Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, weird question.

Prior to surgery when I was at my heaviest weight, my periods became light and nearly non existent.

This is my first cycle since surgery and its the heaviest and most uncomfortable period I can remember in years.

My cramps and bloating are a complete nuisance and the sad thing is I can't take Advil! I am down about 45 lbs. and wonder if maybe it's just my body getting back on track.

Any ideas or similarities?

I'm down 70 lbs. and my last period was like this. My next one is in a few days so I'll see how that goes and let you know.

I had a seriously out of whack cycle preop and it went on for like 8 years. Nothing for months, then a 'light drizzle' for a month or more. There were a few times something changed to make me actually be on a normal cycle for a few months or more during that time. One of those times I started birth control, one time I lost a significant amount of weight, and then I eventually had surgery after I'd regained it. All of those times I had a really rough first period or two. They were excessively crampy and extremely heavy. However, after that things evened out in all of those situations. Feel better soon :)

I have PCOS so my periods were irregular and when I did have them they were very heavy with clots. My gyno suggested the Mirena IUD so I got it. Six months later no periods or cramps ever again! Fast forward two years and I have my sleeve surgery. Then I had a period. Not too bad, just light spotting. Then the cramps. Oh wow! I forgot how much periods SUCK! Now I get it mostly every month. Thankfully because of my IUD they aren't heavy, mostly just spotting, but the cramps and cravings...the struggle is real! I'm happy my hormones are regulating though. That's a good sign!

Surgery didn't interrupt my hormones at all. The first one post op was a bear though! I can sympathize... They will get better!

After surgery mine became very heavy. My surgeon warned me of this and while I always had cramps so I keep Tylenol with me even though I was cleared for midol.

(I was told that taking it for a couple days a month won't hurt my sleeve but didn't want to take any chances)

If I remember correctly the body stores estrogen in fat cells. When you have rapid weight loss all that extra estrogen from the fat that was burned is dumped into your body. the high levels of estrogen can therefore make your period heavier and for some women that are recently menopausal it can restart their periods.

I think this will go away when the weight loss slows down.

I am 5 months post op and AF is 18 days late...???? i took like 4 hpt and all were negative thank God!!! But i'm not sure what may be going on. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? ????

My first one after surgery was late, other then that nothing unusual.