Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my gastric bypass done on November 29th 2010 that was suppose to be the start of my new life. That day my wife and I were told that the surgery went well so she headed home. The next morning they take me down to drink that nasty liquid and watch pass through well mine didn't pass it would stop. So no liquids for me that day, the next morning they send me down again and this time it seems to be going through just really slow so they ok me to have Water. That 2nd night I woke up screaming in pain it felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest so the nurses dope me up and I fell asleep. The next morning I was woke up by a room full of nurses and doctors who were rushing me down to have a CT scan done. While in the elevator I was given my last rites by the hospital chaplain. I was taken to intensive care where I heard my doctor say surgery is in an hour and then I heard him say I'm prepping him for surgery we have to go now. The nurse had said my heart rate was through the roof and was trying to get it down to help with the pain while my doctor is running pick lines down through my neck. My wife walked in the room where she freaks out crying what's going on they didn't have time to call her and they took her to a room where the chaplain gave my last rites to my wife. That's the last thing I remember for the most part I had a couple crazy dreams that seemed real. I awaken tied down and a breathing tube down my throat and the nurse saying they were waiting to get the okay to remove the tube. What seemed like forever I laid there tapping on the railing with that pulse finger thing until they took that breathing tube out. When I woke up the next morning my wife was standing over me crying and I said why are you crying I had surgery 3 days ago and I'm alright. She then informed me that my surgery was 10 days ago and I had just woken up from being in a coma for the last 7 days. I didn't believe her at first until I seen cards from family. She said that I had a staple that tore and I was leaking blood, bile and feces after my rectum exploded and it caused me to become septic. She says that I lost 3/4 of my blood and had to have a blood transfusion due to blood loss. The Dr didn't know if I was going to live and if they didn't catch it when they did I would of died in about 15 minutes. She shows me pictures of my family who made the drive from Ohio to Milwaukee, Wisconsin where I live. She was like your brother climbed in bed with you and wouldn't leave my side for days. My sister would file my nails and put lotion on for me. My 5 and 2 years old daughters would sing for me daily trying to get me to wake up. I had to have a feeding tube put in the middle of my chest as well. After days of my white blood cells being low they released me after 15 days of hell. I got out 10 days before Christmas and that was the greatest gift I could ever give my daughters. I'm had to have blood drawn everyday for 10 days and I had to use a walker for over 2 months. The feeding tube was removed after 14 days of being home and that wasn't a pretty thing to look at my wife was the best taking care of me. I was able to finally drive and return to work 3 months later. I found out later on that I was the 2nd person to have this happen and the first was 10 years earlier. They have done over 2000 surgeries and it had to happen to me. I was very angry at first always asking why me what did I do that it happened to me. I couldn't sleep at first and to this day I still process everything that happened to me every night. I'm still very upset and angry but I'm dealing with it the best I can. I have had major issues over the 5 years since the surgery was done. My stomach hurts 24 hours a day no matter what I do it's worse when I sneeze or laugh. Eating can be a major pain but the worse is going to the bathroom. I have been on 60mg Morphine and 10mg Oxycodone to help with the pain over the past 5 years. They say I have permanent scar tissue damage and to many other things to list. The highlight is the 200lbs I lost and have kept off for 5 years. I have my moments where I wish I was still fat due to the complications the doctors still don't know what really happened. I do still recommend the surgery even with all the BS I went through it gave me an extra 30-40 years to watch my children grow. My wife went and had her gastric bypass done with the same doctor and the same hospital 2 years after mine. She wasn't going to go through with the operation after seeing my near death. I told her this is your dream to have this done and have a normal life and we can do things with our children that you can't do when your morbidly obese. She finally agreed after I gave her that nudge to get it done and she flew through it in and out in 3 days. I pray that nobody has to go through what I went through I suffer complications to this day and I have my ups and downs but when I look at my wife and kids I know I made the right decision to have the operation done and I would do it again tomorrow if need be!

I'm rendered speechless. Thank you for sharing. I think anyone considering WLS surgery should have the opportunity to read your post. Congratulations on mustering the strength to endure, and the courage to share your story.

I am sorry to hear you had such a rough go of it.

Though my complications weren't anywhere near as bad as yours, I had a tough time and my dr has been doing this for years and he told me I was his first to have complications like I did. I was so angry because it seemed everyone else sailed through with no problems and I was so sick. Why did I have the rotten luck? Or what did I do wrong that I screwed this up?

Of course before all surgeries we are told the risks. All kinds or horrible things, including death. And I was scared of complications. Everyone said no matter what they went through, they never regretted it. Well I did. I regretted it for a while.

Buuuht... Now I have almost fully recovered, my diabetes is in check, my weight is going down, my energy level is going up. I feel better, the only real problem I'm having now is I'm having trouble keeping food down sometimes. But even that isn't too bad.

When I was going through the worst health problem of my life, I couldn't find anyone who had been through what I had been. Well maybe we can help others who have issues with their surgeries.

I'm sorry for what happened to you. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with but thank goodness it wasn't the alternative.