Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had a hernia and had WLS done before the hernia repair? Everything I have read says have WLS first and after you lose weight, take care of the hernia. I also know they won't do both at once. I am afraid that because of the hernia open WLS will be necessary.

I had my Hernia repaired some years ago and a 1-2 hour surgery took over 4 hours. The doctor said there was little tissue to put the hernia back in and had to piece me back together inside. He wasn't sure if it would last and told me not to gain weight or get constipated. Well, it tore out again when I was going to the bathroom about a year after surgery and then I started gaining weight. I know they will not do another hernia repair as long as I am this heavy. I wear an abdominal binder 24/7 to keep it from coming out further. I also have scar tissue from it.Medicare here in TX will only approve open surgery for Bypass.

Louise

Oh yes ,the same doctor (general surgeon) did my Gall Bladder surgery. He discovered I have some liver damage from Non-alcoholic cirrhosis and that surgery took a lot longer than the hernia one. My incision from that one is probably 10" long. The scar looks like someone took a butcher knife to me. When he pulled the staples, pus and Water squirted out two feet in the air. (sorry to be so graphic.) I had to have wound care for several months till it healed. He cut so many nerves in the second surgery I had NO pain post-op and still have no feeling down there. WLS will be a piece of cake compared to the last two!! LOL

This WLS I will be seeing is also a General Surgeon. He will do a Tummy Tuck for his WLS patients. Wouldn't it be nice if he could do the hernia repair AND tummy tuck at the same time?

Oh yes, my Non-alcoholic cirrhosis has been controlled for over 2 years by medication. My liver doctor is 100% behind me regarding WLS.

I don't think anyone on here can competently answer that question! I did not know I had a hernia and had no symptoms. The surgeon discovered it during the surgery and repaired it. I know that there are quite a few people on this forum that have had both done together (sleeve and hernia repair), however, you are presenting with a past history that can affect surgical requirements now.

Good luck!

I had a hernia repair along with my vsg only took 1.5 hrs

I think what needs to be asked here is what TYPE of hernia do you have? If it is a hiatal hernia, like mine was, it may be repaired during the WLS. If it is another type of hernia, in a different location, it may need to be done separately.

The hernia I am concerned about is the abdominal one. I also have a hiatial hernia. That one he maybe can correct while he is doing the WLS. At least there is no scar tissue there. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Louise

I am in the same boat regarding nerve damage, and so no sensation in my abdominal area. Thus I had only the tiniest bit of pain for my WLS. Certainly a breeze compared my other surgeries! Maybe those other surgeries had dual purposes...hmmm..........