails. I've had to call 3 times to see if they received my note from my psychiatrist back in October. Still don't have an answer. Called on 11/16 and 11/23 and still no response.

I feel alone.

I don't think there is anything wrong with requesting that you talk with both of them together. It just may take some scheduling effort.

The important thing for this is that you be patient, pro-active, persistent, and positive.

I'm hoping that my surgeon is consulting with my nephrologist. I'd like to talk with them together but I doubt that's possible. My PCP just quit his practice so I don't feel like I have anyone truly on my side.

I know there is a patient advocate for the Bariatric center but she NEVER calls me back or replies to my emails. I've had to call 3 times to see if they received my note from my psychiatrist back in October. Still don't have an answer. Called on 11/16 and 11/23 and still no response.

I feel alone.

Send a letter to both your surgeon and nephrologist requesting that they coordinate together. State that you want to make sure that all bases are covered for your care both pre and post op. Make them understand that you have concerns about how a post-op high Protein diet will be managed . Also make sure this is the bariatric program for you. If you are having issues with communication pre-op you may want to look at other programs. Your special needs will require close monitoring and good communication. Having trouble with communication pre-op is a bit of a red flag.

You don't HAVE to have Protein shakes after surgery. My surgeon discourages them. He says not to worry about Protein until you're at the regular food stage.

Perhaps your surgeon can modify his typical program for you.

I'm going to chime in here I didn't drink protien shakes after surgery I tried several kinds they all made me want to vomit I couldn't tolerate even the smell I was able to tolerate the Adkins ready made ones they tasted decent and didn't smell I also used GENEPRO unflavored protien powder to mix into Soups broth Hot Drinks etc but only for a few weeks then I stopped I started at 400 lbs on day of surgery February 24 this year lost 62 before that surgery I'm sleeved my protien levels are great I'm at 279 now still have a ways to go but I haven't had any issues getting enough protien

What's going to happen if during my 6 week Protein shake diet my kidneys fail again and I can't use Protein shakes? My nephrologist said I will be ok to have surgery and if I have to I can probably push the diet a little sooner to foods but still.

I'm a wreck. I'm really scared.

Of COURSE you're scared! Who wouldn't be? But you are not "a failure". The good news is, your nephrologist told you that surgery was still an option. That's GREAT news. I don't know what your other medical issues are, but I'm betting that over the long term, having your surgery and losing the weight will help your overall health immensely. It's entirely possible for your surgeon and your nephrologist to speak with you at the same time - use your phone and conference one of them in if they're willing.

Your RD or NUT can become your new best friend here. They know how to teach you how to balance your protein needs with protecting your kidneys - even if neither your surgeon or your nephrologist do.

Don't give up on yourself. if you aren't already in therapy, get yourself a good therapist. Have a look at how you can swap out the negative self-talk for self-talk that encourages and empowers you. It's possible. I promise.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I feel alone.

Since you had a relationship, ask the PCP to take a part or just talk with you despite his having left his practice. He may agree and, if not, you're no worse off. It feels so miserable without an ally of sorts when you have significant health concerns. Ask.

If the patient advocate really is there to coordinate patient cases, keep after her to coordinate the surgeon, nephrologist and, if he consents, the PCP. On the chance that you haven't, be specific in a message if she doesn't answer when you call again.

You're not done. There has to be a solution for now and later.

I have no updates but I'm feeling better about it all today.

Thanks guys.

Well then, I'm a failure, too. I lost 53lb this year. Then I put 27lb back on within a few months! But I am now back on track and I'm 12lb down from my regain point (7.5lb of that was lost during my pre-op diet, to date). I know that it sucks having to start again, but you lost the weight once, you can definitely do it again.

The doctors can sort out the other stuff - that's their job, and they'll find a way for it to work out. Don't worry about the Protein Shakes - some people don't even have a pre-op diet, which means the world's not going to end if you can't have the shakes specifically; there are alternatives.

Good luck. Let us know what their solution is, when they figure it out (because they will). :-)

I feel alone.

My advice working in healthcare if you re waiting that long for a reply, go straight to the office and ask to speak to someone. And try your hardest to find a new pcp, if the practice you were with has other docs they should be able to assign you to someone new. Just be the thorn in their side until they do. You are your best advocate!