Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else with high BMI to start?

Hello. My BMI was 50, and I am only 9 days out. My weight the day of surgery was 285. Anyone else in this bracket? How did you do with the weight loss? My surgeon says to focus on the "200" mark. Well yeah...I'd love that. But I'd love to get to 150 pounds for a long term goal. Does this mean he does not think this is possible?

Hello! Mine was 48.5 I'm only 3 weeks post-op (Revison band to sleeve). My surgeon and I didn't discuss goal weights, but my regular dr and i have discussed it. I would love to get to 150, but he thinks 175 would be more reasonable and comfortable. I'm 5'7", starting weight 310.

My BMI was about 52. I've lost 145 pounds from surgery and 165 from my all time high, and kept it off for a year and a half. It took me 14 months to lose it.

I'd like to get down to 155 pounds, but haven't been willing to work that hard. I work very hard to maintain now. I wear a size 8 and even though my BMI is still 'overweight', I don't think I'm fat. I'm very happy with my results!

I imagine your doc wants you to be realistic, and might be basing his number on averages. Sleeve patients will lose somewhere between 60-70% of excess weight (depending on who you are talking to), so statistically none of us would ever get to a normal weight if we took that as expected outcome. But to get to that statistical number, some people lose 100% of their excess weight and some lose 0% with most being somewhere in between. Most of our success is up to us, some of it is the sleeve forcing decreased intake, and some of it is genetics.

I think every DR is different in their views. I am going into the sleeve at 316lbs and a high bmi and my surgeon said his goal for me is 170. My personal goal is 150 because I'm only 5' 4 1/2" and that would I believe put me right at the high end of "normal" weight. Now don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled to see my weight start with a 1 even if it's 199.9 because I have never seen that since probably sixth grade and I'm 36 now. ????

My starting weight was 300, I am 1 year out from when I started my journey and had sleeve surgery 10/8/14. Current weight is 190 ???? and I am very happy so far. My Dr and I did not really set a "goal" weight, but even if I leveled off here i would be thrilled! I am just going to keep doing what I have been doing!

Good luck! I can work!

I started at a BMI of 48.8. My all time high was 56.6

7 1/2 months post sleeve I'm at a BMI of 32+. I'm only a couple pounds from my surgeons "goal". I don't think this is where she thinks I'll end up but it's a 65% loss of my excess weight. She said this is the average and if I reached it she would qualify my surgery as a success.

She said I would lose the most in the first six months but continue to lose more slowly up to the 12 month mark provided I followed my nutritionist's instructions. So I don't think I'm done yet, though I've been stalled for a few weeks.

I started with a BMI of 53. 9 months post-op and currently at 33. I've lost 137 lbs since surgery, so it is definitely possible. There are sleevers on this board that have lost 150+ lbs.

My BMI was 79.5. Hard to even think of that now.

My starting bmi was 59.5 weighing 383lbs .. Currently i'm at 36.5 and weighing 233 lbs .. Yep 150lbs lost to date and still losing thanks to my wonderful sleeve ????

My bmi was 51 and I am nearly to 50 pounds lost. I am 12 weeks post op. My loss has been steady and I am pleased with it. I am 5 foot tall and starting weight was 268. I am at 220 now and can actually see onederland as a possibility. Your surgeon tells you to focus on 200 because it gives you a more attainable goal that you can focus on. I needed to lose 138 pounds to reach a goal weight of 130. That seems nearly incomprehensible that I will ever weigh 130. But 199 also seemed incomprehensible. Now it seems possible. And along with that possibility, comes the realization that 130 has gone from incomprehensible to difficult but possible. I take my loss 10 pounds at a time. I treat myself in some way each time I reach a goal. When I reach 50 pounds lost (2 more to go), my planned treat is to rent a convertible and take a road trip for a day.

BMI. 54. No wonder I am so unhappy with myself. Surgery date Nov 11. Diet has been going great, except for that LAST piece of Pecan pie last night. I just wanted to taste it one more time. Anyone else have a craving for one last taste? liquid diet starts Wednesday and I am still tracking every day.

i started at a BMI of 66, 515 lbs and this morning am 388, 53. with 127 lbs lost, i'm a little over a third of my way to my goal. 4 days ago i was 3 months post op. i am Very pleased with my results so far.

Congratulations. Am hoping my results are as successful.

i started at a BMI of 66, 515 lbs and this morning am 388, 53. with 127 lbs lost, i'm a little over a third of my way to my goal. 4 days ago i was 3 months post op. i am Very pleased with my results so far.

Wow that's amazing!