Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I am having commitment issues with having surgery. They just moved my surgery up a week and well, I am still unsure. Is this normal? Part of me doesn't want to have this surgery and feels like I should be doing something behaviorally by now to help cement my decision. All I have done is switched to Decaf coffee and Stevia sweetener. I didn't have a struggle with commitment my first two Weight Loss procedures.

I am worried of failing and of not being ready.

Edited by India928

There is no way I am the only one on this forum who feels this way. Does no one else feel uncertain? Gosh, now I feel like an anomaly.....odd ball out :/

It's doubtful that you are alone.

it may just be that people are confused.

Are you saying that the only thing you've done to prepare for weight loss is to change your coffee?

Or was this just for your surgery?

Behavorially......I would hope you are already doing everything in your power to lose weight.

Edited by Dub

Dub - thank you for replying.

The coffee switch is in preparation for the surgery.

For actual weight loss....I am walking, drinking more Water, truly making successful effort at staying away from sugary foods- as much as possible, eating Protein first, veggies next, seeing a therapist every two weeks to address the "food addiction" issue, attending support groups twice a month- sometimes three if I can make it.....etc, etc.

I am speaking of the "certainty" of decision making. The part where you actually become excited for the new you too emerge. I remember being so excited with my previous surgery (sleeve). Felt hopeful, felt empowered, did not question if I was making the right decision, I just knew. This time around I am very apprehensive and I suppose getting cold feet.

For actual weight loss....I am walking, drinking more Water, truly making successful effort at staying away from sugary foods- as much as possible, eating Protein first, veggies next, seeing a therapist every two weeks to address the "food addiction" issue, attending support groups twice a month- sometimes three if I can make it.....etc, etc.

I am speaking of the "certainty" of decision making. The part where you actually become excited for the new you too emerge. I remember being so excited with my previous surgery (sleeve). Felt hopeful, felt empowered, did not question if I was making the right decision, I just knew. This time around I am very apprehensive and I suppose getting cold feet.

is it possible that you aren't excited because you are afraid of getting your hopes up and failing? I know how you describe feeling is how I feel now about diets. Like you want it to work, but you have just been burnt so many times you cannot allow yourself to do that again...to hope. It's hard to get past that experience when that's all we have to go on. I hope for you, that this is the one that works and that you've got the right amount of support and people to kick your butt when you need it(I need butt kickers when I feel like giving up).

Sajijoma....that's exactly how I feel. Thank you for expressing what I could not. I need this to work, I need to make it happen.

Sorry. Didn't realize you'd had previous WLS surgery.

You're being unsure is fully understandable. You've been through all this before and for whatever the reasons you now find yourself going through them again.

You mention becoming excited and waiting for the new you to emerge.

You now know it's a longer process.....not something that just occurs one day as if by magic.

It's understandable.

You'll get through this thing and will make progress.....steady progress. Push yourself hard and the progress will come.

We are all in your corner and I myself, can explain how nervous I am. Just reading posts from others going in for surgery, I can feel my anxiety level and heart rate start to double. Sooo nervous. I hate being a worrier, inherited that honestly from my mother, but I want this surgery like no other and am ready to adjust and do what is told of me - I can totally commit. I worry of the surgery in itself...scary.

You are certainly NOT ALONE. I've even cancelled one day prior to my surgery because I was so uncertain and scared. Here I am again....

You are not alone. I have not had WLS yet, because I have other issues going on. However, if this helps, I am having major eye surgery Aug 12. I am scared and nervous. I am afraid of being face down for 7-10 days. I am afraid of being restricted to lifting anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. I am afraid this surgery will not work and it will fail. I am afraid I will lose my eye sight. I am afraid I am making the wrong decision. I am afraid the doctor will have a slip of the hand. I am afraid because we do not know the outcome. I am afraid that no one will be here with me while I am face down. I am afraid I will blow out the gas bubble. I am afraid of going under anesthesia because of breathing problems on my last endoscopy. I am afraid of being face down and lower back pain, and squishing my big boobs and of hurting my esophagus and putting pressure on it.

I realize it is not WLS and it is a 2 month commitment for me but I am making a decision that could affect and change my life. The same fears are there. I have done everything I possibly can do to prepare, and prayed and put myself on prayer requests. I made a decision and I am pressing forward. You do the very best you can and you pray and hope for the best. I have to remember that God did not give me a spirit of fear.