Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 16 Sleever, got a few questions. :)

Hi everyone! I was a July 16 revision, (band to sleeve).

I was curious about a couple of things.

1. About how many calories/protien is everyone getting in? Being 17 days out, I have a huge struggle with getting in fluids and protien in. I am supposed to be on just liquid protien and creamy Soups still for another week, and I basically have given up on trying because the thought of another protien drink is nauseating. I called and asked if I can branch into Greek yogurt and got that blessing. But I am currently getting in maybe 300-400 calories a day if I am lucky. Maybe 20-30 grams of protien.

2. At 17 days post op, what stage of diet were you on? Any good recipes if yoj are post liquids? I am still on liquids, but I would kill to have a soft cooked egg. Or something more than a cream Soup. I am not asking for a burger, I am totally down with a healthy choice. I just can't take another shake. (I sound pathetic I know, lol)

3. Has anyone had sharp pains on their sides or an aching pain? My recovery was not as traditional. I have two small kids and went back to work after day 4. My husband has tried to help, but he works about 70 hours a week, so I have been doing my best to manage life with recovery while tending to all my duties.

4. How much can you take in in a sitting? I can do 1/2 cup and then I am done.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Congratulations to all of us on this excited journey!

I had my sleeve on July 16. its been relatively easy for me. I've been able to get in all my Protein as far as Protein shakes, and all the recommended Water since I left the Hospital. I've basically done just Protein drinks and Water with the occasional blended/strained Soup. the Soups that I have tried cream of chicken and mushroom soup was pretty good. cream of mushroom wasn't very tasty. I also tried Campbell's French onion soup blended and strained.

about a half cup of soup, maybe a little more fills me up.

Thursday I had my 2 week post op visit and was given the OK to do pureed foods. They have been a little tougher. Refried Beans work pretty good, cottage cheese, Yogurt all work well....I can eat about 4-5 ounces. but I made some chicken salad puree and that was hard to get down. I'm only doing pureed 1 meal a day. still doing shakes and water mostly.

I was sleeved on July 22nd. I never thought I'd be able to drink all the Protein they ask me to. But yesterday, I poured my shake over ice and it was so much easier to drink! I don't know why, but for me, that was the magic button. 30g of protein in a shake and later 10g from a ice cold glass of milk! Water is still tough for me though.

I couldnt drink a whole bottle of the ready made protien shakes. they were ussually 11oz. so I didnt try to drink them. what I was doing, I had Syntrax nectar which is 23 grams per scoop. I was measureing 4 and later 5 ounces of Water in a cup and using 1 scoop.

that way I was getting the full 23 grams but only having to drink 4 or 5 oz to get it. that helped a lot

Mix in a half a scoop of Protein powder in with your Soup to boost the Protein. Calories are not as important in the first few weeks as long as you are not feeling weak or have a headache. Fluid and protein are vital.

Thanks everyone, my issue is the smell and after taste of the Protein and the super artificial sweetness.

I have spent about $300 on different types of protien. I have done Protein Shots, Premier, core power light, Isopure, bariessential clear and vanilla, mix1, GNC total lean...etc....

I can tell you I honestly have tried to get those drinks down. And mix the clear into my Soup, but that clumps and the second I taste or smell the protien, nausea kicks in over drive. I have purchased sugar free syrups, tried crystal light and PB2.

I struggled with the 2 week diet with this Protein making me sick also.

I appreciate all the helpful advice and tips.

On a positive note, I am still losing. Down 21 lbs since surgery... just feeling worn out.

I also had my surgery July 16. I was on Clear Liquids for a week, but was unable to drink any of the Protein drinks because I'm pretty sure it caused dumping syndrome for me, even in small amounts. Instead, I drank plain greek yogurt mixed with Water, about 2 Tbsp at a time for a week. I've just started eating 2-3 Tbsp of cottage cheese or watered down refried Beans, 3 times a day. I tried scrambled eggs a couple days ago (ate a quarter of one egg) and felt uncomfortably full. I also drink about 2/3 of a G2 and have a couple sugar free popsicles a day. I've gotten above 200 calories once in all these days. My biggest problem is getting tired easily, which is an obstacle because I also have two little kids and a husband who is gone for the summer. I'm allowing myself to take it as easy as I can, figuring everything non-essential can wait. I'm active normally because of my kids' activities, so I'm not burdening myself with trying to exercise while I'm eating so few calories.

@@FireWife

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think most of those protien drinks were causing dumping. Thank you for sharing. Sounds like we have similar experiences.

I appreciate all the feedback.