Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am today 5 weeks post op RNY. I have lost 72lbs since March and have dropped 27lbs since surgery. I know that I haven't been out for that long, but I feel as though I should be losing more. I eat about 1/4 cup of food a meal and manage to get all my Protein and my liquids in. Do you start seeing more of a difference afterwards? I still look the same and am nervous for my drs appt on Friday. I have always been losing and keeping up, and I feel like im not keeping up.

Any advice? Do our stomachs stay swollen for a long time after surgery?

I've lost about the same as you (27 lbs) and I'm seven weeks out! I think it's because both of us lost quite a bit of weight *before* surgery.

During surgery, they pump you body with fluids and that adds weight. So it takes a weeks or two to get back down to the weight that you had going into surgery.

It is great that you lost 72 pounds since March. The pre-op weight loss adds to the post-op weight loss. It gives you a good start. I don't think I would be too concerned at this point that you only lost 27 pounds post-op. Just remember the basics - Vitamins, Protein and fluids. food is only secondary because your body is converting stored fat into the energy that drives your body and thus you lose weight.

Ummm... a little dose of "realism" here. RNY is a tool, not a cure. I'm willing to bet you didn't gain close to 100 pounds in 5 months. The fact that you lost that much is phenomenal, isn't it? Second thing to remember- your body will dictate how fast, how much and when you will lose the weight. Period. You can change it up all you want and enjoy some small losses when you hit those stalls or whatnot, but your body is in charge here. It's been one of the hardest things for me to accept throughout my RNY journey as I've been stuck at about 6 pounds from my goal weight for nearly 2 months no matter what I try and do to kick it back into gear. So, I truly enjoy my life now and not obsess that I didn't get exactly what my surgeon set as my goal weight. Dropping 100 pounds for you has already added years to your life and probably done wonders for your health, no matter how far away you might still be. I'm incredibly proud of you and everyone else here who's done so much to get healthy. Please don't obsess over "how much is enough"- you'll only drive yourself nuts. :mellow:

I agree with what SuzeMuze said. Also, I was thinking more about this and I think 27 lbs in five weeks is really pretty normal - whatever "normal" is. I belong to another forum where some of the members put the amount of weight they lost each month in their signatures. From what I've seen, most of them lost anywhere from 15-25 lbs the first month, and then it starts slowing down in subsequent months (in the teens for awhile - then down to single digits). So you're right in line with this. I'm a bit of a slowpoke at seven weeks. But then, I'm a 50-something female and i lost quite a bit of weight pre-surgery - both of which can affect the rate of my post-surgery weight loss. Plus like SuzeMuze says, my body's in control. As long as I'm following the program (which I am...), the weight will come off. So will yours.

So I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were discussing the amount that I have lost. She as well as everyone keeps asking what my goal is. I don't have an answer. When I weighed 200 lbs last I was in high school. When I weighed 175 I was in jr hi. I thought I was huge then and I am in sizes I wore in high school but I feel so good right now. So my answer to them is, my goal is to be healthy. If I didn't lose another pound I would be happy! I have worked the plan and I have seen results that will last me a lifetime. I had put on at least 100 lbs since I was married 14 years ago. That doesn't include my see sawing back and forth. If it takes me 5 years to lose it all, fine! I'm in no hurry! I feel like I have lost too fast btw. I have lost a total of 85 lbs since April 1st.

Thank you everyone for the reassurance. I go back to the dr for my 4 week checkup. Lets see how that goes ;)

Glad I found this post! I've been getting a little bluesy to you about the weight loss. At my one-month follow-up my doctor kind of made me feel like crap. I didn't walk for about a week because I was having some horrible female issues. I heard him tell the dietitian through the closed door,that I was being noncompliant and I was falling off the wagon. I had a large amount of weight loss in the beginning I went from 277 to 250 during the liquid phase. My first two weeks I went from 250 to 236 at my one-month appointment I only lost 6 pounds after that. I am now 6 weeks out and I weigh 225. I've been stuck here for about a week I'm walking a mile to 2 miles in the morning, I've been going to the gym each night. And I'm back to weighing every bit of my food. And just drinking plain Water. Sometimes I don't think the doctors realize how much they emotionally hurt you when they are critical about the weight-loss post surgery, I can understand that they want you to do well but when they're highly critical of somebody who's been living in liquid it just doesn't seem kind.

Edited by AJ cowgirl

@@snickysnack78

You are making very good progress! Think about losing 27lbs in 5 weeks, that is over 5lbs per week! As you get closer to your goal you won't see numbers like that. If I lose 10 per month now that is an exceptional month for me.

I just saw my bariatric team yesterday, they don't set a goal. They want to ensure you are happy with your weight loss. Well, they were extremely happy with my progress and as I said, I lose on average about 10lbs per month. I may or may not get to my personal goal before my one year anniversary which is at the end of September.

The big thing is that you follow the plan. If you do that and not stray off, the weight will come off. For some it happens a little slower but in the end everyone catches up over the long haul.

I would not worry about your follow up, it should go well for you.

AJ you are doing fantastic. Keep doing what you are doing fantastic. 52 lbs since you started and are 6 weeks out. Wow!! Keep working and don't get down on yourself. My dr is the best and is not worried about the number. He is worried about what I am eating and what I am doing. He said the number is just the added bonus!

Hi there! I had my surgery 5/1/15. I lost 30 lbs prior to surgery and the first month I lost 37 lbs. I was elated!! I then hit a plateau once I was allowed to start exercising again after my 1 month follow up. I had to keep telling myself that I am losing inches and not pounds and I definately saw the change in my clothes. I went on Monday, 7/27/15 for my 3 month check up and dropped 13 lbs since 6/1/15. Sure I would have loved to have seen more but I am down 1-2 sizes since then. Try to remember that it's not always the # on the scale. You will be building muscle as well and that adds more weight. Great job so far!

Hang in there! You are making great progress! I was getting frustrated at week 4 when I sat at 26 lbs lost, then GAINED! I almost stroked out! But I stayed the course and at my 6 week I was told I was ahead % wise of what the "norm" is. Now, 2 months out I'm down 34 from surgery! Just stay focussed! (Did your NUT give you a % breakdown over a 12 month period? If not message me). You can do it!!

I heard this once...the first year of weight loss is the surgery. After that it's on you...so basically there isn't much you can do to control it. Your body is in the driver's seat now and you are along for the ride. You are still averaging 5 plus pounds per week! That's awesome and you should be proud! Hang in there!!

Edited by wahtx