Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 nights ago I figured it was time to bite the bullet and tell my 7 year old that I am going away for 5 days without him.

He cried and cried and cried when I told him mommy is going on a mini vacation with Nana.

I didnt tell him about the surgery, and wont until I get home. I still have some time to figure that part out.

Only family member that knows (besides my Ryan) Nana (my ex-mother in law out of all people) who is coming with me and has been a major support this whole journey.

I haven't even told my own mother.

I tried reassuring my son that Nan and me weren't going anywhere fun. There wasn't going to be any amusement rides or beaches. It was strictly a vacation for mommy and Nana to spend some time together as she has been sick and in the hospital recovering from lung complications. He still wasn't happy.

What got him okay with the idea was when I told him that I took the whole day off work on Tuesday to take him to his first day of grade 2. I would pick him up at lunch, and pick him up after school. He got shocked and laughed at me when I asked if I could take "Lambie" his favorite stuffie (since birth) with me so I would really be without him. He told me I was silly. To think I could take Lambie away from him was blastomy !!!

It broke my heart to see him so upset.

I took him on a Mommy and Me vacation 2 weeks ago, where we spend 3 days at the waterpark in the hotel, ordering room service and shopping till we dropped. That still didnt make him okay with anything.

Luckily I leave at 5am for the airport when he will still be alseep. Not sure how my hus-friend will the tears when my son wakes up and I am not there. Our bond has been so air tight that being away from each other throws the whole universe off course.

As much as I want the surgery, THIS part is what I have been dreading. The 5 days in TJ cant come and go fast enough.

..ii.ll.aa..

(means I love Alex double time)

How did you tell your kids that you were going away for a few days without them? & without breaking their tiny hearts.

I still have a very close relationship with my ex mother in law. She's been very supportive of me through this journey as well. She will be keeping my kids while I'm in the hospital and she will taking them back and forth to school for me while I can't drive. I told my kids yesterday, grandma and grandpa had picked them up for school for me while I was meeting with my surgeon. After my appointment I went over to pick them and discuss my surgery date and all with my ex in laws. I told the kids they would be staying a couple of days at grandmas house. They were excited. I told them I was gonna be having a surgery to make me feel better. My daughter who is 7 has had 3 surgeries and she's also a type 1 diabetic, she spent a week in ICU when she was diagnosed with diabetes. She was worried me liking the hospital food, lol! I told her not to worry bc I would be having special food. She was ok after that. My son is 9, he didn't have much to say other than how excited he was to stay at grandmas for longer than a night. I do plan on facetiming with them or at least calling them after surgery so they know I'm ok.

Just a thought that you maybe should have chosen a different word than vacation. If he equates vacation to fun and all he can think about is having fun. Maybe try and talk to him again and tell him that it's not really a vacation but an important business type trip. I don't know what term to use but if vacation upsets him then tell him its something important. Just a thought. My daughter is 9 and she knows I am having surgery. She is very supportive of what i am doing.

@@Remmy75 @

Thank you both for your words. It made me feel a lot better.

I never even thought about telling him it was a work thing.

I think either way, he would have had the same reaction.

I think I will ask Grandma (the other ex mother in law) if my son can spend the night there one day next weekend. He is putty in your hands when you bring up Grandma's

Hi hey whatever helps him feel better and kinda distract him from the vacation he isn't going on maybe if it's possible bring him a "surprise " when u come home if there's a special something he enjoys a small toy or book or maybe u can put a little gift box together before u go with some new things he can play with coloring books he draw you a picture everyday or play dough he can make something to show you he can take a photo and email it to you if somebody can help him do that or little cars stuff from the dollar store or a DVDs all kids typically love getting things maybe u can arrange for this little gift box to arrive after you leave like the day after your surgery when your not groggy and he can talk to you for a few mins even if u just stash it in a closet and address it to him someone can help him open it if he is little he likely won't notice there's no postage on it hope this helps I'm not a parent but I've taken care of many children I've had them cry when I'm gone away I've done these little things at times so they don't think I've forgotten them nothing like a tiny tear stained face to make u feel guilty lol

i dont have any kids but ive baby sat my neices and nephews when mommy and daddy went on vacation they were ok the smallist one had a rough morning because she wanted mommy to take her to the potty. she was in the middle of potty training but other than that she was good