Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op eating tips

I'm now just a few days over 3 weeks post op gastric bypass and so far eating somewhat normally again, err, well for my "new normal." I thought these tips might be useful to others...

Things that go down fine (and are pleasurable to eat)

1. oatmeal (I buy the quick packets of organic oatmeal, no sugar added), lowfat 1% milk just cover them in a bowl and microwave a minute to a minute and 1/2. Add a handful of fresh strawberries and blueberries with a sprinkle of splenda a spash more milk. Yummy and fills you up with no issues (at least for me)
  2. Salads - I've really had no problems enjoying a small salad.
  3. No sugar added popsicles (about 25 to 35 calories each) - very soothing and tasty
  4. Black bean Soup and almost any cream Soups in the cartons (roasted red pepper etc.)
  5. Chili - in small quantities
  6. most canned Soups like Progresso heart healthy
  7. laughing cow cheese - actually, I'm not a big fan but these are fine
  8. Light and Fit greek yogurt - 80 calories - these are good
  9. Stouffers mac and cheese cups - these are high in fat but only 240 calories or so since you're eating a small amount and a tasty treat once and a while
  10. Vitarain from costco - about $10 a case
  11. eggs so long as they're cooked soft
  12. Low Fat 1 or 2% cottage cheese
  13. Almonds - just a few once and a while
  14. Flank steak - flank steak is tender, slice it thin, saute with some peppers and just remember small amounts
  15. Popcorn air popped - just a small bowl with a tiny drizzle of butter and a little salt
  16. Artificial crab - fine in small amounts.
  17. Jello

Things that hurt to avoid or eat very, very slowly

1. Pasta/Noodles - even small quantities are pretty tough to keep down
  2. chicken, especially white meat - doesn't digest well
  3. Crackers - almost any kind - a few rice crackers maybe but all others don't feel good to me
  4. ground meat - a bit easier then chicken but still, very small amounts
  5. bread or Bagels - don't feel good
  6. anything fried in oil

The key is always listen to your body. Chew well, wait for it to go down, see how it feels, if it feels bad stop or slow way down. Hopefully this makes sense to some folks. I'm hoping things get easier but I'm adapting well to my "new normal."

Edited by Justin1524

As somebody who has yet to have surgery, I appreciate your list and will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what other advice/suggestions people have to offer. This is incredibly helpful, thank you =)

Edited by Nikikins

Wow I am 4 weeks out and cannot have half the stuff you are eating ..I get oatmeal,cottage cheese, Beans fish and can now start soft veggies .. the rest of food is in different stages

Topping off my first week out here, soft/mushy foods for me next so some of this I'll have to wait on, but great list - really appreciate you putting it together. Makes for good ideas of stuff to try out as I can.

I noticed you mentioned imitation crab - why not the real thing?

Topping off my first week out here, soft/mushy foods for me next so some of this I'll have to wait on, but great list - really appreciate you putting it together. Makes for good ideas of stuff to try out as I can.

No reason, the imitation crab legs are soft, a good source of Protein and Omega 3 and 1 or 2 sticks goes down easy enough. Also, inexpensive. I haven't tried shrimp yet but a few shrimp could also go a long way provided they go down.

No reason, the imitation crab legs are soft, a good source of Protein and Omega 3 and 1 or 2 sticks goes down easy enough. Also, inexpensive. I haven't tried shrimp yet but a few shrimp could also go a long way provided they go down.

Ahh okay, gotcha - thanks!

I am not allowed oatmeal, crackers, and especially the mac n cheese stuff, nor am I allowed popcorn... like... ever. I can't imagine eating something as rough on the digestive tract as popcorn, especially so early on when the pouch is not healed. I am only allowed soft Proteins for another month (I am 3 weeks out). like eggs, Beans, fish, cheeses. Some of the stuff you are eating I was told to stay completely away from. And I am only supposed to be eating 1 Tbsp at a meal for this phase. I would be really scared to eat some of that.

I am still pre-op, so take this for what it's worth. Just be aware that:

1. Everyone is different in what they can tolerate, and when. There is no one list that works for everyone.

2. It seems like every surgeon/nutritionist has a different timeline that they recommend; follow your doctor/nutritionist directions, not necessarily what someone else does.

For instance, my doctor has me on full liquids for first two weeks post-op, then on pureed foods for the next two weeks, and only then on to soft foods for a few weeks. oatmeal is not allowed until pretty far down the road, and at three weeks out even chicken would need to be pureed with Water.

Everyone's different. Ask your doctor/nutritionist, then follow their directions. They should have had a class or at least a document on what to eat post-op; if not, ask lots of questions about it so there's no surprises.