Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perhaps I need more time to adjust, but as of right now, I'm an unhappy camper.

Had surgery on July 15, 2015

Spent 2 weeks on a (semi) clear liquid diet (broth, Water, popcycles....)

Had my 2 week checkup on July 29.

I will say, I didn't have any advice other than to start "Pureed" foods.

So we left the doctors office with a book in hand (examples of meal size and foods....ect).

We stop at "Eat n Park" on the way, where I ordered 2 side dishes. One was mashed potatoes (with a side of gravy). I'm extimating the serving size was about 1-1/2 cups. I also orderd a side of cottage cheese. At this point I'm a happy camper!!!! REAL food.

So I eat approximately 1 full cup of the potatoes and all the little saucer of grave, and only a little nibble of the cottage cheese.< /p>

THAT WAS MEAL #1.

Here is where it gets interesting......

I reiterate this to a couple friends that had the "sleeve" also. They peoceed to tell me that I should have been puking my guts out. They go on to say, I should only be eating a 1/4 cup at a meal. (WTF???). I explain that I felt just great, but decided to call my doctors office anyways. They confirm the 1/4 cup for 3 meals. The doctors office even went a step further than what my friends experienced. My friends were allowed the 3 meals at 1/4 cup, but were also allowed the protien shake drinks (2- 8oz) inbetween meals. My doctor tells me, its 2 meals of the 1/4 cup and a third meal of the protien shake.< /p>

Long and short of the story..... I am starved. I swear my doctor made the 5 laproscopic incisions, then before proceeding any further, decided he had to take a piss. Upon his return, it was like....ahhhh....where was I? Ohhhhh yeah, all I have to do it stitch him up. I think (and feel) like they never removed any part of my stomach. I've never been nauseous or felt full on what I've eaten.

This blows. I'd be interested in hearing anyones thoughts.

ps. My surgery was "fast tracked".....

I first saw the nutritionalist on May 8. I lost 68 pounds from May 8th until my surgery date on July 15. At my 2 week checkup (post surgery) I had lost only an additional 22 lbs. Not that 22 lbs is minimal, but I expected more after the removal of most of my stomach, and 2 weeks of eating NOTHING......and the fact that I lost 68 in a little over 8 weeks, eating a 1000 calorie diet . (think bunches of fried peppers and mushrooms & turkey hotdogs on 35 calorie a slice bread with onions and mustard).

Enough Whining from me.......but as of today.....I wish I didn't have it done. Perhaps that will change.

Are you claiming no one told you to eat Protein first?

Just curious since you ate an entire side dish of potatoes and entire thing of gravy but just nibbled the cottage cheese.

If it makes you feel less jealous, I am two years out and my sleeve makes me barf roughly once or twice a day, lol. There are some foods that I feel like I can eat much more than I should be eating and carbs would be one of them. My stomach doesn't like gravy or potatoes, but it loves crackers- I can eat a whole box of crackers in a few hours if I'm not paying attention. It's possible you may have just found one of your slider foods early in the process. As someone else said, focus on getting the Protein in first. Once you are back on solid food, this means eating the full serving of chicken, then a vegetable, and thennnn the potatoes. For me, dense Proteins make me feel instantly full and a bite too much or a bite of something my stomach decides it doesn't like, and I am barfing it all right back up. For now, try Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and thicker Protein shakes (you can blend stuff in a blender like...almond milk, Protein powder, frozen Greek yogurt, and PB2 to give you a thicker consistency, plus it tastes better).

Also, why not cover your bases and make sure your stomach is actually gone? I sincerely doubt that the procedure was not done fully or correctly, but visual confirmation is always nice. Ask for a swallow study...you basically swallow this disgusting cup of goop and they watch it make its way all the way down your stomach to your intestine. You can actually see that your stomach is gone (I very vaguely remember this, I was blitzed out of my mind for my swallow study) and visually seeing that you no longer have a normal stomach might help you as well.

Seriously woo woo...... This whole procedure was "fast tracked". My friends that had this operation were totally shocked with the little information and guidance my doctor gave me. I was handed a booklet entitled "Nutrition Guidelines for Gastric Sleeve Surgery". Other than that, my doctors "nurse" tole me to start pureed foods, and try to consume 60g of Protein a day. Since talking with friends, and a follow up call to my doctors office (the nurse), I dind't know at the time to eat the Protein first. I do now.

In summary, they told me to consume a Protein shake for Breakfast, and a 1/4 cup of pureed for lunch, and a quarter cup of puree for supper. Thats it the nurse told me (said I'm still healing). I pushed a little, and inquired about adding some Clear liquids such as "Broth" inbetween, which they said would be ok.

Both friends told me they had a hard time choking down a 1/4 cup at times. After my personal experience with the potatoes and gravy (my first meal), I can't seem to quit shaking my head at them, and that little teenie 1/4 cup measuring device.

Who knew you could hate a measuing cup.)))))

yes def mashed taters and gravy probably not your best choice, i havent had either of them since a few weeks before my surgery and dont even know how i would feel about them now. i have made them for my husband but havent really wanted any.

and i too find foods good or bad within 5 mins of putting it in my mouth...i have spent many a nights just feeling awful , or like i had lettuce stuck in my throat..havent had lettuce since.. :blink:

i did have to do a swallow study and in a few weeks you should be billed for a pathology report of the removed portion...lol so if you dont get that bill...maybe you do still have a stomach?? ;)

it will get better!

Edited by jeanniereenie

ps. Congratulations you two..... I see one of you hit your goal, and the other is close.

I didn't fill in my target weight, so I'm assuming that is why I didn't get a measuring stick at the bottom of my post.

FYI. I started at 440, and my follow up last week was 350

Seriously woo woo...... This whole procedure was "fast tracked". My friends that had this operation were totally shocked with the little information and guidance my doctor gave me. I was handed a booklet entitled "Nutrition Guidelines for Gastric Sleeve Surgery". Other than that, my doctors "nurse" tole me to start pureed foods, and try to consume 60g of Protein a day. Since talking with friends, and a follow up call to my doctors office (the nurse), I dind't know at the time to eat the Protein first. I do now.

In summary, they told me to consume a protein shake for Breakfast, and a 1/4 cup of pureed for lunch, and a quarter cup of puree for supper. Thats it the nurse told me (said I'm still healing). I pushed a little, and inquired about adding some Clear Liquids such as "Broth" inbetween, which they said would be ok.

Both friends told me they had a hard time choking down a 1/4 cup at times. After my personal experience with the potatoes and gravy (my first meal), I can't seem to quit shaking my head at them, and that little teenie 1/4 cup measuring device.

Who knew you could hate a measuing cup.)))))

my dr gave me a huge book and a stack of 1 oz medicine type cups to measure liquids in, then a 1/4 cup bowl and a 1/2 cup bowl, i have yet to eat all the half cup at a sitting...i do eat a lot of pickles though and i hated them before.. :P

ps. Congratulations you two..... I see one of you hit your goal, and the other is close.

I didn't fill in my target weight, so I'm assuming that is why I didn't get a measuring stick at the bottom of my post.

FYI. I started at 440, and my follow up last week was 350

according to the AMA i should weigh between 98-115 lbs because I am so short...i have told my friends and family if i weigh 110 lbs, call 911 something has gone horribly wrong! lol

Keep reading as much as you can, you will get the hang of things, don't worry.

Yes if you eat all of your Protein literally first, you will get fuller faster and will wind up eating less overall. Plus then you will be able to get your daily Protein grams in more easily.

The weight loss ticker (stick) must be set up by you. If you look at the top right part of your screen, under your screen name there will be an option called "my tickers". Select or click on that and it will walk you through the options. :)

If it makes you feel less jealous, I am two years out and my sleeve makes me barf roughly once or twice a day, lol. There are some foods that I feel like I can eat much more than I should be eating and carbs would be one of them. My stomach doesn't like gravy or potatoes, but it loves crackers- I can eat a whole box of crackers in a few hours if I'm not paying attention. It's possible you may have just found one of your slider foods early in the process. As someone else said, focus on getting the Protein in first. Once you are back on solid food, this means eating the full serving of chicken, then a vegetable, and thennnn the potatoes. For me, dense Proteins make me feel instantly full and a bite too much or a bite of something my stomach decides it doesn't like, and I am barfing it all right back up. For now, try Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and thicker Protein shakes (you can blend stuff in a blender like...almond milk, Protein Powder, frozen Greek yogurt, and PB2 to give you a thicker consistency, plus it tastes better).

Also, why not cover your bases and make sure your stomach is actually gone? I sincerely doubt that the procedure was not done fully or correctly, but visual confirmation is always nice. Ask for a swallow study...you basically swallow this disgusting cup of goop and they watch it make its way all the way down your stomach to your intestine. You can actually see that your stomach is gone (I very vaguely remember this, I was blitzed out of my mind for my swallow study) and visually seeing that you no longer have a normal stomach might help you as well.

AvaFern, you barf twice a day?? That makes me wonder why I want to do this (scheduled for August 12th). How do you handle that if you are out at a restaurant? Or at a friend's house? I would want to hide myself away so no-one knew I was barfing! I don't have as much to lose as some of you - I have to lose 60 pounds or so. So I am wondering if weight loss is worth barfing twice a day. If you had to do it again, would you?