Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting for my surgery approval/date

Hi everyone! I am a 32 year old mom of 2. I started my bariatric surgery process on February 18th. I have completed all necessary requirements and now I'm waiting for approval and surgery date ????????????. I honestly cannot wait. I've been overweight since I was 5 with bouts of weight loss over the years, but nothing has stuck. This is my last resort. I'm so ready for this life change!!

Hi, @@smrogg! I'm at the same place as you--I have all the pre-op testing done, now I'm just waiting for the insurance approval before I can schedule my surgery. Waiting is very frustrating, isn't it? I've decided to use this time to...

...so that I'm as ready as possible for surgery. I had a couple of weeks where I was having entirely too many "food funerals," so now that I'm getting closer, I'm trying to get my act together.

What procedure are you going to be having?

Edited by lauraellen80

Hi @lauraellen80. I'm having gastric bypass. I too have been having too many food funerals as you call them ????. I am looking forward to eating right and getting energy!! My weight has held me back from a lot of things and it's only getting worse so something has got to give. I exercise and only a few pounds comes off. My biggest struggle is remembering to eat and when I do eat I'm so hungry I don't make the best choices. I haven't tried any of the shakes yet, bc my dr wants me to wait until I have my date to start. My BMI is 43.0 and my insurance requires a minimum of 40.0 to be eligible, so he doesn't have me on a plan yet. But once I get my date I will be using them! My husband had bypass a year ago in December and has lost 160 pounds. He's a new man! And I'm hoping we can support each other in this journey so that we are both successful at it. Waiting is terrible, although it's only been 2 days since my last dr appt. but I'm hoping to hear soon. The anticipation and worry if not getting approved is killing me. Although I meet all requirements there's always that "what if"

I called my surgeon's office earlier this morning and found out my insurance approval went through, and I'm scheduled for surgery June 15th!

Good luck to you, @smrogg--I hope you hear something soon!

That's fantastic!!!! Congratulations!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel for you. How long have you been waiting for your date? Just trying to get a feel for my anticipation ????. So happy for you!!

It actually went really quickly--I finished my pre-op testing on 5/11. Then after some confusion with my bloodwork results being sent to my PCP but not the surgeon's office, the surgeon submitted a letter to my insurance this Monday. My mom was breathing down my neck today about at least getting an idea of when my surgery might be (she's going to fly out and stay a few days during/after my surgery... she's a nurse, and I'm a wimpy only child, okay?)... so I called the surgeon's office today, and they said that they got my insurance approval already! I was shocked that it took less than a week!! I have Independence Blue Cross/Keystone Health Plan East, BTW.

That's awesome. I hope mine goes just as quickly. I have Cigna. I keep getting preparing myself for the phone call saying I was denied, but I don't think there is a reason they would deny it. I just have a habit of preparing for the worst. My husband yells at me all the time because I'm so negative. That's great that your mom will be coming to help you and you have a good support system. I bet you will recover quickly. I'm not too worried about the surgery myself. I've had 2 c-sections and I also just had my gall bladder removed in preparation for bypass. They use the same incisions for bypass and I was fine with the gall bladder surgery. It's not so bad, but having help is always a plus. My husband plans to take a few days off from work to help with the kids as I recover.

Ha, yeah, I can empathize on being a pessimist. My philosophy has always been, "Assume that the worst is going to happen; if it does, you were prepared for it, if not, it's a pleasant surprise!" Working on that in therapy now...

I've never had surgery, other than wisdom teeth being taken out about 15 years ago. I've been under general anesthesia a few times in the last year for epidural steroid injections for back and S/I joint pain, but never have been "cut open." At least it's laparoscopic!

Edited by lauraellen80

Yes! Thank God. I was back to my normal self in about 2 weeks. I have SI joint problems too. It sucks!!! I just had a cortisone shot about two weeks ago and it felt better but now I'm feeling the pain again.

I finally meet with my surgeon tomorrow for the first time and do some labs to begin the process. I don't know how long from meeting with the surgeon until I'm approved and can schedule surgery. I'm hoping for July 29th as that is good for my department at work (no vacations scheduled for the weeks after that). Hoping the meeting tomorrow goes well.

I started this process LAST JULY! It has taken me this long to get approval from my doctor to move forward. I think I needed that time to actually get my head on straight and really take this thing seriously but now I'm ready. Wish me luck.

Good luck! You have been waiting a long time. Hopefully it will be before July 29! I know work can put such stresses on workers due to vacations but you have to do this for yourself. They will just have to handle work without you until you recover.

Met with the surgeon yesterday and was told I can't get the Roux n y because of severe hysterectomy scaring and a large ventral hernia. He is willing to do the sleeve but says even that will be difficult. I heard that people with these scars can do Roux n y if they open them up instead of laparoscopy but I didn't ask him about that because I don't want another open procedure. My recovery from hysterectomy was difficult.

So, now I just wait for insurance approval and then hope for that July 29th surgery date. It coincides with my family coming home for a reunion so I will have plenty of support. :-) Another step in the process completed!

@laurenellen I got my date!!! June 29th!!! Let the freaking out begin!! How are you doing? Getting close huh??

@smrogg--Yay! So happy for you!

I am a total bundle of nerves today--I'm supposed to be getting a call today from my surgeon's office with my surgery time for Monday. Ack!