Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain 6 yrs post surgery

Greetings everyone! I had my surger in 2009 and I dropped down to 176, size 12/14. I kept the weight off for a while, but this past year I've gained 20 pounds. In my mind I know what to do, how to eat, what exercise to do, but I just feel like the biggest failure. Believe me, I'm not one to have a pitty party for 1, but lately I've just been feeling so down. I know the VSG is a tool and I know, clearly, you can gain weight back, but I wanted to know if there was anyone else out there like that has been successful, but then gained weight. I haven't gained all of my weight back, THANK YOU JESUS and my size 14 clothes still fit (barely). Size 16 fits better and I DO NOT want to go back in the 200s. Anyone out there like me? I know its all a mental thing, but sometimes having someone to talk to helps. Thanks for reading.

-Cyncha21-

I am still in the honeymoon phase, but I can be supportive. Its time to get back on track. If you keep making the same mistakes you are only hurting yourself. Get better one meal or one day at a time. No one is perfect. The important thing is that you realized you are going in the wrong direction. Get back to basics and get some more exercise in. You can do this.

@@Cyncha21, sorry you're struggling right now, but at six years out, you KNOW how important positive attitude and personal accountability has been and will continue to be FOR LIFE. So, first and foremost--you are NOT a failure! And you will not go back into the 200's if you CHOOSE not to. At every moment, the choice is ALWAYS in our hands.

I am four years out, and have to work at this every single day, sometimes even a single minute at a time! It takes a lot of mental work to let go of that old way of eating we've always done, and truly ACCEPT that my way of life now does not include those old unhealthy eating habits. Even though it can be HARD, wow, the rewards are sooo worth it!

When I get "tired" and frustrated with the constant dedication it takes to make the right choices for my WLS life, sometimes I just have to have a real honest "reality check" chat with myself about my habits and lifestyle:

(1) Have I slipped back to some of those old, familiar and comfortable (for me, lazy) eating habits (too many processed starchy carbs, too much fast food, not enough real food meals prepared at home, grazing all day, etc)?

(2) Am I moving my body every day to get the exercise I need?

(3) Am I keeping my stress under control? (That means am I taking good care of MY mental well-being!)

(4) I have to remind myself that food is medicine and fuel for my body, and it wants to have food that keeps it healthy. All the junk I WANT to feed it does nothing to nourish my cells and keep my body systems running efficiently.

(5) I remember back to "WHY" I decided to have surgery in the first place. It re-sparks that motivation.

It sounds trite, but you DO have the POWER to get back on track. You have proven you are a survivor, made up of strong stuff, because here you are, six years later!

Maybe you can find an in-person WLS support group through your medical team or local hospital? Sometimes that can be really helpful too.

Be kind to yourself. You are so worth it. We WLSers are special people...

@@Stephanie Stroup McIntosh

@LivingFree!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. Your words of wisdom and encouragement really did help. Today I did a lot better ! I got myself a fit bit and met all of my daily goals. 1 day at a time!