Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a weight loss deadline?

Ok. So my current weight loss is steady but VERY slow. I'm almost 6 months out and down just over 60 lbs. I have lost 13.5 inches from my waist and more all over but I'm definitely not losing it like some folks who say the weight "just falls off". I am spinning and elipticaling :) for literally every ounce.

I know they say you have a year to year and a half to lose the weight. At this pace I won't be at my goal weight in that time frame. And I say mine bc my doctor never really set a goal weight. Just that I should lose between 1-2 lbs a week. So between my 3 month and 6 month visit I am on track. But I'm starting to panic bc while its slow but consistent now I feel like I have this year 1.5 year deadline looming.

For all the veterans out there, have you continued to lose (if you needed/ wanted to) after that 1 to 1.5 year mark post surgery?

Anyone else know how hard and fast that "rule" is?

What happens after a year to a year and a half? Do you turn into a pumpkin or something?

I'm a slow loser too. And I do understand that there is this magical "honeymoon" period where the weight comes off more easily. If that's the case, my honeymoon lasted for about 4 months. Beyond that, like you, I've had to fight for every pound lost. I also know that as time goes on, my hunger may return and restriction may be less. But am I going to let that stop me from reaching goal and then maintenance? No! We can go as far as we want to go with this, whether we are beyond the honeymoon period or not. It's all up to us how bad we want it. Just like it is now ;)

Ok. So my current weight loss is steady but VERY slow. I'm almost 6 months out and down just over 60 lbs. I have lost 13.5 inches from my waist and more all over but I'm definitely not losing it like some folks who say the weight "just falls off". I am spinning and elipticaling :) for literally every ounce.

I know they say you have a year to year and a half to lose the weight. At this pace I won't be at my goal weight in that time frame. And I say mine bc my doctor never really set a goal weight. Just that I should lose between 1-2 lbs a week. So between my 3 month and 6 month visit I am on track. But I'm starting to panic bc while its slow but consistent now I feel like I have this year 1.5 year deadline looming.

For all the veterans out there, have you continued to lose (if you needed/ wanted to) after that 1 to 1.5 year mark post surgery?

Anyone else know how hard and fast that "rule" is?

I can't view your stats from my phone - what was your beginning weight, current weight and goal weight?

I can only share my own experience now 14 months post-op. I started this journey at 5'7", 241 pounds and was 226 the day of surgery. My surgeon predicted I would be 160 by a year out. That's a loss of 66 pounds post WLS. The first 6 months I lost the majority of my weight. I recorded everything in a journal, so exactly 6 months later I weighed 171. That's a loss of 55 pounds. Looking through my journal it took me another 3 months to lose another 10 pounds to get down to 160. Another 2 months after that to drop down to 150. My body has decided it wants to now stay between 150-153 for now. The closer you get to goal, the slower the weight comes off.

Most surgeons predict that most WLS patients will lose 65% of their excess weight. For example, if you are 100 pounds over weight, that means you will lose 65 pounds of it. Only you can decide if you want to fall into that statistic or be one of the people who loses 100% of their weight. I frequent these boards everyday and from what I can tell, those who have a lot of weight to lose rarely do it within one year. 14-18 months seems to be more realistic. I was a low BMI to begin with, so reaching it within a year made it a tad simpler.

Please don't compare your progress to anyone else. Your journey is your own. The last 6 months were torture for me as I didn't feel like I wasn't losing at all. Then one day I woke up and I was at goal. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will be too. I think the hardest part is that it is really easy to get off track the farther out from surgery you get. I recently attended my one year follow up class at my weight loss center. There were about 40 people there. Only myself and one other person raised their hand when asked who was at goal or near goal. Many people started at higher a BMI and were chugging along happily. Others had completely fallen off and eaten around there sleeve. 65 people were signed up for the class and only 40 showed up. I'm hoping the other 15 didn't fall off the program completely.

There is no expiration to the sleeve but the journey changes as you get further out from surgery. Now at 14 months I sill have awesome restriction but I could eat around it if I'm not careful. The early months is so important to adapt and make new, healthier lifestyle choices.

You're doing great. Come to BP and read the topics often. It's one thing I do of many that helps keep me on track. ❤❤❤

I'm with @@Bluesea71 -- sounds good to me.

I started at 235.7, weighed 216 day of surgery, and reached my goal of 150 at 8-1/2 months post-op.

The first 4 months post-op, I lost 10-11 pounds a month, which slowed in months 5-9 of losses from 4-7 pounds.

It's obvious why we lose less as we go along -- over time we weigh less (and are burning fewer calories) and we're eating more (in my case, on purpose, since I didn't want my body to learn how to maintain on a starvation diet).

You don't say what your weight was when you started or what or how much you're eating. Without knowing that, I can't say much more than "Yea, you! Keep going!"

FYI, at 6 months post-op (like you), I was down a total of 73.2 pounds and down 53.2 pounds since surgery.

P.S. BTW, good on you for exercising so well. And for losing 13.2 inches in your waist already. Those are wonderful changes you've made.

Thanks everyone. Sorry I forgot my stats in the original post.

Surgery was 12/9/14

Day of surg I was 318.8

Current weight 255.5

My doctor actually never set a goal weight with me. The PA briefly discussed 145 but The possibility of me getting as low as 130. I'm 5'5" so I don't see how that's possible.

I'm already 6 months out and 63 lbs down. My dr has me on a pace of 12-24 lbs every 3 months which is 1-2lbs a week. At that rate I will not make even a "goal" of 150 in a year +

I'm okay with this process taking as long as it takes, as long as it continues to go in the right direction. Like I said my main concern was the fact that all the literature and my doctor had said that all the weight needed to be lost within a year to year and a half from the surgery and at this rate I won't make that cut off. Basically what I've heard is that your body figures out what's going on and losing weight after that point becomes impossible? Difficult? Stops? I'm not sure. That's why I wrote this post to the veterans who had weight to lose after that year mark and seeing how successful they were.

I just saw this post tonight. Maybe they can share their experience. Just remember there are plenty of people on here who have successfully lost a lot of weight and got to goal. You need to stay focused on your goal and not give up! Cowgirl Jane is one I can think of who I believe started over 300 pounds and is now at goal weight. Maybe look her up?

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/341070-2-Years-after-Sleeve-surgery---I-have-stopped-losing/page__view__findpost__p__3842422

I'm scheduled for June 3rd so my opinion is theory at this point, but I plan to live by it unless something happens to prove it wrong.

Think of the sleeve as a tool that some people need to help them loose weight. It cannot simply take the weight off for you, so what you will get out of it will depend on how you use it. A person can use a drill to help build a wall or help build a house. WLS can help you lose minimal weight or surpass the average. So you decide. ... do you want to build a wall or use your tool (putting in alot of extra work) to build a castle?