Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever used Coconut Sugar? I have been looking for a crustless, high Protein pumpkin pie recipie and I've found a couple that contain coconut sugar. I don't really use sugar, so get them all mixed up as far as what we should be using - fructose, sucrose, glucose, etc.

I did a little bit of research and found that it is very equivilant in calories to regular sugar....

"However, coconut sugar is 70 to 79 percent sucrose and only three percent to nine percent each of fructose and glucose. This is an advantage, because you want to keep your consumption of fructose as low as possible, and cane sugar is 50 percent fructose. Coconut sugar is caramel colored with a taste that is similar to that of brown sugar and can be substituted for cane sugar in most recipes."

Any input/experience would be appreciated?

I just got the following from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose):

"Sucrose is often extracted and refined from either cane or beet sugar for human consumption. Modern industrial sugar refinement processes often involves bleaching and crystallization also, producing a white, odorless, crystalline powder with a sweet taste of pure sucrose, devoid of Vitamins and minerals. This refined form of sucrose is commonly referred to as table sugar or just sugar."

So it looks like Sucrose is essentially plain table sugar. That's why the Coconut Sugar can be substituted for cane sugar, because they both contain high amounts of Sucrose. Probably not what you want.

Just FYI, here's the information on fructose, also from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose):

"Fructose, or fruit sugar, is a simple ketonic monosaccharide found in many plants, where it is often bonded to glucose to form the disaccharide sucrose. It is one of the three dietary monosaccharides, along with glucose and galactose, that are absorbed directly into the bloodstream during digestion. [...] Pure, dry fructose is a very sweet, white, odorless, crystalline solid and is the most water-soluble of all the sugars. Fructose is found in honey, tree and vine fruits, flowers, berries, and most root vegetables."

It goes on to say that one formulation of fructose, bonded with glucose, becomes "high-fructose corn syrup". Also note that fructose found in fruits and vegetables is normally bonded with lots of Fiber, so it generally doesn't get into the bloodstream as fast as say honey or refined fructose.

Glucose, Fructose, and Sucrose seem to all have real potential for dumping for us.

Could you substitute Splenda or some other artificial sweetener for the Coconut Sugar? I realize some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners though.

And if you find a good recipe for crustless pumpkin pie, please share! I want that for Thanksgiving! :)

@@toasty, thanks for all the research! Yes, I will end up using a sugar substitute, but wanted to rule out that we could not use it because it states that it tastes similar to brown sugar and of course that is a key ingreadent in making pumpkin pie taste good :-)

I love the World According to Eggface site, and below are some ideas. Note these are all high-Protein, low-carb recipes.

Could possibly use this one on soft foods stage if you leave off the topping:

Pumpkin Praline Ricotta Bake (http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/09/pumpkin-praline-ricotta-bake.html)

These have to wait for solid-foods stage:

Pumpkin Protein Mini-Muffins (http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-pumpkin-muffin-morning.html)

Pumpkin Ricotta pancakes (http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/09/day-in-my-pouch_15.html)

Many of these recipes require SF Torani pumpkin Pie Syrup, which you can get on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Torani%C2%AE-Pumpkin-Syrup-Sugar-Free/dp/B002TW7438) and maybe other places. You might want to get the pump as well. They also have variety packs so you don't have to buy them individually as well.

I have not tried any of the recipes yet, but I always default back to Atkins when looking for low carb/sugar recipes. If u google atkins pumpkin pie some recipes come up for pumpkin pie pudding and some have almost 5 star reviews. Just an idea

Truvia or stevia is my favorite so far. It tastes great in coffee and everything else I've put it in.

I made a crustless pumpkin pie this weekend and used Splenda and fat free evaporated milk. My family thought that it was good. Splenda also makes a brown sugar as well but I have yet to try it.....

@@leanne1126 Could you share the recipe? I am constantly on the lookout for good alternatives to classic pumpkin pie.

@@toasty

1-15 oz can pure pumpkin

1/2 cup Splenda granulated sweetener

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Dash Salt

2 large eggs

1 (12 oz) can light or fat free evaporated milk

sugar free whipped cream for serving (optional)

Preheat oven to 300

In large bowl mix pumpkin with sweetener, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Stir in evaporated milk and mix well. ***You could probably use pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon, ginger and cloves individually***

Pour the pumpkin mixture into a deep 9-inch glass pie plate (I sprayed with cooking spray first) and bake for 30-35 minutes until set but still a little wobbly in the center. (Mine had to bake for about 40-45) Allow to cool to room temperature. Service warm or cool then refrigerate. Cut into wedges and service with a little sugar free whipped cream, if desired.

Serves 6, Protein 8.2g, Carbs 14.4g, Calories per portion 132, Fat 5.1g

I got this from one of my cookbooks, Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook by Shasta Press

Edited by leanne1126

@@leanne1126, thanks for sharing, this sounds amazing!