Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss, sleeve vs bypass

I have done some reading and based on what I read, you only loose about 60-75%

of the weight that you need to loose on the sleeve Is this true, or can you actually

lose the full amount of your goal weight So if I am 100 pounds overweight I would onlylose 60-75 lbs. and not the full 100; and also you lose 2-4 lbs. per week. However I

read with the bypass you would lose more weight and lose it faster.

I also wanted to let everyone know how awesome you are!!!

Those numbers are averages. Like with any average, there are plenty of people who lose more and plenty who lose less. My husband and I both had surgery on 09/11/2014. I needed to lose 180 pounds and have lost 107 so far. My husband needed to lose 93 pounds and has lost 100 pounds, so he's lost 107% of his excess weight. I'm losing slower now than I was at first, but still overall I've averages 3.17 pounds per week.

I would strongly encourage you to research which is best for you. I chose VSG because I didn't want to have the resection of my intestines. I also thought that losing weight a little slower would reduce my chances for sagging skin. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I'm only 4 weeks out and down a little more than 30 pounds since surgery.

Edited by 1SlimmerMe

My main concern was the ability to take N-Saids for my arthritis. I can, with my Doctor's approval, with the sleeve (which I chose). My understanding is that the by-pass won't allow it for ulcerations. I think the weight loss amount will be primarily up to you.

Those EWL averages are just that, AVERAGES. There are plenty of people who lose 100% or more of their excess weight with sleeve and bypass. There are a lot of people who only lose maybe 30-40%. Either surgery is just a tool. You still have to eat right and do the work. If you are 100% complaint with either surgery, I have no doubt you could lose all of your excess weight. The main difference is that RNY is malabsorbative. So you are physically incapable of absorbing all of the calories you eat. The same exact patient with the same exact level of compliance will lose more with RNY, because of the passive element of the malabsorption.

Thank you for your answers and I was just kind of curious based on what I had read. I am wanting to go with the sleeve.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches