Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery 4/23. I have an persistent tickle in my throat. I am just on liquids and they seem to go down fine. But wonder if this could be regurg? It doesn't burn. Also have secretions that make me cough also. I haven't been drinking all my Protein shakes. They just aren't appealing. broth, juice and popsicles mostly. Is it something i should worry about. I am sipping not gulping. The tickle and trigger to cough happens even a long time after drinking

Thanks

@@Rn4val you are most likely very swollen still from surgery, and could also have some breathing difficulty from anesthesia. You want to practice taking deep breaths and coughing up that mucus. I know it's not fun and it can be very uncomfortable but to not do so could cause pneumonia.

Keep sipping away, and only take small sips. Use a medicine cup if you need to, and take small sips. Don't worry so much about getting all your shakes in but keep hydrated. Ice pops are a great way to do that and also help the internal swelling.

It never hurts to give your doctor a call and let them know what's going on and ask their advice.

Hope your feeling better soon.

You are so close to surgery that it may well be just be swelling/ irritation.

Further down the line, a persistent cough is a danger signal. As you say, it can be a sign of reflux, even whenwe are not aware of the reflux itself, it is even referred to as "hidden" or "silent" reflux as there is no other symptom. Not only can reflux be a sign we are too tight and so at risk of harm because of that, the reflux itself can also cause oesophageal problems or even aspiration pneumonia. So it needs to be taken very seriously.

But it is always worth a call to your medical team if you have concerns.

Have you been practicing your breathing exercizes or have they mentioned those to you? They told me it's a good idea to walk around for at least 5 minutes every so often and inhale deeply to get secretions out of your lungs. I think it's something with the anethesia that makes you have mouscous in your lungs and you have to cough it up post op. Try inhaling and exhaling. I coughed up stuff for about 9 days.

I am over 2 years post op sleeve. I have had the same problem persistently since then. Went to the doctor , he asked if I was having reflux problems... I certainly didn't feel like it ...It was dismissed as allergies , something I have never had a problem with before either. Finally out of desperation, I went to a very good ear, nose & throat doctor , who used a scope to see what was going on... Finally it was determined I did not have GERD , I have SILENT reflux . Never heard of such a thing , but look it up... The symptoms fit me to a tee. He knew it was a common side effect of the sleeve. Hope this helps !

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App