Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know better, but I...

I am 6 weeks out and am having problems. I think I'm eating too fast or not chewing well enough because I can't keep my liquid or food down at dinner/night. I am fine in the daytime, of course I don't eat all day, I just drink a lot. I hate eating and can't wrap my mind around eating anything. Not because I want to lose more weight, but it just doesn't appeal to me, it's not something I want to do. I think , THINK, I eat fast because I just want to get it over with. Maybe. I don't know. It's the onlyreason I can think of as to why, after waiting a 1/2 hour after drinking to eat, I eat and I spend the rest of the night spitting liquid out of my mouth into a glass then finally giving up and going to the bathroom to throw up.

I know better. What is going on! It's been happening almost every night the past week. Not every day. It's got to be me, but why am I being such an arse about food when I know better?

Tough love here. So you are not following the plan post-op and you are having troubles. This isn't surprising. Why are you doing it? I have no idea. But unless you want to fail at this and potentially end up back in the hospital because of dehydration, you'll get back on track using your new tool correctly.

Edited by QuilterGal

When you say you aren't eating all day, how are you getting in all your Protein?

You have got to follow your post op plan to stay hydrated and get your Protein so you can heal and lose weight.

Not eating is not going to help with either of those objectives.

I know how hard it is to eat properly when you don't feel hungry to begin with but if you want to be successful with bypass, you have to go back to the basics.

3 small meals per day, eat slowly, chew your food thoroughly. No drinking anything 30 minutes before or after a meal.

You need to build this habit now before your hunger comes back or you will end up with big problems down the road.

If I were you, I would start from the beginning again and schedule your meals. See if that helps your situation and if not, then I would seek medical advice because you might have something stuck.

Good luck to you! I hope things get better!

All docs and nuts are different but for me if I'm not hungry...I don't eat...I drink and drink and only eat when I'm hungry. I'm 9 weeks and still do that. Eventually I will get hungry and eat.

Edited by wahtx

Thank you guys for offering advice. :) I knew/know that I had to eat in order to get the nutrients and to keep my metabolism going. I know that.

My issue was, why do I hate food so much, or at all? I was hoping someone would catch on that and relate. I still hate food and force myself to eat, but it shouldn't be that way. "hate" is a strong reaction, I need to know someone understands. I feel all alone.

I stopped throwing up. I eat a little more, and a few times a day. I was always taking my Protein shots, 84 gms a day. I drink like a fish.

I'm now in "two"derland! I feel fit as a fiddle, but I still hate food, the act of eating. I've been doing my chair exercises, don't feel like it does much now but it will in time. And I'm able to walk a little more, even without the oxygen. It's fun! And mpowering.

How often are you eating a day?I know everyone's doctor says different. Mine said 3 meals and 2 'snacks' a day. So I never go all day without eating. I eat every 3-4 hrs. I don't know if not eating all day necessarily would cause getting sick in the evening, but as a whole, only eating 600-800 calories a day and not eating all day could get pretty unhealthy.

Glad to hear things are going better and congrats on getting in the 2's. I got there last week :)

Thank you guys for offering advice. :) I knew/know that I had to eat in order to get the nutrients and to keep my metabolism going. I know that.

My issue was, why do I hate food so much, or at all? I was hoping someone would catch on that and relate. I still hate food and force myself to eat, but it shouldn't be that way. "hate" is a strong reaction, I need to know someone understands. I feel all alone.

I stopped throwing up. I eat a little more, and a few times a day. I was always taking my Protein shots, 84 gms a day. I drink like a fish.

I'm now in "two"derland! I feel fit as a fiddle, but I still hate food, the act of eating. I've been doing my chair exercises, don't feel like it does much now but it will in time. And I'm able to walk a little more, even without the oxygen. It's fun! And mpowering.

Have you talked to your NUT? A counselor or therapist might be able to help you with this issue.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

I'm waiting for my nutritionist to return my call today. Thanks!

I'm a few months away from my bypass so I haven't a clue what it's like on that side.

I can only guess that perhaps your mind is holding out on you after you've done so much to allow yourself to get thinner....pre-op liquid diet, surgery, healing, post-op liquid diet........now it's rebelling against the act of eating.

I don't know....haven't made it that far yet, but I'm sure it's going to be some weird time getting settled in.

In many ways I think it was easier, for me, at least, to quit smoking or quit other things. Quitting something altogether has a fianalty about it. Close the book.

Learning to eat correctly has been harder for me because it's not something I can close the book on. Have to eat. It's the eating right that is hard.

Hope they can help you get things sorted out. its a big change and i wonder if we get the full instruction we need afterwards.

My nut just called me back, and boy am I relieved! First of all, I'm not the freak I was feeling like. You know, hating food. I mean, who HATES food? Me I guess. :rolleyes:

She said what I was doing by not eating all day was not the best thing to do (I knew that), but that I'm doing the right thing by attempting to eat a few small bites, that it's better than nothing. She stated that when I had my bypass (I'll explain this the best I can, bare with me), something called Grhelin was bypassed. It's the "thing" that makes you feel hunger. I'm not feeling hunger because of this. My tummy's not creating the feelings that make me want to eat, or enjoy what it is that I am eating. I guess it "returns" in time. I asked if I will want food like I did before surgery, she said no, not really. THATS a relief! But the drive to eat will come back, don't know when, but she said I'll know. I'm so happy! I thought I was going to be like this for the rest of my life. She said I'll be fine. Whew!

I spent 6 months redesigning my eating thoughts and patterns. I follow the South Beach Diet (required by Surgeon) and it was tough to do at first, but it came to me in time. I eat healthily to save my life. It suggests three small meals and three very small Snacks a day, with various do's and dont's shoved in. All in keeping with keeping the metabolism going. Which I wasn't doing very well post bypass. But now that I know that people, though obviously not on here, but in my surgeon's practice go through this, I feel hope. All I wanted was hope and the feeling that I wasn't alone.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

You lost 134 pounds in 4 months???

Yes. Pretty strange, isn't it? This from someone who has been STUCK for years. I started at a really high weight. My BMI was literally off the charts.

But, most of it is on my lower body. I have a lot of Fluid in my legs. My PA said she would be worried I was losing too fast except that a lot of it is Fluid.

The weird thing is that my right leg is shrinking faster than my left so I am pretty lopsided.

What a weird, strange trip this is.